PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read any of John F. Gilbey's books?

fgxpanzerz
10-28-2001, 10:18 PM
They describe different fighting arts of the world. They're really very interesting. I wanna know if anyone finds his stories believeable. later

redfist
10-29-2001, 01:36 AM
john gilbey is the alter-ego of robert w.smith,his
books are some of the best availiable on martial
arts.

fgxpanzerz
10-29-2001, 05:01 AM
I dont believe that.

Dale Dugas
10-29-2001, 01:52 PM
It is true and you should read Martial Musings by Robert Smith. He goes into the hows and whys of Gilbeys creation. He is a great writer and a great man.

Peace,

Dale Dugas

Jimbo
10-30-2001, 12:16 AM
Yes, Gilbey is a character created by Robert W. Smith, which he now admits.
Actually, I knew it for years. R.W. Smith has a very unique writing style and John F. Gilbey's writing is exactly the same style. Also, some of the pictures in his first book are drawings taken from photos Smith has in other books.

If you're a fan of Smith or his alter ego John F. Gilbey, you must read Martial Musings, Smith's newest book.
Jim

fgxpanzerz
10-30-2001, 02:14 AM
In Gilbey's third book, it talks all about how people accused him of not really existing. And he wrote that all anyone had to do was look up the history of the textile industry and the name John F. Gilbey would show up. Though, that name could probably fit anyone. Gilbey also said that R.W Smith criticized him. Bah! Is the book "Martial Musings" still being sold?

redfist
10-30-2001, 03:23 AM
that my friend is the beauty of it,martial musings
is smiths last book written and easily availiable.
smith is a great writer and from people that i know have trained with him say his kung fu is high level.read anything that you can get your hands on ,you won`t regret it.

fgxpanzerz
10-31-2001, 08:54 AM
In Gilbey's first book, he describes a method to build up chi. Do u think this method works at all? Is it missing an ingredients?

Steven T. Richards
10-31-2001, 02:23 PM
In a TV programme broadcast in the UK on ITV, R.W.Smith not only admits to being Gilbey but suggests that its peoples credibility to believe in any old crap about martial arts such as bad breath attacks and delayed death touches that made him write it. As an 'alter ego' such writings would balance some of his other stuff which have some frankly esoteric claims in them.
Smith and Draegger were probably the first in a new discipline of martial arts anthropologists - people who study martial arts in the 'field' and, cross culturally, bringing psychological insights to bear onto 'traditional' beliefs. others have taken the academic side further - but - there are still an awful lot of pulp beliefs in TCMA that prove resistant to common sense, logic and practical real world pressure testing: as such fertile ground for anthropological study.

fgxpanzerz
10-31-2001, 08:47 PM
Does this mean that everything from John F. Gilbey's first book is bull****? I need a solid answer, if one indeed exists.

Steven T. Richards
10-31-2001, 10:05 PM
Given what Bob Smith has said, and you'd better hear/see it for yourself.... What he says clearly implies that most of it at least is. It's a good mirror for Westerners (and a lot of Chinese too) to see their wishes, fantasies and gulibity within.

fgxpanzerz
11-01-2001, 01:19 AM
In his first book, there is a chapter devoted to a "simple" method of developing chi. It involves placing yor left hand over yor right ear for 5 minutes and then the right hand over yor left ear for another 5 minutes. Then it says to have both hands on the ears for 5 more minutes totalling 15 minutes, all together.

Does this method really work?

redfist
11-01-2001, 02:03 AM
i do not think so,i have not tried it,it has been years since read i that book,10,maybe.to be truthful with you it sounds ridiculous.when i read that book i knew smith had written it and what his purpose was.as far as training goes i recommend any of his other books.there is a book written by liang shou-yu titled "qi empowerment"
of which he goes into detail on the information you seek.