PDA

View Full Version : Weird craving spurts

Cipher
10-09-2002, 07:18 AM
What does it mean when you go through different craves spells? I would guess that you are missing a certain nutrient or something and you body is making up for it.

I usualy don't eat candy and candy bars and that sort of thing. Mostly eat healthy food, take vitamins. I have been eating a lot of garlic bread thanks to my wife :) for the past week or so I have been to a lot of events and parties so the fat content has gone up in what I have been eating due to this, but anyways I went through a spell were I just wanted to eat a bunch of candy/sweets. It only lasted for the day but still what is going on? It seems like this happens every 5 or 6 weeks in a really noticeable manner.

Repulsive Monkey
10-09-2002, 08:58 AM
definitely sounds like weak Spleen Qi. One the classic symptoms of it is abnormal appetite changes and when its one of requiring sweet food stuffs it usually represents that the Spleen is weak.

rubthebuddha
10-09-2002, 09:44 AM
think of it this way: every now and then, your caveman ancestors stumbled upon a haven of fruity sweets, and they just gorged themselves on the goodness, knowing it may be a long time before they get another such opportunity.

this is just a modern representation of such behavior -- your body just wants something and it's not bad to give it to it every now and then.

unless it wants crack. then giving in is probably not for the best.

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 10:39 AM
I don't know if this is still one of those things in scientific favor, but for a while, there was talk of many people's having what was called a "thrift gene".

The idea was similar to what rub was saying. They were hard wired for gorging from olden times. They could function that way, occassional gorges separated by long periods where food was not readily available. The idea is that some people have this gene, and can subsist on next to nothing, but have a near constant hunger. The problem is that, in modern times, the gene works against people that have it, as they tend to gorge, and run into problems with obesity and diabetes due to the lack of lean times.

Not saying that's why you want sweets. Rub just reminded me of that.

Cipher
10-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Hmmm.. I don't think it is the case with me. Some times the same thing happens with veggis too, maybe a lack of fiber. Although I eat Veggis every day so I am usualy pretty stocked up in the rabbit department

SevenStar
10-09-2002, 03:29 PM
I posted something similar several months ago. I had a craving for juice. particularly apple juice. I'd go through 64fl oz per day. the craving lasted a good little while, and I still have them. I also get that same urge for good chinese food. Weird, huh?

Arhat of Fury
10-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Maybe your blood sugar was low?
Does diabetes run in the fam?

SevenStar
10-09-2002, 09:05 PM
nah, nobody in my family has ever had that, as far as I know. back to my great great grandparents, I know for a fact none have had it.