PDA

View Full Version : Le Pacte Des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) Vid store release update

@PLUGO
01-30-2002, 02:56 PM
has anyone seen this Movie yet?

Pretty intense & gory as well...

some excellent fight sequences & cinematography

cho
01-30-2002, 05:15 PM
I thought this was a pretty well all around movie. horror-mystery-action-romance movie.

The fight scene choreography wasn't that great, but the camera work was brilliant.

The only problem I had with the nudity was that it was of ugly french girls....except that one fortune teller.......

JasBourne
01-30-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm gonna try to check it out this weekend. The trailers look good, kind of a "Count of Montecristo" meets "5 Deadly Venoms".

:D

doug maverick
01-31-2002, 12:48 PM
i checked it out a few weeks ago it was worth the ten bucks the flick was crazy and mark decasocos(i think thats how you spell it) was great nuthin like 5 venoms dough it centered around two main characters, and ............you know what i'm not gonna spoil it you gotta go see it.

MonkeyBoy
01-31-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cho
The only problem I had with the nudity was that it was of ugly french girls....except that one fortune teller.......

Monica Bellucci did look sweet in this flick.

But what were we seeing in this flicks fights, was this Savate?

Can anyone in the know tell if the staff work was from the French Grand Baton or was this just stuntwork?

The "Mani" character's moves seemed quite different from his french opponents.

Any thoughts?

@PLUGO
01-31-2002, 01:23 PM
Kwok added, "I actually relied a lot on the sole American actor in the film, Mark Dacascos, to remove the 'kung-fuey' look of the fight movements and give it more of an earthy look."

The Mani Charactor was ment to be a Shaman warrior... Iroquois Mohawk

So his staff work would be ment to depict that!!!

many of his opponents where local warrior types, so the martial art aspects seem to be intend to be more organic rather than a particular style...

Jimbo
02-02-2002, 09:39 AM
The story was very loosely based on a supposedly real incident about a large "beast" that was terrorizing a French town in the 1700s, but of course, the story and main characters are fictional. You can read about the "Beast of Gaudaan (don't think I spelled that wrong)" in almost any non-fiction book dealing with werewolves.

I don't think they necessarily were portraying accurate martial arts styles for the times and the place. The fights were pretty well-done. Personally, I thought the main French guy's fights were far better than Dacoscos's fights...more brutal and believable, less artsy. I think Savate didn't come about until almost a century after the movie takes place (1764). That's why it's strange to see 18th century French aristocrats and trappers throwing high roundhouse and jump spinning tornado kicks, much less Mani, the Indian character. And for the main villain at the end, it looks like the filmmakers might have been inspired by Donnie Yen as the villain in Once Upon a Time in China II, with the semi-flexible weapon.

I'll bet that in the 1700s none of the women would have looked like the "sexy celebrities" that are popular today, so in that sense the movie was probably accurate enough.

The one thing that bothers me is that they never revealed what the beast really was, only where it was from. Maybe it's supposed to be an extinct species? Anyway it was a good movie.

Jim

@PLUGO
02-05-2002, 03:32 PM
on the Beast:

I figure it was a Lion...

The guy's coverstory was that a Lion bit his arm off & kept refering himself as "half a lion"...

later it's revealed that he had brought such a beast from Africa & it had a litter... the strongest of them was cruelly raise to be this beast & all that amor & stuff was added to it as it grew...

at 500 pounds & the way it moved around and "roared" what else could it have been...

it's final scene showed it's eye (very cat like) & it's jaw... with gold fur...

I guess it could've been a tiger, but that woudn't be from africa would it...

My bet is it was a Lion, the size & shape & sound seemed to match...

Kristoffer
02-07-2002, 03:39 AM
It was ok.. as best. I saw it a long time ago..
well, the fights was sucky, nothing impressive at all!! Think his ma skills are highly over.rated. The story was better.. The monster looked cool in the beginning but when u saw the w´hole of it all the time it just looked like ****. And the explanation for the monster was even worse.. "uhh, yeah he found a monster in africa, brought ity home, killed all its kids except one and then raised it to a killer" :rolleyes: *sigh* that was really horrible man!!! My gf's senile old grandma could come up with a better plot than that..

The only cool thing about the movie was when the fought it with traps and stuff,, when he throws his axe at it! awsome..

Overall its an ok movie that is WAY to long.. Some cool quircs and some nice shots. Nothing more.. This is a movie that u should only see once, othervise your bain will rott.

