PDA

View Full Version : Ryu goes to the market again.

Ryu
09-30-2002, 05:37 PM
This time with Taiwanese groupies! :D I had to do it once more... :( Just for old time's sake... actually I was shopping for the mid-autumn party I'm throwing tomorrow night. I will learn first hand how to cook a variety of Chinese food. :)

On another note.... I've been learning mandarin for over a month now (as well as continuing Japanese..) I never really had that much of a problem with Japanese pronounciation..... but the 5 tone stuff of mandarin is killing me. I can't seem to get it right.

Ryu

Ralek
09-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Ryu. Why don't get into challenge matches? You know BJJ so you are ready to kick a55. There's nothing more fun that fighting people you don't know.

Do you know any chinese people? Ask them to spar with you then just take them down and tap them out. It will be so funny when they find out that kung fu does not work against BJJ. Just try it.

Ryu
09-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Actually I have. Now one of them is my best friend, and in love with grappling. Though I got to say Ralek, some of the kung fu I've been shown is not all "flash". A lot of direct movements with lots of power and speed behind them....
A strong punch that hits you hurts no matter what style it's from, so you can't get c0cky about that stuff.

Besides, challenge matches are boring when you have cute girls cooking for you. :D

Ryu

Ralek
09-30-2002, 06:02 PM
"a punch is a punch"

No. You see there is a big difference between a boxer and a kung fu fighter. I kung fu fighter just throws punches into the air all day or if they do work with a partner it's just coreographed drills or "1 step sparring" or some other useless crap.

A boxer practices his punching while another person is actually trying to knock him unconcious. And he is actually trying to KO his oppennet too. Now they don't spar to KO all the time, sometimes just very hard contact without trying to KO. But you need hard contact sparring. And the kung fu style's are flawed anyway and don't work even with sparring.

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Now now, I did not say a "punch is a punch." I said "a strong punch that hits you hurts from any style." ;) That means that when people train to punch with speed, power, follow through, and land it on you.... it will hurt whether it's a boxing punch, a muay thai punch, a karate punch, a kung fu punch, etc.

Skill in punching is (or at least should be) universal. Styles that understand combat know that.

Anyway stop the hijacking! Did you train at a flight school in Florida? This thread is about me cooking chinese food with cute girls. :)

I can't understand why no one wants to talk about that? :(

oh well...... go ahead with the "skill in punching" thread.

Ryu

Ralek
09-30-2002, 06:13 PM
I prefer a microwave but whatever your into Ryu,i won't stop you. My microwave is so beautiful. We go everywhere together. She always makes my food just right. Sometimes my refridgerator gets jealous but i tell the beotch to shut it and go back to her corner.

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Yeah refridgerators can be a pain in the butt. It's in their nature.

By the way, who is teaching you Nihongo?

Ryu

Ralek
09-30-2002, 06:23 PM
^_^
(.)(.)
\ /
/ \
| | |

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:27 PM
That's a pretty big bust there.... I take it the woman teaching you is not Japanese?

Nyuk nyuk..... :D

Man, I'm in a weird mood tonight. This thread is gonna get erased for sure :D
Darn it.

Ryu

rogue
09-30-2002, 06:30 PM
No matter how much reality training Ryu does he always walks down that dark alley that is Ralek.;)

Ralek
09-30-2002, 06:31 PM
whay is nihongo?

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Rogue, don't let him take me to the "dark side." :(

Ryu

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
whay is nihongo?

Oh come on, no one is this dumb. No one sets themselves up like this.....

You obviously knew what it was when I asked you who taught it to you.

Ryu

Ryu
09-30-2002, 06:36 PM
:rolleyes: Oh, I'll bite....

"Nihongo" is "Japanese language" in Japanese, Ralek....

Ryu

rogue
09-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Sorry all, Ryu's gone.:( Let this be a lesson to all of you who play so close to the dark abyss that is Raleks intellect.

Ralek
09-30-2002, 06:44 PM
a field of grass
all that's left
of a warrior's dream

-- japanese haiku poem by Banto. i think

Ralek
09-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Japan is so the best vidoe games. i want to go there to play the video games in their arcades. They are the elite in video arcades and invented the fighting genre that now dominates the video game world. I actually used their game "street fighter 2 turbo" to prepare for my fight with Shaolin Tiger. I used the character Sagat which is ironic becuase i actually got a scar on my chest from the Shaolin Tiger fight and Ryu's name is Ryu.

Xebsball
09-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Ralek, you're the one on the bottom.

IronFist
09-30-2002, 11:42 PM
Ryu, I thought Mandarin had 4 tones. I know Thai has 5. I heard Cantonese has 8(!) or something.

Someone in the know please clarify.

IronFist

rubthebuddha
10-01-2002, 12:17 AM
xebby, that is a fantastic picture. ralek's enjoying himself so much, he wants to cry.

fa_jing
10-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Mandarin has 4 tones - level, rising, dipping, and falling.

Ryu
10-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Is it 4 tones? I thought it was 5.... No wonder I'm sucking at it! :D

Oh wait, *checking my notes* ;) My friend says there's actually 5 tones, but the fifth isn't really a tone at all. 4 main tones though. Yeah that's right.

:( difficult language.
I don't know about Cantonese, but my training partner speaks it, so I'll ask him.

Ryu

Crimson Phoenix
10-01-2002, 08:58 AM
Linguists are still arguing about cantonese...some count up to nine tones, although you can do just fine with 6, the others being very specific variations when you master the language...

Xebsball
10-01-2002, 03:30 PM
are tones the same as vowels? cos we have 5 i think, then with the thingies it makes 8 diferent sounds.

IronFist
10-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball
are tones the same as vowels? cos we have 5 i think, then with the thingies it makes 8 diferent sounds.

Tones are like, the pitch at which you say the word.

I'm sure someone could give an actual example, but here is my made up one.

Take the sound "ah."

If you say it with rising intonation (going from low to high) it means one thing. If you say it falling, from high to low, it means another thing. If you say it low and don't change the pitch, it means somethine else. If you say it high and don't change the pitch, it means a 4th thing.

English doesn't really do it. I guess the closest example in English would be like if you say "PERfect" it's an adjective, but if you say "perFECT" it's a verb. Like I said, it's not really the same, because this is more emphasis than tone, but it's the closet thing I can think of.

So, it's not the same as vowels.

cos we have 5 i think, then with the thingies it makes 8 diferent sounds.

By "thingies" I think you mean accent marks or accents or whatever they're called. Like à or â or á, right? I don't know which ones Portuguese has.

Hope this helped.

IronFist

Ralek
10-01-2002, 08:09 PM
pi ca ChUUU!!!!

Squirtle.. squirtle...

pikapiKA !!!

Ka me ha me ha!!!!!

Leggo my Eay-wa!!! = Leggo my eggo.

Sionara = bye

each = 1

ni = 2

san = 3

wassup my nigga = Salutations my aquaintance

Yo quierro taco bell = I want taco bell

Yo quirro taco bell = I love taco bell

Ryu
10-02-2002, 12:45 AM
Ralek I'll help you with Japanese.

Repeat after me.....

"Boku wa otaku dayo! Watashi no te wa sugoi desu!"

:) Please put this in your signature.

Ryu

Ralek
10-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Ryu. Thank you for the new signature.

IronFist
10-02-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
Sionara = bye

lol. I guess it might sound like that to some people's ears, though.

IronFist

KnightSabre
10-03-2002, 02:28 AM
I tell you Ralek livens this forum up some what,

It's good to have ya back kid :)