PDA

View Full Version : Quitting martial arts.

rogue
10-08-2002, 07:18 PM
OK, As of tonight I can't think of a reason to stay with the martial arts in a formal way. In other words paying for training.

1. Self defense: After several years of martial arts I know enough to handle myself in the street against most.

2. Health and fitness: I get a better workout by hitting the gym and doing my usual routine.

3. Comptition: I don't have the time to dedicate to compete in the ring.

4. Fun: It stopped being fun about two weeks ago. Suddenly sparring is more of a chore than the joy it used to be.

5. Sense of accomplishment: Learning another form and a handful of techniques for a belt just seems silly to me at the moment.

I think I'm going to take a break from class and just do what I want, when I want and visit some other schools. I guess I've hit burn out. :eek:

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Take it easy, bud. Nothing wrong with taking a break. Enjoy it. When and if your ready to get back into it, get back into it.

gazza99
10-08-2002, 07:47 PM
"5. Sense of accomplishment: Learning another form and a handful of techniques for a belt just seems silly to me at the moment"

What art are you quitting? I would say it must lack depth (or you fail to see it) if you cannot keep improving and learning something other than forms and a bigger catalog of techniques. In the internal arts just when I think Ive got something really well, I discover another thing about it, and see/feel another level I could not see/feel before.
I suppose when all else fails, change arts! Learning something new may give you that sense of accomplishment, and could help you past your place of stagnation in your current art.

I liken it to learning an instrument. There was a time when I was playing the drum set in competition jazz bands, when I didnt think my drumming skills could get any better. For a year I practiced dilligently with not much improvement. But finnaly It surged and I got much better.

good luck,

Gary

Stranger
10-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Keep your skills sharp on your own and use the time to be exposed to other styles. I hope you don't quit this forum.

MIA= Watchman, SLC, Jasbourne,..........

Don't add your name to the list!

NorthernMantis
10-08-2002, 08:45 PM
WHat don't tell me old lineage arguments have bored you ot. There's a new wong chun ever three months:D

TaoBoy
10-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by rogue
I think I'm going to take a break from class and just do what I want, when I want and visit some other schools. I guess I've hit burn out. :eek:

Sure, take a break. But, don't quit.
Get your fire back and then find something that is new and challenging.

Peace.

rogue
10-08-2002, 09:15 PM
It's not the art I'm doing it's just me. I just looked at the people in class and wondered why I wasn't home with my kids. I went down the list I posted above on the reasons to formally study the art and came up with no good reason to do so. I could keep going through the motions and treat what I'm doing as if it's somekind of performance art but that'd be worse than taking a break. The weird thing is how fast this happened.

"What art are you quitting? I would say it must lack depth (or you fail to see it) if you cannot keep improving and learning something other than forms and a bigger catalog of techniques."

It's not that Gary, it's more about doing something else with my time than something that in the grand scheme of things is pretty trivial. I'm still going to learn and practice forms and techniques but it just won't be in class. There are parts of the art I want to explore that just don't get addressed in the general class. Maybe some private lessons may do the trick.

Stranger I'll still be around, I mean who can ever get enough of the arguments over lineage and where to put the weight on ones foot over at the WC forum?:D

Shadow Dragon
10-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Rogue.

I fully understand where you are coming from.
Many people feel this way.

I often see it after people reach the BB level, once they got it they realise that they been spending too much time on getting it that Family work, etc suffered.

Rather than adjusting their schedule they often make 180 degree turn.

All the best for the future.

Cheers.

Stacey
10-08-2002, 09:35 PM
inconcievable

I couldn't do it....no way. More than a month and I start to lose balance. How can you stop? Doesn't make sense to me.

Ryu
10-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Rogue,
I understand where you're coming from actually. Now that you have the experience, training on your own might open a lot of interesting doors. You never know where you'll end up.

:D Betcha go back to JKD! LOL

Don't be a stranger here...

Ryu

diego
10-08-2002, 10:13 PM
So, Rogue. Basically, if I'm understanding Correctly, where You are coming from!...your saying in the grand scheme of things TKD is as trivial as tabletennis?.

Man, I'm Glad I do KF!!!

