PDA

View Full Version : traditional kung fu stength excercises.

Ryu
10-08-2002, 06:03 PM
I'm curious on the subject. Anyone have any links, descriptions, etc?

Ryu

Ralek
10-08-2002, 06:12 PM
www.bjj.org/images/royce-delucia.jpg

I think this pic is very related to the topic of discussion. Notice the finely tuned physique of the red sash kung fu representative. The product of years of dedicated kung fu strength training exercises.

Ryu
10-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Anyone else?

Ryu

old jong
10-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Look at the fine physique of this dedicated internet troll after years of having no life and training with video games. (http://www.ronscrystals.com/images/ircop.jpg)

Ryu
10-08-2002, 06:25 PM
stop putting my pictures on the net, Jong....

David Jamieson
10-08-2002, 06:31 PM
rings are traditional strength training

http://www.davidjamieson.com/kunglek/pic-002.htm

peace

old jong
10-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Oups!....Sorry Ryu!
Some good exercices are: Work in a meat factory and use the carcass as punching bag.After work,you can always run after chicken (Not chicks!) Wrestling with a greasy pig will make you very strong!...

Bingo!...You have striking,cardio and wrestling!

WinterPalm
10-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Dynamic tension in sets is very beneficial expecially of the tiger variety.
I don't have any links for you but what you should do is pursue your choice of kung fu and instead of doing anything additional, just practice your kung fu. Considering that most people will never be a master and even then it will take forty or fifty years just to become adept; you might as well start training hard now.

diego
10-08-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
www.bjj.org/images/royce-delucia.jpg

I think this pic is very related to the topic of discussion. Notice the finely tuned physique of the red sash kung fu representative. The product of years of dedicated kung fu strength training exercises.

http://cgi.wyght.plus.com/forum/images/smilies/fuc*you.gif

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2002, 07:54 PM
The only stuff I know is pretty mundane. Wrist and ankle weights, like KL pointed out. Weighted vests are another variation on this theme. Body weight exercises and typical variations thereon (a good one is demonstrated in "Mad Monkey Kungfu" where Hsiou Hou does a kind of pushup where he's suspended by ropes looped around his hands and feet, and goes from a very wide spread eagle with his limbs behind him to a carefully balanced position where both feet and hands are together underneath him.) Or do like Gordon Liu in "36th Chamber" and carry buckets of water around with your arms straight out to the sides. Not too different from freeweight training, when you get down to it.

Regular pushups too easy? Put weight on your back, or lift your feet higher and higher so more of your bodyweight is on your arms and you have to be more careful about balance. The culmination of this is the one-handed handstand pushup.

None of this is likely to be a surprise to a knowlegable cat like Ryu, though.

African Tiger
10-08-2002, 08:21 PM
he just keeps coming back...

Somebody get us a prescription of Valtrex............ :rolleyes:

Xebsball
10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
There are really lots of them, but since you do mma you dont need any of those :rolleyes:

:D j/k really are you looking for something especific?

Xebsball
10-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Genital Herpes is bad but i think Genital Fungus looks worse.

TaoBoy
10-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Some of the stuff I've done in CMA:

- stance work
- dynamic tension
- tui sao (push hands) - not the tai ji variety, basically two-person dynamic tension exercises

I guess you could call it all traditional.

No_Know
10-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Besides what I might presume as legitamit from movies there are things that I might could see as along the lines of traditional Kung-Fu strength exercises.

drying a wet towel by squeezing it with bare hands, or wringing it out until you are tired and doing some more, stopping on;y because no more water drips or you'd rather or have to do something else.

Doing a handstand against a wall or door frame. do pushups with the side of the wall as support when you cannot actually push-up. Supporting yourself when you have begun to fatigue the muscles might increase one's strength.

Kicking on one leg until you Cannot. Then standing on it while you kick with the other leg.

I'd read that making a ring of rope putting the hands in the ring. Perform a splitting (two hand block until you can't/ have to go or the rope is broken. This increases seperating strength, theoretically.

