PDA

View Full Version : What in the world happened to my jow?

NorthernMantis
10-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey before any moderator moves it can you please let a few amount of people view it before moving the thread to another forum? Thanks

Well like I was gonna say I had hurt my kneee a while back running in the rain (don't ask) and I put some jow that my friend got from his sifu. It was in this plastic container. I used it once but today when I went to use it I noticed something had mutated inside it!! Like the crocodile hunter would say crikey!! That thing looked like a fuzzy tape worm that was as long as my index finger and just a broad with it's head fallen off. It totally freaked me out!:eek: :eek: It looked like it came out from one of those cheesy horror films. Threw it away in the dumpster. My friend has whole batch at his house but I'm not getting near the stuff.

Would anyone know what happened?

yenhoi
10-07-2002, 04:28 PM
sounds like you didnt put the cap on tight enough.

Royal Dragon
10-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Don't worrie about it, that happens to me all the time with formulas I boil in the sove. Sometimes I forget about it for a few days and it gets a bit fuzzy, but if I rebiol it the fuzz melts.

I did this once by accident because I was sick, and later I drank the herbs anyway, and was "All better" in 3 hours!!!!!!:D

That fuzzy stuff is GOOD for you!!

NorthernMantis
10-07-2002, 08:08 PM
What? I don't know man, it looked like attack of the killer hairy tapeworm to me. I'm still mentally disturbed over it. Is jow supposed to act like that?

David Jamieson
10-07-2002, 08:13 PM
bad plastic. next time, transfer the jow to a glass bottle or a better grade plastic that won't leech into the dit da jow.

peace

old jong
10-07-2002, 08:41 PM
In the beginning of planet earth maybe 5 billions years ago ,the same thing happened in a small toxic pond and...Life began!....Is it the beginning of a new specie or the end of our cycle on this planet?...The answer may be in your little plastic bottle!...:eek: :eek:

SevenStar
10-07-2002, 09:49 PM
man, you've got me scared to go look at my jow...luckily it's all in glass bottles.

templefist
10-07-2002, 10:59 PM
I have two gallons that I made from a recipe my sifu gave me. One of them is in a glass bottle with a cap, and the other is in a glass bottle with a cork. My question is, does that cork allow air in at all? Is it bad to have a cork lid? Will the jow eat the cork? I hope it doesnt ruin the jow, because its a really good formula.

-templefist

NorthernMantis
10-08-2002, 08:59 AM
It's a good idea to look. I've never seen somthing like that before.:eek: :confused:

SaMantis
10-08-2002, 10:26 AM
i don't make jow, but i have made beer, and I've seen that fuzzy wormlike thing appear in unsterilized bottles after a few weeks. (and no, not only after drinking 4 or 5 beers beforehand!)

A cork should be OK as long as it was clean when you put it on. Some wine brewers won't use them because they can't be 100% sterilized but if you're not drinking the jow it shouldnt be a problem. If it has any gouges in it or doesn't seal the bottle all the way around that would cause a problem.

The jow won't eat the cork.

If you still have your doubts about it, switch out the cork with a sterilized bottle cap -- sterilize the cap by boiling it in water for 5-10 minutes and then make the switch quickly.

SaMantis
10-08-2002, 10:28 AM
p.s. - what's up, northern mantis? are you going to the november tournament?

NorthernMantis
10-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Of course I'm coming but due to my injured knee I'm not gonna compete and volunteered to help. I will be doing an exhibition with my sifu after the tournament though.:)

SaMantis
10-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Cool -- I wish I could come down, but I just paid for the WL cruise and can't afford to take time off and fly to Orlando twice. :(

Glad you'll get to see everybody though!

GeneChing
10-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Keep in mind, jow can go bad. It's herbal and herbs can go sour on you. You'll get a nasty rash if it's bad. No telling what might happen if you drink it. :p

templefist
10-08-2002, 07:59 PM
How long before jow goes bad? I know after you cook a batch up you should shake it everyday and not use it for about a year and that the longer you keep it sealed up the more potent it is, but is there a point that it goes bad?

templefist

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2002, 08:13 PM
JOW GONE BAD!

See real Jow at Mardi Gras in New Orleans!

You won't BELIEVE what this Jow will do for the camera!

Real coed Jow showing it ALL!

Now on DVD and VHS for just $19.99. Must be 18 or older to order.

Wow, that was a really strong vodka tonic!

NorthernMantis
10-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Hey I thought jow isn't supposed to be drunk or you have to get your somach pumped?

templefist
10-08-2002, 10:37 PM
If you were to drink jow, you would either get extremely sick or worse..... I know its a poison and a blood thinner, at least in part of the alcohol in it, but I dont know what the other effects are of it. Its not good to get it into cuts or open wounds either. Key words are : FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.

-Templefist

GeneChing
10-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Dit Da Jow is made up of many different folk recipes so it's hard to talk about in generalities since frankly, it's different stuff.

So when does jow go bad? Probably faster in New Orleans, since so much goes bad there quickly. Must be the swamp heat. Let's compare it to one of my favorite other jow, be jow as they say in Cantonese - beer. When does beer go bad? Well some beers, like one of my all time favorites Orval, actually get better with age. It has to be decanted and comes in a corked bottle. MGD lite, well, it already is bad. Actually storage has a lot to do with it. If you store your case of beer in the sun, that's bad. Coll dark place, good. If it's in a can, that allows for more air to be in the can, so it oxidizes faster. That's why cans go bad faster than bottles.

