PDA

View Full Version : reality training in Dallas, Tx?

jointlock
10-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Looking for a reality training school/dojo in the Dallas (TX) area. I want to be able to drill in striking, grappling, jointlocks/immobilizations, throws, and takedowns. Some groundfighting training is fine, but I don't want it to be the main focus. I want to get into the security industry, so the joint immobilizations and takedowns will be the most useful for what I will be doing.
I appreciate any recommendations.

bustr
10-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Look here:

www.hockscqc.com

jointlock
10-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks interesting, I have been thinking of ordering some tapes etc, but right now I am looking for firsthand training. I'm hoping someone will recommend someone. It could cut down on the amount of time I spend shopping around.

Kungfu boy
10-17-2002, 09:40 PM
You sound like a real well rounded martial artist- though I haven't heard of too many 'complete' martial arts school but here's a the tid bit I know- You've got probubly the best grappling school in TX in Dallas- Carlos Machado's Brazilian Jui-Jitsu. And then there's a handfull of Peketee Tursha guys, but be careful, there known for there lack of sanity. Good luck

Badger
10-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Are you looking for a training partner?

Send me a PM & we will talk.

Badger

ewallace
10-18-2002, 07:04 AM
And then there's a handfull of Peketee Tursha guys, but be careful, there known for there lack of sanity
It's Pekiti-Tirsia...and I resent that remark!

Mataas na Guro Timothy Waid teaches up in Dallas. I have not met him yet but have heard excellent things about his figthing abilities. Here is the link to his site:

http://www.bladefighting.com/index.htm

Here is a link to my school which has more info about Pekiti-Tirsia Kali:

http://www.ptk-pitbulls.com/Pekiti-Tirsia-Kali.htm

Kungfu boy
10-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Sorry to tick ya off dude. I was refering to the chicken blood thing. You know where they cover their hands in blood to make it more realistic. Not to say they are like insane to the point of "okay class, now we're all gonna gut some homeless guy". They're just a little extreme in my mind. I can see where it could be handy in a way but personally I don't find it too necessary. I do train in stick and knife personally and it is fun but the idea of covering my hands with chicken blood is not my bag. My mom already thinks its weird for me to pay someone to "beat me up" if I start walking into the house with blood on my hands I know what they'd say.

Mom: Alright young man, get out of my house
Me: Mom its just chicken blood
Mom: oh your sick, I don't want you hanging around with no more goth people ya hear?
Me: But ma.......

Disclaimer: No my school does not endorse killing homeless people persay but we are encouraged to "clean up" our neighborhoods.

And if any of you are wondering, yes the disclaimer is a joke.

ewallace
10-20-2002, 07:44 PM
Nah bro you didn't tick me off. I was just horsin around. I have not heard of any chicken blood incidents. Fill me in would ya?

jointlock
11-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Kungfu boy
though I haven't heard of too many 'complete' martial arts school but here's a the tid bit I know- You've got probubly the best grappling school in TX in Dallas- Carlos Machado's Brazilian Jui-Jitsu.
We have Carlos Machado here and some other big name Muay Thai guy. I looked at Muay Thai and I don't think they are very precise. Probably because they are used to wearing those boxing gloves and that's how they train, so in their stance they leave a huge space between their hands, leaving their face open to a jab in the jaw. Muay Thai is sport orinented and would not make a good style for someone to learn for self defense IMO. I do think it could be a good supplement to someone who already is established and knows how to fight, if his primary style's training leaves something to be desired in the way of toughness training, and he has the extra time and energy, he could do Muay Thai as a supplement to his primary style.
As for Carlos Machado, I think it's great that he's right here in Dallas. I might go check it out. I might as well take his class since he's here in Dallas.
There is also a guy in Dallas/Plano by the name of Sigung Earl Portnoy and he owns the Marital Arts Center of Plano where he teaches "Soo Hwa Kung Fu" among other things. He says it's a well rounded style that includes everything. Mr. Portnoy started off with one martial art, then he learned another, and another, etc. For example he learned Brazilian Ju Jitsu so he would know how to defend himself from the ground, and another style for striking, another style for locking and throwing, etc. so he could be a well rounded fighter. Then after many years he discovered Soo Hwa Kung Fu and he said it includes basicly everything he learned in all those other styles. It sounds like a well rounded system. I might go check it out as well.