PDA

View Full Version : umbrella as a weapon?

olkat314
06-09-2000, 03:24 AM
Dear All:

Where could I get instruction on this? Does anybody produce tapes that instruct this form?

Is it an advanced form?

Thanks

Tak

Je Lei Sifu
06-09-2000, 04:03 AM
Hey Tak

Under my sifu, I have learned the umbrella form.

At this point, I have not heard of anyone making a video of the umbrella form. However my Sigung, has written a book on this subject. The book is called Hung Ga Pugilism Self Defence supplement w/Umbrella of Dragon And Tiger.

You should be able to purchase this book in any chinatown and maybe in some martial arts supply stores.

This set is not at all an advanced set, but it is a very interesting form.

I hope that I have answered your question

Thanx.

Je Lei

hasayfu
06-12-2000, 12:00 AM
Hi Jei Lei,

Is this book written in chinese or English? By Si-gung, I assume you mean Ho Lap Tin.

Please confirm. Thanks,

Stephen.

Kymus
06-12-2000, 03:02 AM
I am greatly interestd in learning the umbrella. Are there any other styles that teach this besides maybe something indonesian? I also am interested in the fan. I got one book by Master Lee Koon Hung on the CLF Dragon Fan.

Kymus

------------------
"Crosstraining is the key"
~Sifu Rick Tucci~

Je Lei Sifu
06-14-2000, 06:45 AM
Hey Hasayfu:

Sorry for the late reply, I have not been able to get online.

But to answer your question, my sigung (Ho Lap Tin) book on umbrella, is written in english.

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

MaFuYee
06-15-2000, 12:20 AM

[This message has been edited by MaFuYee (edited 06-23-2000).]

Je Lei Sifu
06-22-2000, 02:57 AM
MaFuYee

No your thoughts of my sigung doesn't offend me at all.

However, I would like to let you know that my sigung was a very well known hung gar master in Hong Kong. So your statement doesn't offend, but it shows lack of knowledge on your part.

I hope that you get to became the age in which my sigung was during the making of his book. Then those of us who are still around might be able to see how well you perform at that age.

I would like to ask you, what is your martail arts background and your lineage? Also what age are you and what knowledge and authority do you have within the Mo Lum?

Je Lei Sifu

Iron Wrist
10-07-2002, 11:55 AM
:confused: Just looking for any knowledge on the umbrella as a weapon.

Leto
10-07-2002, 12:17 PM
An umbrella (the kind with a cane handle) could be used pretty much the same way a 'damo' cane is used.

SaMantis
10-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Umbrella. Long stick with a handle and a pointy thing. Yep, could definately be a weapon. The best form to model its use after would be that of a short melee weapon, like a cane form.

I don't know of any documented use of it as a weapon, but I carry one in my hand to & from work and I would definitely use it if needed.

crumpet
10-07-2002, 12:21 PM
haven't u watched scream with neve campbell? she killed her psychotic bf with an umbrella! the long pointy ones though, not the compact brellas... :D lol. i think it was scream...

Former castleva
10-07-2002, 12:23 PM
As an "improvised weapon" I think you should be looking at it with attention paid to itīs shape.
Basically youīd use for thrusting/striking motion I think,some throwing could be done too.
I donīt think it is used much in martial arts or self-defense but itīs taught in some jujutsu style(s) I believe.
If you do have an acces to Mas Oyamaīs book "Essentials of Karate" or something like that,it has some applications if I remember correctly.

crumpet
10-07-2002, 12:23 PM
hey it could be used as a shield if u open it.

Former castleva
10-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Lotīs of replies in a short time,huh...
Well to stir the pot a little more,I donīt remember such application from Scream flicks but just watch "Batman returns",Danny Devito is pretty good with that. ;)

Anything that can be used as an equalizer...

SaMantis
10-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Didn't Jet Li carry one around as Wong Fei Hung in "Once Upon A Time in China"? I seem to remember him taking out a few bad guys with a cane or an umbrella.

neptunesfall
10-07-2002, 12:46 PM
the wong fei hung as child used one in 'iron monkey' too.

Lisa
10-07-2002, 12:55 PM
"hey it could be used as a shield if u open it."

In one of the Once Upon a Time in China movies Jet Li opens it up to shield himself from hot water that was thrown at him. I think the kid does it in Iron Monkey as well.

cho
10-07-2002, 01:16 PM
In Wong Fei Hung 2, Jet Li used an umbrella to knock down about 50 guys. Then the umbrella broke.

Just find an umbrella with a sword hidden in the handle.

rubthebuddha
10-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by cho
Just find an umbrella with a sword hidden in the handle.

just be wary of arguments saying "my umbrella was made 320 years ago by a great master who folded its spindly frame 400 times before quenching it."

Leto
10-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Wong Fei Hung's 'signature weapon' in many movies is his umbrella. Jet Li kicked butt with it in the OUATIC movies. :)

It's size and shape would make it equivalent roughly to a 'damo' cane, or a short stick in some cases.

