PDA

View Full Version : help required with chi sao

bougeac
10-09-2002, 01:47 AM
hi,
ive been doing wing chun for around 5 years and until a year ago thought my training and skills were ok... but found an
instructor from a different lineage who made me realise that the wing chun i'd been taught was sh*t (i later found out that the guy who originally taught me was a "self appointed" black sash
who learnt alot of his stuff from books and videos!!!

anyways, i digress.. my chi sao learnt with the previous instructor tended to be a couple of rolls followed by a barrage of chain punches and elbows with no real dexterity or usage of the system at all, im now re-learning chi sao , how to stick properly how to project proper forward energy etc and am happier with this but something is confusing me a bit, and im hoping one of you kung fu brothers out there can help...

when you are doing chi sao (as opposed to gor sao which is, as i understand a more combatative version of chi sao) are you just rolling and occasionally feeding your partner with very simple attacks so he can use the most appropriate shape to respond based on the attack and energy given?

for example , say we both have a rolling and riding hand and from my left fook i punch low and my partner responds with a right dai bong sao , would you from there just go back into the roll or would you carry on and try to take the line??

when doing chi sao after an exchange of techniques what do you use to decided when to go back into the roll?

ive spoken to my sifu (my sifu lives in the uk and i train with him privately every six weeks due to the cost of airtravel etc) and its pretty difficult to explain on the phone, im planning to thrash this one out with him when i train next, but in the mean time help is needed!!

thanks in anticipation.:confused:

YungChun
10-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by bougeac

when you are doing chi sao (as opposed to gor sao which is, as i understand a more combatative version of chi sao) are you just rolling and occasionally feeding your partner with very simple attacks so he can use the most appropriate shape to respond based on the attack and energy given?

for example , say we both have a rolling and riding hand and from my left fook i punch low and my partner responds with a right dai bong sao , would you from there just go back into the roll or would you carry on and try to take the line??

Hi,

Here is a post of mine from another thread, it covers much of this area, here:

--------------------

People doing Chi-Sao will invariably play, often the ego is a major factor here. That said, strict interpretation of the exercise as I have learned it include the following components:

1. Both partners should be trying to control/attack/fill (their part of ) the Centerline all the time.

2. Both players should use forward energy and correct structure to do #1.

3. Both partners use Luk Sao (Rolling - not too fast) to maximize control of the Centerline.

4. If both partners maintain sufficient control of the Centerline nothing should happen except rolling - perfect Chi-Sao.

5. An 'attack' (a technique) is the result of a defect in one of the partner's energy/structure.

6. A valid striking technique should have at least one single stroke follow up available (Fan Sao.)

So the attack, in a very real sense begins at number 1 above. The 'attack' begins when rolling begins. One may turn up the attack and use more energy. One may even use impure energy to gain an advantage but will sacrifice part of his structure or energy in so doing. This kind of artificial attack is nullified when playing with an advanced senior - where this kind of attack will either get you bruised up or airborne.

Ultimately, attack is a constant in Chi-Sao - it's more a matter of intensity. One can only ask if the attack is correct and pure or clumsy and artificial. Clumsy and artificial 'attacks' will often work (and confuse) your Si-Dai; while correct and pure 'attack' will keep your Si-Hings and Si-Dai's (and you) honest and promote good and effective training.

-----------------

Feel free to ask for any clarification(s).