PDA

View Full Version : What information do you get from this board

BSH
09-27-2002, 10:00 AM
I just read through the "Should I lay low..." thread. It was nice to hear that I am not alone in getting flamed because I answer questions and people don't like or agree with my answers.

Honestly, I don't tend to ask a lot of questions on this board. If I have a question, I ask my Sifu. If I didn't trust the answers he gave me, he wouldn't be my Sifu.

I tend to answer questions and give my opinion. Of course, I have a thick enough skin to deal with the flaming, but I come off as arrogent and "on a high horse" when I dare to not conform with other's thinking.

Enough of my comments. Now the question:

Does anyone ask questions on this board and expect a good informational answer? Are they specific or general questions?

MightyB
09-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Sometimes, but not really.

I post on this board because it passes time on slow days at work.

Too many kids, newbies, wannabees, chi-hippies, pajama-wearing-slap-taggers, BBJers, cronies, thugs, posers, and make-it-up-as-they goers (if I left anybody out, please forgive me) for this thing to be of much use. You got the right idea about listening to your sifu. That's where you'll get the most information.

Actually, the people on this board do have some good info on things like history, language, and philosophy, just don't expect to learn anything technique related. As a general rule, I stay away from the technique stuff unless I'm trolling or flaming (sometimes it's just fun to do,.. o.k.).

neptunesfall
09-27-2002, 10:15 AM
bah, i'm too closeminded and opionated to actually learn anything from anyone. ever.

Water Dragon
09-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, I found my current teacher on this board.

Also found a few people that I got to play with.

neptunesfall
09-27-2002, 10:28 AM
now that you mentioned it, i'd like to find some people to spar with. don't think anyone lives anywhere near me though.

eulerfan
09-27-2002, 10:36 AM
I don't completely, blindly trust what anybody has to say. Hell, I don't even trust my sifu implicitly. If I ask a question and get an answer, I think about it and see if it fits into my understanding, my logic, my reason.

Thus far, I've only asked one question here. On the tai chi board. It was about opening your kwa.

The response I got was along the lines of, "I would tend to agree with A...." followed by some supporting logic. PERFECT!

Now, I have no intention of leaving that with, "I will now do A."

But, my understanding of the question is clearer. That's all I really want. I don't want somebody else to give me the answer. I want help answering it myself.

Now, if somebody flames you because you disagree, isn't that suspect? I think that betrays a deeper insecurity. To me, that means that the person is afraid to really discuss it becasue their understanding of it is just that shakey. It's kind of sad, really.

Former castleva
09-27-2002, 10:58 AM
"Does anyone ask questions on this board and expect a good informational answer? "

Definetely.Lots of good stuff,opinion related stuff and plain joking.

Dark Knight
09-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Whats nice with boards like this is sometimes your instructors dont have certain information, or are lying to you to keep you.

I see this alot, an instructor tells his students that they have the true_____ martial art, or in other arts they have never seen a certain technique, or they tell you what another style is about and you dont need to find out.

On this board there are a lot of people who dont know what Ju-Jitsu really is or there is a difference between Ju-Jitsu and MMA.

On the internet you get to meet many people with different styles and views, you may not find a better style or method but a way to improve your training. Or learn history and a multitude of other areas.

SaMantis
09-27-2002, 12:12 PM
I have learned that BJJ is superior ... I am giving up my current martial art because it is no good against the incredible fighting power of BJJ. At least that is what I have been told on this board. ;)

There's good information here, the trick is sorting the BS from the useful. But then, that's true of a lot of things in life.

Chang Style Novice
09-27-2002, 12:36 PM
I never knew you could smite your enemies and toke a bowl all with one easy, compact battle ax/hashpipe before today.

HuangKaiVun
09-27-2002, 12:42 PM
I learn a ton about people - and the styles that they practice.