Sho
10-07-2002, 02:09 PM
The cane forms would probably suit best.

But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian. :)

Budokan
10-07-2002, 04:06 PM
The Penguin uses an umbrella as a weapon and seems to have good luck with it.

Drake
10-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Ryoga Hibiki from the Ranma 1/2 Anything Goes Martial Arts anime series. He uses an umbrella as a weapon. Then again... he also turns into a pig when splashed with cold water. :)

Drake~

swmngdragn
10-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Someone has stolen my name!!!!!!! Give it back!!!!!!!! :D

Drake

Drake
10-07-2002, 05:33 PM
And then I shall have no name... I will forever be called... the nameless...

Wow... that was prolific...

Drake~

rogue
10-07-2002, 06:10 PM
I carry a small one attached to my brief case, and at least one in each car. Since the small ones don't have the pointy bit at the end you have to turn them around and use the handle for short snapping strikes against boney parts. Open and thrust toward your attacker it's good as an opaque barrier that may buy you a second or two to counter or run. With the bigger ones you can do locks, traps and of course spearing moves.

The best part is you can still carry on on a plane.

Hau Tien
10-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Sho
The cane forms would probably suit best.

But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian. :)

While some moves might be appropriate for the umbrella, others would obviously have been designed to cut or slash (especially the dao). I don't think an umbrella would work well in that sort of scenerio.

However, a cane form is certainly the most appropriate. I can hardly wait to learn the one in our style:)

rogue
10-07-2002, 06:36 PM
"But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian."

Because it's an umbrella not a sword. One has a sharp point and sometimes a cutting edge, the other is cheap metal wrapped in cloth with a blunt jabbing edge. They share very few properties between them. It's still best to approach the strengths and weakness' of the brelly in it's own right.;)

FatherDog
10-07-2002, 07:25 PM
Umbrella --> Used as weapon by Penguin.

Penguin --> Burgess Meredith

Burgess Meredith --> trained Rocky Balboa

Conclusion: Secret combat umbrella forms are only known by high level Western Boxing masters.

rubthebuddha
10-07-2002, 10:10 PM
is that why i saw dan duva practicing with a kitchen mop in his back yard?

Helicopter
10-08-2002, 03:30 AM
If I remember rightly there is a traditional umbrella form known by our school, but I've not seen it.

Former castleva
10-08-2002, 07:02 AM
More notes on penguin/umbrella,fun.

A possible downside of umbrella would be itīs coarse shape&size and thatīs it a bit dull to carry around usually for other purposes than blocking rain,not something that you tend have on your hands to improvise with.

Stranger
10-08-2002, 07:17 AM
The KGB made an umbrella/hypodermic needle. Basically you walk up to the intended target, "accidently" poke the peson with your umbrella, apologize, and walk away. When poking, a small hollow metal sphere the size of a pinhead is injected into the person. The hollow sphere is filled with one of the world's more toxic poisons (the name escapes me at the moment) and it is virtually impossible to detect. The metal sphere has small holes in it sealed with wax. As the sphere warms up inside the 98.6 degree body the wax melts and the poison is released into the body. The intended target will die.

It is "real world tested" and proven to be effective. :eek:

GeneChing
10-08-2002, 09:09 AM
Most umbrellas are really too flimsy for combat. You could poke someone's eye out if you had some fencing skills perhaps, but most umbrellas you can break with your hands fairly easily, so you couldn't really block with them that well. Nor could you strike with them without breaking them. You used to see some umbrella sword floating around in the survivalist market. Haven't seen one in a while, probably because it is a concealed weapon, therefore a federal offence. Cane swords are the same; we have to blunt the tips in order to sell them -
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/dragheadcans.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/imscanswor45.html

I once saw a fighting umbrella available in some survivalist mag - it was made of reinforced steel and had a spring that opened with enough velocity to knock over a grown man (something like 200-300 lbs of force) - it also had a kevlar cloth part that could deflect low caliber bullets at long range. They were marketing it like some kind of spy umbrella and it had an asking price of several $100.

IronFist
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
This (http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0400.htm) is so sweet and 1920s. With pics!

jigahus
09-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Sweet. Good literature.

Mr Punch
09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Fantastic!

But they didn't look like live resisting opponents... have you got a video for that?

Oso
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/avengers.gif

jigahus
09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/avengers.gif

LOL too funny

IronFist
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Fantastic!

But they didn't look like live resisting opponents... have you got a video for that?

These techniques are too deadly to practice on resisting opponents. :D

Helena Handbask
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
This (http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0400.htm) is so sweet and 1920s. With pics!

Looks like fencing, with a little savate.

Stranger
09-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Last month's BLACKBELT magazine had an artical on La Canne written by Salem Assli.

Savate is very cool.

GeneChing
08-24-2016, 08:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Vq3XeolC4

GeneChing
08-24-2016, 08:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpZwP-pKd8