TkdWarrior
10-08-2002, 10:56 PM
u know Rogue Once a Martial Artists always a Martial Artist...
yup go ahead take a break...Man...
i m on break from TKD cause i wasn't getting enuff sleep time :D
but still practicing ...
-TkdWarrior-

SevenStar
10-08-2002, 11:10 PM
I agree with Ryu. Training on your own can be extremely beneficial if you are dilligent with it. good luck. stay on the forum and keep us updated.

Merryprankster
10-09-2002, 03:04 AM
So, Rogue. Basically, if I'm understanding Correctly, where You are coming from!...your saying in the grand scheme of things TKD is as trivial as tabletennis?.

Man, I'm Glad I do KF!!!

Actually, yes, in the grand scheme of things, MA's, regardless of what you do, are pretty trivial in this day and age. Nice to see that somebody gave the good ol' college try at the CMA condecending arrogance thing though. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM! :rolleyes:

Are you enjoying it and having a good time? If not, nothing wrong with a break.

old jong
10-09-2002, 05:04 AM
Everybody has to stop sometimes. You are at one of these crossroads. Just enjoy life and the moment.:)
But don't leave the forum!....;)

MightyB
10-09-2002, 05:27 AM
Hey,

I quit for a year for the same reasons. I only go once a week now, and sometimes I miss that. Your family is important, so is your life outside of the kwoon. It's allright to stop and smell the roses once in a while.

Have you ever thought about starting fresh in some completely different style? I've often thought about that, and even just the thought of it starts to recharge the batteries so to speak. Also, San Shou has saved my MA interest. I was on the verge of really quitting when I entered my first San Shou event. The new challenge has resparked some of my interest, although it's in a completely different way than what's considered the "True Martial Path".

Mr Punch
10-09-2002, 05:48 AM
Go on! I dare ya! Bugger off!

Bet ya can't! You'll be back ya spineless goon! :D :p

Seriously, I quit a couple of times for a wee while (nine months was the longest when I was only about 2 years in). It did me the world of good. I reaffirmed the reasons I enjoyed it so much, and realised it didn't have to exclude 'real life' (not that I even get close to that so often if I can help it!), and realised that I didn't actually want to be without it for much longer.

I found myself training by myself in a much less serious (as in up-my-own-ass) sort of way, and relaxing, and just enjoying myself. Consequently, I got a helluva a lot better when I went back feeling refreshed.

Good luck in your decision. It'll probably be the right one anyway, unless you decide to leave the board, in which case, we'll all have to kick your weaselly snivelling untrained ass!!!

Ford Prefect
10-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Rogue,

I hear ya, bud. I took a step back myself this spring. In the time I spent away, I was able to mountain bike, work towards my sky diving certificate, learn how to play the piano, start practicing my archery, and I will be snowboarding this winter. That was a lot more fulfilling to me. :) (definately jump out of a plane if you get the chance) I'm not knocking anybody here, but I realized that I'd rather be outdoors enjoying life than trapped in a room beating up people and getting beat up. That's actually why I circulated to the TCMA from the MMA arts approach this fall. I can go when I want and train when I want because I don't need mats and a partner.

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 06:20 AM
I hear ya rogue. There is a point where you can defend yourself, know plenty of form to spend a lifetime on, and can't really justify spending more on more form when you've got a family at home.

Fortunately, the system I'm learning is made up of only a few forms, and I'm learning one of the last two. Not that my learnng will ever be done, but once I've been taught them, I can do my kung fu early in the morning, and spend my evenings with family and with writing, which is something I'm looking forward to.

jon
10-09-2002, 07:05 AM
Rogue
I think you forgot several very important reasons to stay.

1 You can one day pass the arts on to a new generation and know that you have helped to resow the seeds for future generations to come.

2 Your family will know that you are a soldier and there is never going to come a time when you give up on them.

3 Becouse you never know when something new will click and another life times worth of learning and discovery will open up.

4 Ever dreamed of doing one of those forms you learn side by side with your children?

5 You may one day reach a level where you can influence the lives of many people for a positive purpose - or just make money off them:rolleyes:

6 Underneith the surface you are also learning many things like...
Physics, geometry, self dicipline, not to mention a whole other culture.