Walk around with your legs (around ankles), in a rope ring (I use twine as a start). This trength can increase stepping dexterity/speed...leg/abdominal strength.

Ryu
10-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball
There are really lots of them, but since you do mma you dont need any of those :rolleyes:

:D j/k really are you looking for something especific?

Hey I'm an open minded MMArtist... I'll use whatever works.... that includes body conditioning. Much of the post was curiosity I suppose. :)

I've noticed that I'm getting a little more cut with bodyweight excercises then I was with free weights....
So I figured since I do a lot of that type of stuff anyway, I might stumble across something I didn't know about or something I might try. Etc.

Ryu

TkdWarrior
10-08-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ryu

I've noticed that I'm getting a little more cut with bodyweight excercises then I was with free weights....
So I figured since I do a lot of that type of stuff anyway, I might stumble across something I didn't know about or something I might try. Etc.

Ryu
it's intresting cus i hav seen Six packs in MAist but not much ppl who do body building...:p
-TkdWarrior-

SevenStar
10-08-2002, 11:27 PM
three star and sevenstar conditioning
stance training
iron buffalos (hindu pushups)
panther leaps
dynamic tension
weapons training
various gripping exercises
rock pole
pulley throws

SevenStar
10-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TkdWarrior

it's intresting cus i hav seen Six packs in MAist but not much ppl who do body building...:p
-TkdWarrior-

body builders have 6 packs. it's not from weightlifting though - it's from diet and cardio. the same reason you may see an MA with them. anybody who watches their diet and does cardio work can have one.

David Jamieson
10-08-2002, 11:47 PM
Hard qigongs are also a way of "working" strength.

These type of kungs are taught alongside a style to enhance the style.

In Shaolin kungfu, there are many 2 man drills that increase strength as well. Push hands for instance, not so much of the sensitivity variety but of the applied pressure and constant resistance variety.

star blocking drills and dynamic star blocking drills, mook jong work, nei gong and standards such as pushups, situps etc, these are all methods that can be wrapped into kungfu training for the purpose of strength development.

also, repetitive form work will do a lot for you. provided that the form is designed correctly and that you are performing it correctly.

no "style" of kung fu will give you anything more than what you put into it. that's a key for you :)

peace

No_Know
10-09-2002, 03:00 AM
Tie a thick telephonebook to a tree with a backing to make your hits even when you punch through most of the book. The cover removed. Most of the book's page below the rope line.

Walk up and down steps with just your hands and feet touching. Keep this up a while.

Kip-up with the goal of Kip-uping to a stand instead of a squat.

Wrap your hand/hand and forearm/hand to shoulder in metal wire spiraled around your relaxed arm. Secure it from the ens being loose. Perform forms/ techniques until the wire loosens/becomes unsecured at least some.

Former castleva
10-09-2002, 03:02 AM
various simple but effective finger related exercises like such grabbing gong´s of white crane etc.
pole swinging
branch twisting
brick grabbing
two man pushing/lifting hand exercises

Souljah
10-09-2002, 06:13 AM
are you talking about forms of 'kung' like one finger kung, red sand palm, speed kung, head kung and the like which were and still are practised by shaolin monks and some others today, with the original aim of some sort of telecenesis.

neptunesfall
10-09-2002, 07:15 AM
stances
snake turns over
lohan sharpening the axe
dragon sharpens it's claws
iron buddha
muscle tendon (ex)change
iron body

very few links on any of these. there's a short video of a supposed "shaolin muscle tendon change" qigong. it's nothing at all like what i've learned. looks like a crock to me.

muscle tendon crock (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/vidshaolmusc.html)

"iron body" parlor tricks (http://www.shaolinjeeshinwingchun.com.au/ironshirt.htm)

Ryu
10-09-2002, 09:03 AM
What exactly is a "tendon change" supposed to do?

neptunesfall
10-09-2002, 09:39 AM
it teaches you to use your upper body muscle groups against each other, how to tense your upper body in an extremely sudden manner to help with throws and deflecting/absorbing strikes.