Kristoffer
02-07-2002, 03:40 AM
Oh and no god **** lions are that big!! jeeezus"!
:mad:

@PLUGO
02-07-2002, 01:45 PM
you've gotta admit that Pumkin Scene was great!!! :p

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 05:03 PM
yeah :)

BigCountry
02-20-2002, 11:49 AM
"And for the main villain at the end, it looks like the filmmakers might have been inspired by Donnie Yen as the villain in Once Upon a Time in China II, with the semi-flexible weapon. "

I believe this character began the style that was eventually adopted and mastered by "Ivy" of Soul Caliber. Great high/low combination attacks.

respectmankind
03-13-2002, 12:54 AM
finaly got it in alaska. that movie was the shiz'nic brother.

respectmankind
03-13-2002, 01:10 AM
oh, and by the way, i have a great friend, who i feel is a great match for a relationship, only problem is i get all nervous when around her now, cause i feel i should tell her, it is her right to know, then i start acting 'gay' and ****. i normaly act all funny and crazy, but man, i start the booing comic routine when i am around her now. i don't wanna have to tell her but i need to cause it is killing our time together.

The Willow Sword
10-01-2002, 09:39 AM
If you have not seen this movie on the screen then,,welll,,i feel sorry for you that missed it ,,,I saw it twice and i have to say that this is one of the best action suspense drama films that i have seen in a long time.

It is a French film and is subtitled in English,,but that doesnt take away from its amazing cinematography and action.

The actor you will know in the film is mark dacascos(the crow series on the WB) he plays an Iroqious indian travelling with a french mercenary. they travel to a small town in france where the locals are being devoured by a creature only decsribed by some as a Wolf,,but with other features that chill the spine when talked about.

This movie is a MUST rent or Buy for the collectors out there.

any other comments about this movie are greatly appreiciated here.
to those who have seen it,,,what did you think of it?

MRTWS

Waidan
10-01-2002, 08:14 PM
I liked it quite a bit. It's not something I NEED to own immediately, but I look forward to seeing it on DVD down the line.

The scenery is dark yet beautiful, and complements the story well. The writing is good, and they certainly don't pull any punches in the Gore and Nudity departments.

I didn't care much for most of the fighting. Waaay too many jumpkicks as I recall. The tomahawk is win, but that didn't make an appearance 'till pretty far into the film. Oh, and the crazy gal sort of annoyed me. But then I've never been one for psychotic, screaming women. ;)

illusionfist
10-06-2002, 07:40 PM
People need to understand that the martial arts in this movie was made to look simplistic because this movie came out around the time that the Musketeer did and Christopher Gans didn't want to make a movie that looked like that. No matter how good the action looked, it was just out of its element cuz the whole Wu Xia thing does not fit with European period pieces. So this was one of the main obstacles that Peter Kwok (coordinator on BOTW) had to overcome.

In the original version of the film, the fight sequence against the brigands in the rain was much longer, showing more of the technical facility of the actors, especially Fronsac. It was later taken out because the scene was way too long ( almost longer than the last fight in the movie), and it conflicted with Fronsac's philosopher nature throughout the rest of the film.

I agree that this movie is a good buy. One should at least rent it and give it a gander, if nothing else.

@PLUGO
10-08-2002, 11:44 AM
I heard that the extended version of that fight in the Rain is an extra feature on the DVD...

@PLUGO
10-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Yeah... it's a Genrie extravaganza!!!

I figured the BEAST was a Lion raised with a bunch of victorian Cyborg tech added on as it grew... Part of the Cruelty... Though back in those days a simple Lion would have been mutant enough.

It did move in an od fashion for sure... but still some pretty scary stuff...

Loved the deleted scenes... the extended Fight that had the other dude picking up the fight Many jumps into in the rain... would have established some fighting ability for that charactor.

There where some great scenes with the Pope's spy which I think should have been included... hell they could make a movie just about her & her bad @ss Steel Fan (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?martialartsmart+T8JppP+45-07b.html) :D

Yeah that whole Hunt was insane & I really liked the Marqi charactor who narrated...

I understand that a "special edition Extended version" will be released as well...

David Jamieson
11-03-2002, 07:00 AM
...and I liked it!

the ending was a bit forced (perhaps editing gone awry?)

but the overall film was pretty good as stories go.

mark Dacascos role was pretty cool although I'm pretty certain Iroquois do not have or did not have striking arts in that time period.

still, it's just a movie...would of liked to have known what the armoured african beast was.

peace

David Jamieson
11-05-2002, 06:17 PM
yes, and the popes spy bein all nekid didn't hurt either ! :D

oops, was that sexist? or just an observation?

anyway...think it could have been a warthog? pretty big and long though for both lions or warthogs.

maybe some mystery creature killed off before humboldt got to see it.

peace