Having said all that...
You just sound bored and fustrated to me.
Why not do something totaly different?
Join a judo class? Give Silat a go? How about Western Fencing?
Try and broaden your horizons and make some comparisons, you may open up a new avenue or simply unlock a puzzle you couldnt figure out before.

Nothing wrong with a break though either, nothing is forcing you to be a martial artist. Still there is certainly MANY things which are of obvious benifit.
All the best and i hope you stay with us, i really enjoy reading your posts.
Jon

eulerfan
10-09-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by jon
Rogue
I think you forgot several very important reasons to stay.

2 Your family will know that you are a soldier and there is never going to come a time when you give up on them.

That was a bit heavy handed, don't you think?

Chang Style Novice
10-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Not to mention backward - if you read the original post, he's quitting martial arts to be with his family MORE.

fa_jing
10-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Since I got rocked 2 weeks ago, I felt little effect after a couple days. But Sunday night, I did some very light sparring. That was enough to give me headaches and make me start feeling out of it. Now I feel wierd and part of my scalp tingles from time to time. Clearly sparring is out for 6 weeks or more. I'm in this for longevity, among other things. Yet it is essentially a violent practice, I mean equivalent to tackle football, hockey, etc. Some guy just came out with a book on having a healthy brain, and he advises to avoid head trauma like the plague. Some studies show that a large percentage of Alzheimers patients have a history of head trauma. My grandfather suffered from Alzheimer's.
And MA is awfully expensive for my limited means.

That said, private lessons are better than a regular class if you have other commitments, because you're getting just as much out of less hours in class.

Still, I don't think I can walk away from this challenge. Especially since I am only a year or two away from becoming totally sweet, and I mean that. Actually, one of the reasons I have gotten hurt in the past is because I am not cautious enough, and play poor defense. And I'm not looking to fight in the UFC, once I get to the point of winning some of these local tournaments I'm not going to go looking for a bigger challenge - no thanks.

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Here's his options:

1) Quit and be happy spending time with his family.

2) Stick with it and become so good that your children will never dare complain about missing you. However, on this option, never teach your children, or it destroys the benefits of those years of practice while they were at boarding school.

Really, it sounds like you have enough to work on for the rest of your life even without extra. No worries.

Wait, I just thought of something. You're gonna need to put those kids through college. How ya gonna do that? I'll tell you how: a chain of profitable mcdojos!

You've got the perfect setup for it. You know tkd, and you know people who can come up with chinese names for what you're gonna call your tkd, cause no one's gonna pay much for another tkd school, but Chengsha Do? Priceless.

Now all you need is pictures of some hairy guy who you can say was your master, and the inference that you are above the use of a parachute, and you'll have them chanting your name and selling flowers at the airport.:D

HuangKaiVun
10-09-2002, 09:00 AM
I've been following your posts for quite some time, rogue.

I think that you NEED to get away from class.

As a professional martial arts instructor, I recognize when people get to a point where I as a teacher cannot take them any further. After a while, one must go his own way.

In your case, I wouldn't even suggest private lessons. You really KNOW your style - there's little a teacher can show you. Only you can make the next step.

Keep in mind that for you, the next step is TOTAL MASTERY.

GeneChing
10-09-2002, 09:09 AM
The act of quitting is as momentary as the act of beginning again. The warrior path is not for everyone. It might be a good time for you to read the Bhagavad Gita - it's a short book and I feel that it addresses the choice of a warrior's path or the one not taken. It's what I always advise people to read when they are considering quitting.

rubthebuddha
10-09-2002, 09:23 AM
huangkaivun is right -- this seems to have been coming for a while. most of the time when you talk about your training, it's not all that positive for a while. so take a break. could be 8 weeks, could be 80 years. your kids will appreciate the fact that you're spending more time with them, and THEY are far greater a source of inspiration than any art i've ever known. they'll teach you more than any sifu can about life and the way the world works. and if they can show you a better hook kick, all the better. good luck, but take to heart all the people who ask you to stick around here. cause if you don't, i'm going to bring some of my wing chun buddies over and we'll have a lineage argument in your living room.

Chang Style Novice
10-09-2002, 09:25 AM
The Baghavad Gita (http://www.panlatrevo.com/texts/bhagita/), if you feel like doing as Gene suggested.

scotty1
10-09-2002, 09:32 AM
I have had an enforced period of not training through injury.

It has made me want to train again like mad.

But it has also made me consider my direction in the MA and life in general.

It was a knee strain and inflamed cartilage on my chest that made me stop, and I was told not to strike or be struck while I heal, so that's kickboxing out. Also, the knee and my chest may have permanent damage that may cause more damage if I ever went back to such an external style of MA.

So I am going to study an internal art from now on. I have always wanted to but needed to 'conquer' the competition side of kickboxing before I did so. But I am now questioning why? and timing my study of the internal arts with a possibly life changing move to China for a year.

So on reflection, after stepping back, I have re-evaluated and changed, which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't have been forced to. I have decided that I don't need to prove myself in competition before I pursue what I really want to do, which is an internal art.

So maybe you will do the same.

shaolinboxer
10-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Scotty -

Interesting how that happens. I moved from san shou to aikido for the same reasons.

Perhaps rogue will move in a similar direction.

fa_jing
10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not that interested in soft-style training. Not that I don't think it's effective, rather I just don't see myself enjoying it as much.
Not that this thread is about me! Just continuing with my obsessive-compulsive thread hijacking.

Budokan
10-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Adios.

yenhoi
10-09-2002, 02:33 PM
You needed to quit mcdojo TKD anyways.

Study a new, street efective, internal style, like MT/BJJ.

diego
10-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Actually, yes, in the grand scheme of things, MA's, regardless of what you do, are pretty trivial in this day and age. Nice to see that somebody gave the good ol' college try at the CMA condecending arrogance thing though. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM! :rolleyes:

Are you enjoying it and having a good time? If not, nothing wrong with a break.

Uno if you use a BigggrrR sPoon' Yah might get the crap outyoO Wheatie's!,

diego
10-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
You needed to quit mcdojo TKD anyways.

Study a new, street efective, internal style, like MT/BJJ.

exactly what is the big deal?. violence will always be out thier...why did you take up MA in the first place.
like buddy mentioned he learnt the piano...what happens if you get your ass beat tommorrow and you became scared in your daily patterns...you will be right back at the gym..so just get a new hobby...i dont know why MA was ever a hobby for you anyway, Your prolly just bored; Go rent a Movie or something!.:)

Ky-Fi
10-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Rogue,

I'm a bit of an analytical person myself, and I appreciate the way that you went down the list of what you were NOT getting out of your current MA. Although I haven't stopped training Taiji, for the past year I've been focusing a lot more on western fencing, as I felt a need for an art with a much heavier emphasis on the sport/competetive side.

From reading a lot of your posts, I know you're pretty knowledgeable about a lot of different martial arts, and maybe you should consider a different art. There's such an incredibly wide spectrum of things emphasized by various arts, from the purely sportive arts, to stuff like Kyudo, that's much more geared towards the subtler things. I think it's all about finding the art(s) that give you the balance you need. I would suggest deeply analyzing what you DO want (including things like amount of time per week required, mental, physical, spiritual benefits, short term and long term goals, type of people and environment you'd be around, etc)----maybe you won't find that in a martial art, but there's so much widely diverse stuff out there I think it's very possible you would.

fa_jing
10-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Ironically, I'm thinking of getting back into TKD. As far as kicking is concerned. I've learned to do some good new kicks, but my old TKD kicking skills have become very rusty.

jon
10-09-2002, 04:40 PM
uhh just clearing things up...

Posted by me:
"2 Your family will know that you are a soldier and there is never going to come a time when you give up on them."

Replies:

"That was a bit heavy handed, don't you think?"

"Not to mention backward - if you read the original post, he's quitting martial arts to be with his family MORE."

* My meaning in that statement was that im sure his family respects that he trains hard to protect them. One thing i like about the martial arts is that people take up the responsiblity to protect not just themselfs but there loved ones as well.
It was NOT meant to read that rogue was a 'quitter' and may give up on his own family.