Shadowboxer
10-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Ryu, I got this from an article on shuai jiao coach Peter Chema:

1. Belt cracking-pull belt in opposite directions in various stances. Graduate to leather belts, then steel chains.
2. Rock/brick twisting-start with hands at your sides palm up. Move hands forward while rotating palms down as you bring arms to shoulder height. Inhale and hold arms for 3-5 sec. Reverse. Use various stances and heavier rocks.
3.Jug/vase grabbing-Place vase in front of you on the ground. First variation is to grab vase with the fingers around the rim. Lift up to shoulder height. Hold as long as possible. 3 sets of 8-10 reps( for rock twisting too). Second variation, place hand inside vase and spread fingers so they are against the edge of the vase. Lift and hold. Gradually, add water or sand to vase.
4. Bamboo/vine twisting-bundle 15-20 pieces of bamboo together. Twist while moving into a bow&arrow stance on each side of the body. Twist while standing on 1 leg.
5.Rock training-Tie a rock or weight to a piece of rope and the other end of the rope to a stick. Hold arms out in front about shoulder height. Start with the "weight" on the ground and twist your wrists forward to raise the weight to the stick. Reverse. 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

These drills are "traditional,trendy, and terrific." Once you master these, you WILL be unstoppable! :D

IronFist
10-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Do a search for my posts on "Stone Warrior" Specifically, I think the best one is called something like "Stone warrior vs. Iron body" so read that one.

IronFist

neptunesfall
10-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Shadowboxer
Ryu, I got this from an article on shuai jiao coach Peter Chema:

1. Belt cracking-pull belt in opposite directions in various stances. Graduate to leather belts, then steel chains.
2. Rock/brick twisting-start with hands at your sides palm up. Move hands forward while rotating palms down as you bring arms to shoulder height. Inhale and hold arms for 3-5 sec. Reverse. Use various stances and heavier rocks.
3.Jug/vase grabbing-Place vase in front of you on the ground. First variation is to grab vase with the fingers around the rim. Lift up to shoulder height. Hold as long as possible. 3 sets of 8-10 reps( for rock twisting too). Second variation, place hand inside vase and spread fingers so they are against the edge of the vase. Lift and hold. Gradually, add water or sand to vase.
4. Bamboo/vine twisting-bundle 15-20 pieces of bamboo together. Twist while moving into a bow&arrow stance on each side of the body. Twist while standing on 1 leg.
5.Rock training-Tie a rock or weight to a piece of rope and the other end of the rope to a stick. Hold arms out in front about shoulder height. Start with the "weight" on the ground and twist your wrists forward to raise the weight to the stick. Reverse. 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

These drills are "traditional,trendy, and terrific." Once you master these, you WILL be unstoppable! :D

the only one i'd use is the belt cracking....you can develop the other stuff with better exercises

FatherDog
10-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by neptunesfall
the only one i'd use is the belt cracking....you can develop the other stuff with better exercises

like.....?

yenhoi
10-10-2002, 02:55 PM
SevenStar: what are panther leaps and what are you talking about rock pole?

SevenStar
10-10-2002, 08:40 PM
panther leaps:
lay on the floor on your toes and the palms of your hands, like the starting push up position. using your palms and toes, hop forward, as far as you would like to go.

rock pole:
get a pole with concrete on one end, or a barbell with weights properly secure to one end.

you do various leg lifts and sweeping motions with it. it builds strength for sweeping and throwing.

There is also a double ended rock pole which is used for upper body training.

Qi dup
10-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by old jong
Oups!....Sorry Ryu!
Some good exercices are: Work in a meat factory and use the carcass as punching bag.After work,you can always run after chicken (Not chicks!) Wrestling with a greasy pig will make you very strong!...

Bingo!...You have striking,cardio and wrestling!

Yeeh!

neptunesfall
10-11-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog

like.....?

like snake turns over, iron body and muscle tendon change.

edit- forgot to mention lohan grinds the axe, dragon sharpens it's claws...etc.