As for drinking it, some Jow can be drunk, but for legal reasons, every label must bear "for external use only." If not, it has to be approved by the FDA which is a long and expensive process. My Bak Sil Lum Master Wing Lam made a lot of jow as you probably know. We used to brew it by the gallons in a giant office coffee maker. That was for general sale. Who knows how other brew jow? Sifu Lam told his students to drink the jow under special situations, like after severe injuries, but this was never never advised for the general public. I remember one of my juniors, who still works there in fact so I won't mention him by name, actually developed a taste for the stuff. We used to joke about him nipping into the jow in the back. :p

guohuen
10-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Sounds like the lid wasn't sealed properly and mold spores infected the batch. There are good mold spores but I wouldn't take that chance unless I were an expert. I'd say toss it. You wouldn't want bad mold in a wound. Seen that before. It's harse.

SaMantis
10-09-2002, 12:05 PM
LOL Chang Style Novice, there's nothing like Jow Gone Bad!
(Where do I order that videotape, then?)

I have drunk jow before, by accident. Note to party hosts: don't put your bottle of jow next to the liquor bottles. Fortunately I didn't suffer any worse than the usual hangover.

GeneChing
10-11-2002, 09:42 AM
I've seen stuff like you describe in some jow that's sort of like those strands you get in vinegar - do they call it mother of vinegar? Does that suggest that some jow is alive like yogurt?

And while we are on the topic, perahps all of you can help me with a little research - how much would/do you pay for jow?

rubthebuddha
10-11-2002, 09:46 AM
got it at a shop up in vancouver's chinatown for about $4 USD -- a good-size bottle, about as big as a typical one of worcestershire sauce.

hm. maybe they just switched the labels and instead of balming myself, i'm basting myself? :confused:

SaMantis
10-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Gene,

Wah Lum jow sells at $10 for a small bottle (2-3 oz., I think -- just guesstimating), $20 for large. I've paid between $7-12 for commercial products around the same size.

Then there's the stuff friends give me for free -- some of it seems to work OK, some of it just stinks. Literally.

David Jamieson
10-12-2002, 08:31 AM
I make my own now, but I still purchase it as well. (sorry, I won't share the recipe, get your own :D )

If it has good efficacy, I think that 10$ per pint is a pretty good deal.

A little dab will do ya with many of the strong varieties.

Tieh Ta yao gin is the kind I drink when bruised inside. Only 15ml at a time though. You can buy this type of Jow...if you look hard enough. :)

peace

BSH
10-16-2002, 10:23 AM
There are Internal and External Dit Da formula. The Internal is meant to be drunk.

For now, the FDA is not required to grant its approval for internal Jow because it is herbal based. It won't be long before the AMA and pharmaceutical companies get rid of all herbal based competion in the US. Get it while you can.

Personally, I have taken numerous internal Jows and do so daily. I also use external Jows daily. My knees no longer bother me and my joints don't crack like they use to. That's just from the external.

Skarbromantis
10-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Hay Kung Lek, I use the Buddhist Masters Recipe, that you have on your site, what do you think of this jow?

I pay about $12 Can per bottle.

Skard

P.s Yes I am still with P.Chow.

BeiTangLang
10-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I sell mine for $10 per 2 oz. bottle. Its a high price, but so are the ingredients. I also put them in either dark blue or brown glass bottles with re-sealable lids.I tell people to keep it in dark places as light slowly destroys the properties if it. Kinda odd,..some people love the way it smells, others hate the smell. Another thing I stress is they do not ingest it, or apply it to open wounds.
As far as potentcey it ages _very_ well. Nothing will grow in it either ( I have tested it using various "feeder" molds in a clear open jar). If I ever saw anything floating in jow I bought, I would toss it.

GeneChing
10-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the quotes. We might be carrying our own line of therapeutics soon. We've been discussing it with this big Chinese pharmacuetical company. They have some interesting products. I'll keep you posted.

BSH: The FDA doesn't have to approve herbs in the same way as other things, that's true. A lot of OTC herbs are based on classic recipes and that is somewhat defensible should anything go wrong. Anything taken internally is extremely dangerous due to potential anaphylaxis (sp?) so most people just avoid it entirely. Such a lawsuit would be a sure loss.

David Jamieson
10-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Skarbro-

The buddhist masters recipe is pretty good for sore muscles and light bruising from exercises like 2 man - 3 star blocks.

It's not my choice for Iron Palm training though, not strong enough and the plum wine base is kind of slippery and doesn't penetrate as deeply as a grain alcohol vehicle will take the herbs deeper in.

regarding beitanglang's comment on expensive ingredients, I'll second that on the Myrrh and Dragonsblood. Hard to find items like Horse Coin can cost too dependig where you go. Some kinds have dried beetles also. These are not always easy to find and must be collected instead.

Much of the rest is not too pricy, well, except for the grain alcohol which is not for sale in canada and you gotta find a mennonite with a still :D

peace

Qi dup
10-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Chang Style, You are one funny *******! The 'Jow Gone Bad' has been the best part of my day.

Gene, How much would I pay? Right now I would pay atleast ten bucks for some good jow. My left fist has been bothering me for a while. I can barely hit the bag at all with out the **** thing swelling up and hurting :mad: