PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu styles - start as empty handed vs. start as weapon-based

fa_jing
10-02-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on styles that begin as weapon-based, and styles that begin as empty-hand. For instance, Hsing-Yi was based on spearfighting, and praying mantis clearly began as an open-handed style. One translates very closely to weapons-fighting, and the other? Are there praying mantis weapons? I would think that these are the weapons of Northern Shaolin. What is the difference between empty-handed styles that translate in form and function to weapons applications, like Wing Chun where the double broadsword movements are simply extensions of the empty-hand movements, versus a style that has no weapons of its own? Vs. weapons styles that have no empty hand counterpart? Was it a simple matter of convenience to the author(s) of the style?

SevenStar
10-02-2002, 10:51 AM
my guess was it was more of a matter of need. take FMA for instance. it was made during a time where there was always fighting and everyone always had a weapon. you HAD to know how to use sticks and knives to survive. there was the possibility that you could be disarmed, or that you may be caught without a weapon, so there was of course need for the empty hand side also, however weapons use took precedence. Maybe the founders of styles like hsing-i were in environments along the same lines.