PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Austin Texas? Looking for school

nicolas_pujol
10-07-2002, 02:39 PM
I posted a message earlier on which martial art to choose... another question is, are there people from Austin Texas here, who could recommend me good a good school to go to?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

CD Lee
10-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Nick,

There are plenty of guys here that are from Austin TX, I however am not one of them. I saw your other post, and I will give you the best advice I can imagine on martial arts.

1. Find a good teacher. I cannot stress this enough. It is more important that any style you choose. There are only so many good ones around, so you have to look hard. Pay them gladly, and realize how lucky you are to have a good teacher.

2. Listen to the Austin guys here and carefully consider what they tell you about first hand infomation on teachers. This is invaluable and can save you so many years.

3. Take your time, and check out what you are told. Now, if your skill is pretty low level, everthing may look really awesome. That is why you really need to do #2. And wait for some good replies. And you are already doing #2 with this thread, that is great.

If you do not get some good responses here, go to the internal forum. There are some good guys over there...and here too.

I think you'll find most guys are pretty down on TKD as a reality martial art on this board. You said you like the kicks, but you will find, kicks are one of the most risky ways to defend yourself on the street. TKD also has a lot of commercial teachers that are not quality. Hard to sift through all the stuff out there.

Budokan
10-07-2002, 04:02 PM
JWT used to post here and could've probably helped you, but he got called up and we haven't heard from him since. Been wondering how his weiner dog was doing, too..... :)

Vyvial
11-05-2002, 05:46 PM
There are plenty of good schools in Austin. It all depends on what you want. There is a great 7 Star Mantis school if you want to learn lots of forms, there is a Wing Tsun school if you want to learn a soft style wing chun, there is a EBMAS school for grappling wing chun, plenty of Japanese and TKD schools, there is Shaolindo (commercial karate-type school using kung fu forms), a few groundfighting schools, and of course I must mention that there is a new Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu school for traditional close combat Ving Tsun, since that is my school. What do you want out of it? Fun, defense, health? I know most of the instructors so give me a call if you want advice 512.736.4753.

SevenStar
11-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Talk to GGL

Water Dragon
11-05-2002, 07:05 PM
John Wang ,Dave Pickens, or one of their reps.