PDA

View Full Version : all bagua tournament

Wan Ma Kai
09-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Who went to the tournament?????:cool:

MonkeyBoy
09-29-2002, 10:41 AM
Is there going to be video footage of the event available soon?

wiz cool c
09-29-2002, 12:04 PM
I saw it it was part of the wong fei hung tournament. The push hands was very good and the sparring was interesting. In the sparring they would move around and do open hand stike at each other and throw a kick here and there.

count
09-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Hopefully the seed will grow and branch out into an annual tradition. Two thumbs up to BlackTaoist and his students. You guys won the day. Thumbs down to all you guys and girls who said you'd be there and didn't show or sat on your hands. Don't miss out next year!

phil
09-30-2002, 08:16 AM
ummm.....so how was it? In terms of how were the seminars, demonstrators, any masters' demo, did the fighting actually feature bagua usage, etc? A positive review is fine, but some description would really be useful.

Thanks,
Phil

MonkeySlap Too
09-30-2002, 09:28 AM
I'd love to hear how it went - from each of your perspectives. Let's hear it!

CD Lee
09-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Is there or is there going to be a posting of who the winners were, in each category? This may be on BT's website?

TenTigers
09-30-2002, 01:16 PM
I really liked what I saw. Of course there were some 'questionable' forms out there, but all in all, it was good. The shuai-jiao was pretty interesting, the sparring was a little chaotic, but this is a new event, a new arena, and it will take some time to get the bugs out. These are students with limited experience, so it is natural that under duress, they will fall back on what comes out naturally-untill they develop the conditioned responses. I admit I was a little hasty in judging them, and after thought and consideration, I think that they did fine.
Congratulations and deepest respect goes out to these men who had the guts, determination, and courage to develop this new venue for Ba-gua. I can see this becoming a new tradition at future events.

Bobba Fett
09-30-2002, 08:47 PM
I heard that there was a "ring" for the Bagua competition and that participants were docked points or penalized if they went outside the "ring." Not being there, and only hearing about this secondhand, I wonder if someone could comment on this.

If there was a ring, what size was it? If it were a small ring, wouldn't this tend to cramp or restrict the bagua movements?

count
09-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by phil
ummm.....so how was it? In terms of how were the seminars, demonstrators, any masters' demo, did the fighting actually feature bagua usage, etc? A positive review is fine, but some description would really be useful.

Thanks,
Phil
Like hispanic palm said in the other thread, there will be workshops and stuff next year and they invited everyone they knew who was associated with bagua. No demos though :(. In my opinion, a few of the fights turned into brawls but everyone tried their best to only use bagua and stay in the confines of the rules.

As far as the ring, I know I lost alot of points because of the size. It did seem small to me, but it was still fun.

PS, I noticed you at the tourny TenTigers. Man, if there was ever someone who looked like their profile, it is you. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

circle_walker
09-30-2002, 09:39 PM
I really enoyed the tounament, it was really worth the trip out there. The push hands was the highlight of the event for me, but I enjoyed everything. I will say that some Bagua looked questionable to me, but I've never seen anything outside of my lineage. I really look forward to competing next year. Maybe then I'll have the time/funds to hang out with more of the Bagua players. I really enjoyed meeting Maoshan, Blacktaoist, Count, and many others over there. Taking the trip out there was not easy for me to accomplish, but the tournament and the people were totally worth it. I don't know if I could've had a better time, but I plan on finding out next year.

Lincoln
10-01-2002, 04:58 PM
I went to the tournament and I had allot of fun and met some very cool people. I feel fortunate to have been able to participate in the first tournament dedicated to Bagua. I was under the impression beforehand that there were going to be allot more people participating. I am sure next year there will be because it seemed to go off fairly smooth. I thought that they should have made all of the rules clear before the sparring started. I did not realize until the end of the second round that I was losing a point every time I stepped off of the mat. The mat was about 10 or 12 feet on each side, kind of small I thought. I also think that they should have given more time to rest between fights. I was also hoping to see a little more variety of forms being performed. These are just a couple of my thoughts.

Lincoln

TenTigers
10-02-2002, 04:23 PM
um..I look like a dinosaur? :-)

CD Lee
10-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Could somebody please describe how the push hands competition went? Was it a shoving match or was there good skill being displayed?

Stai-Nyce
10-03-2002, 09:05 AM
the push hands event was more of a wrestling match until it got to the advanced stage.
two of my senior brothers showed us how it was supposed to be done.
their was no weight catagory just skill level seperation.
I was in the intermediate and got PUSHED/shoved out fo the ring more times so i lost. but next time
it was still a good time.
peace to Count for showing up.
Where the hell is RAZAK?

count
10-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Stai-Nyce
peace to Count for showing up.
Where the hell is RAZAK?
Peace back at ya Stai-Nyce. It was worth the trip! And where was Razak? I wanted to meet him. Did he ever show up?

Stai-Nyce
10-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Nope
maybe I'll see him this weekend.
PEACE

blacktaoist
10-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Congratulations to:

Lincolin, count, Andy, and everybody that came to Maoshan Ba Gua Zhang tournament competition. hope to see you guys next year. I had allot of fun.