No_Know
10-11-2002, 06:37 AM
Some would know panther leaps, as the first stage of Centipede Leap-same as description SevenStar gave except not as far as would like. As far as Can. Also, not only forwards but backwards after good success with forward. Then with success with back, left or right. Then with good success with that direction finally do in the other direction.

It has been referred to as an escape technique. It was to be done after Lying Tiger (a push-up done on the toes and stages of: hands, fists on nuckles, five finger tips as support, to be done removing pinky/little finger as support, to be done removing ring finger as support, to be done removing middle finger as support, to be done removing index finger as support). The motion of the push-up is down, forward; up, backward--eliptical. Do until tired. When can do comfortablly, weight is added to the back gradually to some extent I would hope. Weight up to 300 catties (Chinese measurement; I think a cattie is more than one pound). It seemed that at each stage when person could comfortablly perform the eliptical motion with just toes and palm/hand at 300 catties, person completed that stage and could go on to just toes and fists. When completed (with 300 cattie weight) person could go on to on fingertips (completeing each following stage with the 300 cattie weight)...One has completed the Sleeping/Crouching/ Lying Tiger after the eliptical motion is done on the toes and thumb tips with the 300 cattie weight on the back).

After the training of Lying Tiger one has formidable palm strikes, fist strikes, finger strikes. This training is a foundation for Centipede Leap because the arms and legs are stronger and there can be more distance achieved for better escaping.

If done out of order or just Centipede Leap, your skill is small if not feeble compared to training done with the foundation of Lying Tiger.

SevenStar
10-11-2002, 10:12 AM
yeah, exactly what No_Know described. I just didn't go into any extreme detail. we do the push ups exercises he refered to as lying tiger (iron buffalo or hindu pushup) also, but not with weights on our backs (or at least we haven't yet) and not past the fingertips stage.

IronFist
10-11-2002, 10:20 AM
I thought a catty was like a couple ounces or something.

Dude, you know what I was thinking? Ok, say you get good at doing 5 finger pushups, and then you start taking fingers away. That means they would no longer get trained. So by the time you got up to like 2 finger (and thumb) pushups, your pinky and ring fingers would be weaker. Uh, yeah, that made sense, right?

IronFist

No_Know
10-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Valid, but not sound. Rest is required for development to take. Plus you are not neceassarilly forbidden from doing any of the passed ways. Merely, to progress you must procede.

IronFist
10-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah I know. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

IronFist

David Jamieson
10-12-2002, 07:16 AM
plum flower post training is great for strength training as well as the added benefit of balance, coordination and stepping skill.

the posts don't need to be high, but you do need several of them to get a good variety of use out of them. 2 man plum flower post drills takes it to the next level as well.

peace

Tainan Mantis
10-12-2002, 07:43 AM
In Northern and Southern China was a method of weight lifting using a rock called Shr Suo or rock lock. So named because it looks like a cabinet lock.

It has a handle and the practitioner throws it in the air with different types of throws and catches.

In front, behind the back, kick and under the leg maybe 20 different throws.
Most of the throws and catches relate to a principle of movement such as pulling an opponent downwards etc.

It is very difficult and quite dangerous as the rock can be up to 50 ibs.
Mine is about 20ibs.

While training in the park several old southern stylists have mentioned that they trained this in their school as a child. That would be during te 40's and '50's.
They also said that they have never seen a rock as small as mine.
The few antiques I have seen are indeed much larger than mine and sell for over 500 US$

These rocks often break and rarely do you come across an antique.
We have ours made by a tombstone cutter.

SevenStar
10-12-2002, 09:42 AM
hmmm.....for modernization's sake (and price), could those same exercises be done with a kettlebell?

Tainan Mantis
10-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Don't know what a kettle bell is.
A rock lock is rectangular with a handle carved in the top.
The handle is not higher than the rock itself.

Before learning how to throw we first use the sand bag. It is filled with green beans.
This is good start, but is limited somewhat in heavy you can make it.

I had mine made at a shop that makes canvas bags. The canvas is like old fashioned tent material.

SevenStar
10-12-2002, 06:14 PM
kettlebell (http://www.dragondoor.com/p10.html)