PDA

View Full Version : Baoding Balls

African Tiger
10-08-2002, 08:51 PM
I'll refrain from calling them Ben Wa, since the sexual (S & M?) reference is just too close... Yes I know - I'm not normally so prudent, but considering my new pair are really large and black.......

So this new pair are made of jade. Does it matter, or is it a matter of asthetics?

Does anyone know how the movement stimulates the meridians? I was just using them to increase grip strength and avoid carpal tunnel.

Any links? Any info?

TaoBoy
10-08-2002, 08:54 PM
I was always under the impression that they stimulated the meridians of the hands. They also exercise the musles and tendons - BONUS!

Anyone else?

Former castleva
10-09-2002, 06:02 AM
Yeah.
They are supposed to stimulate points and maintain health.
Iīve also heard that they can/have been used for SD by martial artists (of the old,I guess) could be used on feet too if I remember correctly,unfortunately my knowledge runs short but there is this decent site which I remember to have had some information...
www.qi-journal.com (itīs quite well-rounded though so donīt hold your breath)

GeneChing
10-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Most people just spin a pair of balls in their palm, but there are actually quite a few forms of exercises for these. Some spin in threes or even fives, but using smaller balls of course. There was this kinetic juggler, Michael Moschen (sp?) who excelled in ball play - you can see his work in the movie Labrynth with David Bowie.

According to TCM several meridians end in the hand - triple burner, pericardium, heart, large & small intestine and lung. They say that spinning the balls massages these points so its good for your qi. The heart goes from hand to eye, so this is why some iron palm people think if your practice is wrong, you'll go blind. Well I've heard that before...;)

As for the material, Feng shui people beleive that this is very important. Jade is reputed to store qi - in fact, true jade will change color after you wear it for prolonged periods - picking up your qi. Metal balls are most commonly used in the martial arts since they are unadorned and heavier. Cloisonne balls are often adorned with symbols like a dragon & phoenix, yin yangs and so forth, so of course Feng Shui likes that. And the chime-filled ones are reputably good for your qi too if they are properly tuned. Bells play a large role in meditation and feng shui.

There were two books out on the balls - both from the same publisher, but by different authors. I thought both were rather silly. I mean, how much do really want to know about balls? Not enough to fill a book.

Anyway, no martial artist should be without them. They are great for carpel tunnel. I keep a set by my phone so I can play them then. I used to play them watching TV, back when I watched TV. Don't play and drive though.

Get your balls here!
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-41l.html

African Tiger
10-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I went to the Japanese Garden here in Los Angeles, and of course, I took my baoding with me to mediate and think.

Well clumsy ass Giacomo dropped his big, black, brand new balls into the biggest ****ing koi pond I have ever seen! :mad:

So now some **** fish is playing with my balls....somehow that didn't come out right...:confused:

Talk about screwing up your Zen! Anywho, thanks for the advice, kung fu kiddies.

African Tiger
10-09-2002, 04:14 PM
guohen - please explain what you mean by:
Besides rolling the tai ping balls in your hands, two or three right side up or upside down you can press accupresure points in hard to reach areas with them

I will certainly use them in iron shirt training when the times comes. But won't people think I'm crazy, throwing iron balls at myself? :p

TaoBoy
10-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by African Tiger
I went to the Japanese Garden here in Los Angeles, and of course, I took my baoding with me to mediate and think.

Well clumsy ass Giacomo dropped his big, black, brand new balls into the biggest ****ing koi pond I have ever seen! :mad:

So now some **** fish is playing with my balls....somehow that didn't come out right...:confused:

Talk about screwing up your Zen! Anywho, thanks for the advice, kung fu kiddies.

Looks like you need to take better care of your balls, AT. :D

African Tiger
10-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Yeah. Now they're all wet, sticky, and surrounded by fish....

GeneChing
10-10-2002, 09:23 AM
lol! How deep was that pond? Why didn't you go wading after them?

KC Elbows
10-10-2002, 09:36 AM
He probably had white pants on. Nothing more embarrassing than standing there, white pants soaked with cold water, and yelling "Have you seen my balls?":D

Abstract
10-10-2002, 12:14 PM
He probably had white pants on. Nothing more embarrassing than standing there, white pants soaked with cold water, and yelling "Have you seen my balls?"

L to the O to the freakin' L:p :p

African Tiger
10-11-2002, 11:12 AM
What would I do without you guys? I really needed that laugh today!

I'm going to get "ball replacements" today or tomorrow. This time, I'll keep 'em in my pants.....

uki
02-07-2010, 04:43 AM
i have been doing using two 9lber's in each hand. :)

David Jamieson
02-07-2010, 07:21 AM
i have been doing using two 9lber's in each hand. :)

so the baodings are inserted? lol

dude, stop pulling the archives out. :mad:

SPJ
02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPU0OtaIdA&NR=1

wow.

:)

dragon76
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Some of these balls play "musical" sounds, like they have bells inside them. I always found that annoying. Is there any point to the sounds, or is it just a gimmick?

David Jamieson
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Some of these balls play "musical" sounds, like they have bells inside them. I always found that annoying. Is there any point to the sounds, or is it just a gimmick?

you can get them without as well.
some people like the bell sounds.

uki
02-11-2010, 04:15 AM
you can get them without as well.
some people like the bell sounds.i find the bell balls are great for infants and young children as toys... they are reflective, they make music when shook around and they are safe for a child to chew on with their gums. :D

YouKnowWho
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM

In the old time the Baoding ball was also used to put at the 4 corners inside of a throwing bag. When the bag is flying toward you, you can hear the sound (it functions as bells). When a 20 lb bag flying toward you, it's quite dangerous to get hit on the head (people were killed by the throwing bag in the past).

mickey
02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Greetings,

I did not know that Baoding balls made sounds. I thought it was just the women that used them.

uki,

What are the diameters of the Baoding balls that you use?

By the way, Baoding balls were also used as throwing weapons.

mickey

uki
02-13-2010, 02:46 PM
uki, What are the diameters of the Baoding balls that you use?i use two 9lbers, each is 3 1/4 inches. :D

mickey
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Dang uki!!

If one of my hands got caught in one of your mitts, I would have to shoot you.

mickey

uki
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Dang uki!! If one of my hands got caught in one of your mitts, I would have to shoot you.i am a mason to boot so you better make sure your aim is not off. :p

uki
02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
all this talk of playing with your balls... enjoy the ministry of manipulation. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j62XQh1UJyE&feature=related