Lincolin don't kill anybody with your side palm attacks and front kicks. you are a good Ba Gua fighter, keep practicing hard.

peace out.:)

Lincoln
10-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Black Taoist,

Thank you for the kind words. I am sorry that I did not get to hang around to talk to you guys a little. I had to catch the bus back into Manhattan. Maybe next year I will have the time to get to talk with everyone. Thank you very much for all the hard work that you and Maoshan put into it! Next year if you have the same division rules I will have to start practicing sparring. I will be in the advanced division with your guys.:eek:

Peace,
Lincoln

count
10-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by blacktaoist
Congratulations to:

Lincolin, count, Andy, and everybody that came to Maoshan Ba Gua Zhang tournament competition. hope to see you guys next year. I had allot of fun.
peace out.:)
Thanks BlackTaoist, I had fun too. I just hope next year you find some time to do a workshop or something. Maybe the throws of Yin Style Baguazhang>

blacktaoist
10-03-2002, 09:11 PM
count you did good, I feel all you guys did very good. I think alot of you guys just have to work more on endurance (breathing) I know Ben was pushing you guys very hard........LOL not much rest.......but you guys was doing your thing, so I have respest for you guys.

You guys are not just taking Bull$hit. not many people have a strong will to step in a ring and try to use their Ba Gua Zhang, you guys are true Warriors.

This year tournament was a try out, and learning experience for me and maoshan. I Know next year will be better, because next year we will be giving away some money and a Big Ba Gua Zhang sword to the Ba Gua Zhang grandchampion.

Count I'm thinking about doing a workshop next year on A few of the Palm change of CaoZhongSheng method of Yin Ba Gua Zhang and fighting applications.

I'm just happy you guys had fun and nobody got hurt......well not real bad.............LOL

Peace out.

blacktaoist
10-03-2002, 09:28 PM
Before I forget, Congratulations to Frank Allen and his students, and many thanks to Frank Allen for all his help with the tournament. He is a true martial art brother.

Frank had one student that was very good, this guy was thowing one of Roosevelt Gainey students easy. he had a good inside K'ou Pu sweeping technique. Big guy, I don't think he was American. No matter he was a good fighter.

Peace out.

Muppet
10-04-2002, 01:08 PM
By any chance, did any of Li Tai Liang's bagua students show up?

As far as I know, none of his current, regular bagua students in NY have studied for more than a year or so, so I would be surprised if they did.

Also, did any of Park Bok Nam's students show up to compete? :D

PS Blacktaoist, I know you're mainly promoting bagua, but maybe next year there can be a combined hsing-i/bagua tournament?

blacktaoist
10-04-2002, 01:51 PM
Muppet I think a few months ago a poster from emptyFlower Forum was going to do a all Hsing Yi Boxing tournament. I forget the poster name. Maybe the tournament is still on? If it is I know I be there.

But Muppet I was thinking of doing something like that, But only Hsing Yi Boxing. There would only be Hsing Yi forms and fighting,no push hands.

I would think the Hsing Yi fighting would be more fierce, then the BaGuaZhang fighting. I still practice my Hsing Yi Boxing I learn from B.P. Chan and I think Hsing is just one art you can't play around with. All killler mindset."

No body from Park school show up , But i would have like for them to show up, that way we could have killed all this beef and controversy Bull$hit. I think I'm a cool guy when you get to know me. All I care about right know is people seeing BaGuaZhang as a true martial art. maybe next year some of Park's people will show.

As for Li Tai well you are right. Maybe next year.

I hear tony Yang is doing a good Kung fu tournament, They sent me some information by e-mail, I wanted to go, But I have somethings I have to take care of at home. But next year I have to go, because he sent a student to my event.

maoshan
10-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Peace all,

First, I would like to Thank All the participants that came and supported this event .
In particular I thank BT, Hispanic Palm(Lance) and Frank Allen For the day of the event.
These Three men worked with me to make this tournament run smoothly from beginning to end, with no break inbetween.
Both My classmate and student Were with me from the beginning,
but, i'm talking about the event itself.
thanks guys.

Compeditors,
I commend you all for your efforts as well as your sencerity and devotion in the practice and promotion of Ba-Gua. people came from CA,TX, NC and, OH as well as New York. It was fun as well as revealing. Some made New life long friends others had the chance to exchange with each other, some were exposed to other styles for the first time. All in all a good show.

As my brother pointed out, breathing was the point I looked at during the fighting. Endurance training is a must.
Other than that every body did just fine.

It was a pleasure meeting you all. hopefully I'll see ya'll at next years event, Which will have A GRANDCHAMPION prize of a sword
(not some cheap $hit) and $$$$.
But trust me your going to have to work for it.

To all the winners, My best.
to all supporters, my sincerest gratitude.
Let's work together to raise the standard of Ba-Gua and not let it do a parawet off into that long goodnight of extinction as a martial art.

Peace
Maoshan

count
10-07-2002, 06:33 AM
It was great meeting you face to face. Your hard work is to be commended. The first time is always the hardest to pull off and you did a great job. I'm sure it will grow and I plan to be back with the rest of our group next time. In fact, go ahead and engrave that sword "count" right now.;)