The guy is a bit of a fool but the rapper eminem makes a great line in one of his songs...
"My baby knows that her daddys a soldier, nothing can take her from me"
This is also the way i like to think about it.

Arioch7
10-09-2002, 04:45 PM
I agree with Taoboy. Take a break and check out a new style that you think you are weak in(I know you did not say this exactly Taoboy.). It does wonders for your humility.

I have been burned out myself and could not really get into the Northern Longfist thing as it was just a rehash of different ways to do what I was already proficient in.

I have taken a long break and might join a new style as a raw beginner but it will be interesting.

In the mean time, why dont you buy a 40 pound weight vest and train with that! :D I am only half-joking. LOL!

rogue
10-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Howdy guys. Thanks for all the advice, most of it is even good!:D
I'd say my title "quitting martial arts" was over the top. I should have said "Dropping my training" or something like that. This afternoon I told my instructor I was going on hiatus, he told me he's taking some time off in January to go study with someone outside our system. It's non-traditional. Go figure. :D

For the record, I'm still going to train. I have plenty of cardio and weight work to catch up on. I'm still going to practice, but I'm going to concentrate on my many weak spots. I am not leaving KFO, and I will still buy KFQM at the news stand. And yes Ryu I was thinking about doing JKD for a few months.:D Or maybe BJJ just to get some basic ground skills again.

In your case, I wouldn't even suggest private lessons. You really KNOW your style - there's little a teacher can show you. Only you can make the next step. HKV, thanks for the compliment but while I know what my style contains there's still much work to do to get it down in a usable form. When I say private lessons I'm looking more for a coach than someone to show me the secret killing techniques of Ashida Kim. :) There are a couple of teachers I'm going to seek out and see if they fit the bill.

Keep on smiling everyone this stuff can't be that serious!:D

Ford Prefect
10-10-2002, 05:24 AM
Ky-Fi,

Not to hijack the thread, but where are you fencing? That place on the north shore or the boston fencing club place in watertown?

Ky-Fi
10-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Hey Ford,

It's the 3MB Fencing club right in my hometown of Beverly. It's an interesting mix---a lot of kids and a few serious adults. The head instructor was on the US national team a few times, plus there's a former Russian pro that coaches, who berates me every class: "you hef veddy nize speed, vedy nize....bud your lunges are incoddect (shaking his head) no no no....."

Really top notch instruction, though. Definitely a humbling experience to start a new art from scratch, ---getting your a$$ kicked weekly by c0cky 16 year-olds can really make the blood boil!! I'm going to try to compete starting next year.

By the way, I went in to see Reverend Tim a couple weeks ago at the Hong Kong. Oh my god, I was splitting my sides laughing. He has this new routine about his wife recently giving birth, and the repercussions---one of the stories ended with his wife walking in on him while he was masturbating to a recording of one of his own comedy bits (He panicked when he heard her coming and only had time to shut off the computer monitor with the porn on it) :). The closing line was " That's the difference between a wife and a girlfriend----a girlfriend would have yelled "oh, you're sick!!", but my wife just shook her head, closed the door and left".

Hey, skydiving sound pretty cool--I've always wanted to try that. There's a couple people I work with that have done that---isn't there a place out in Central Mass?

Ford Prefect
10-12-2002, 09:10 AM
LOL! That's too funny. I'm hoping to get to the Hong Kong sometime this winter.

That's cool about the fencing too. Maybe I'll check the place out. My girlfriend lives in Peabody, so it would be pretty close by. I've been thinking about trying to find some sword art other then the usual Iado/Kenjutsu stuff.

The skydiving place you're talking about is in Orange. A few of my friends have been there. The place I went was out near Los Angeles when I was visitting my bud in Cali. The guy my friend was with was the guy who did the stunts for Point Break, Charlies Angels, and that new Austin Powers with the dude parachuting into a Porsche. I'm finishing up in Peperrel, Mass. They're close the NH border. It's such a huge aedraline rush.

Ky-Fi
10-13-2002, 02:43 PM
Ford,

in order to not hijack this thread any further :), I'm responding to you in the "Other Related Arts" forum.