PDA

View Full Version : Hands up, Elbows down, Eyes wide open

fa_jing
09-28-2002, 07:50 PM
Why is it so fricking difficult? :mad:

SevenStar
09-28-2002, 08:02 PM
if you're not used to having your elbows in, it can be uncomfortable and feel unnatural. notice how someone untrained - heck even some that are trained - flare their elbows and sometimes have them bowed out when their guard is up. also, size can play a factor. take a big guy with broad shoulders like me - when you have bigger shoulders and arms, you may sometimes have problems with it, especially in the beginning.

Chang Style Novice
09-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Seems real natural to me. But then, I got punched in the ribs hard a lot when I was younger.

HuangKaiVun
09-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Because some body types do not function well with that type of stance.

Arm length, bone structure, muscle type - all of those come into play for the individual.

Not all moves are meant for all folks.

CD Lee
09-28-2002, 09:04 PM
It is friggin hard because it is fun to put your elbows up and out to do all the work. Plus, keeping the head down is a natural reaction to stress.

This was also very difficult at first for me. The head up, elbows down, did not feel natural at all to me, but it feels much better now. Gotta do lots of standing and postures, and your body will start to feel when you drift back to old habits over time.

rubthebuddha
09-29-2002, 12:57 AM
it's a stress issue, i think. watch anyone anytime they hear a loud, unexpected bang -- they instinctively bring their head down and arms up to cover it. it's instinct, because those who didn't do this naturally wound up with a spear in the noggin or a branch on the crown.

fa_jing
09-29-2002, 07:11 PM
It is a psychological thing, to be sure. Once you get in there, keeping your wits about you is exceedingly difficult. The shoulders tend to rise with tension. I drop my hands and forget them as well. When I start getting hit, I start to close my eyes. I use up more energy then a good martial artist, to do the same amount of work. My task is to tame the monkey mind, I suppose. Anyway I'm commited to the stance, it's not a question whether it suits me, but rather the basis for what I am trying to do.

SevenStar
09-29-2002, 07:46 PM
shadowbox. go 12 rounds. when you get tired, stop punching, and focus on keeping your hands up. between rounds, take an "Active rest" use the rest period to hold your hands up. eventually you will get into the habit of keeping them up, and also get used to the burn you may feel when your arms get tired.

fa_jing
09-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Shadowboxing is something that I enjoy and want to do more of. I don't drop my hands from getting tired anymore, that's something I got over after the first year or so. I drop them due to not keeping track of them. The more I can practice punching and bringing my hands straight back to the guard position, the better. That advice about the "active rest" is good, because you are training your attention as well as your endurance.