PDA

View Full Version : which syle should i select??

neverdonekungfu
10-09-2002, 09:59 AM
hello ive never studied a martial art before but i want to start.
in the area of scotland i live in there seems to be a few schools but i dont know what ones are any good, i havent gone along to any but i thought someone here may be able to help.

there is the following

1:yee's hung ga kung fu
2:lar ga kung fu
3:kupso kung fu
4:free style kung fu classes

and a few other schools whos photos had pictures of people smashing bricks up etc (yawn)

can someone please tell me the difference as i know zip about kung fu

SanHeChuan
10-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Do you have like web site's we can look at? Otherwise my Wigi (Qigi?) board says # 2.

Waidan
10-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Going purely on reputation, Hung Gar is a well known and generally highly regarded system. Powerful hand techniques and a well developed internal component. I'd probably go that route.

Waidan
10-09-2002, 10:28 AM
"Ouiji"

MonkeySlap Too
10-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Not enough info there to give you could advice, sorry.

Any URL's available? Could you describe these clubs from their literature?

neverdonekungfu
10-09-2002, 11:03 AM
ok here are the web pages

http://www.yeeshungga.com/

www.kupso.com

the free style kung fu guy does not have a web page but he also teaches kickboxing and blends with kung fu - i dont think that sounds good? would that not be a bit like jack of all trades master of no trades?

MonkeySlap Too
10-09-2002, 11:23 AM
What are your goals for training?

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 11:24 AM
First off, the kupso isn't kung fu until you're an advanced student, and they don't really specifiy, they say "southeaster arts", which could be a lot of things. They could be good, but I don't know, too many arts for my tastes, but they might have a number of instructors, so it's hard to say.

The hung gar looks ok. All of the students I see at the Scotland branch photo were young. I'm assuming it's a newer school.

lar ga-this might be the same as lau gar, which is an art that the guy who runs the hung gar school studies, so it might be the same people. I'm not that familiar with lau gar, but I think it's a southern kung fu style that's supposed to be decent.

As for the freestyle thing, the mix doesn't mean lack of specialization. For instance, I am specialized in six elbows kung fu, but I've also got some longfist experience that benefits me occassionaly. However, without knowing more of their credentials, it's hard to judge.

Check out all of the schools, and go to the one that seems to have what you're looking for.

Radhnoti
10-09-2002, 11:28 AM
I think lots of Jeet Kun Do (concepts) schools integrate kickboxing into the curriculum.
...you didn't really mention what you're lookin' for out of your training...SO....my advice is to check them out personally and go with the best INSTRUCTOR. That's (in my opinion) the most important thing anyway. :)
Don't make any decision until you've check them all out, and don't let anyone use any pressure sales techniques on you.

Leonidas
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Who teaches the Lau gar where you live. They have many official teachers in the UK and it has a good reputation but there might be some frauds or people that haven't completed training and opened schools anyway. I would check that out if you get the chance. What part of Scotland are you living?

shaolinboxer
10-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Any of them would be a fine start.

I would choose for superficial reasons at this point (location, facilities, price), and get to know the character of the students and teacher.

neverdonekungfu
10-09-2002, 12:12 PM
lau gar school is not linked to hung ga one as far as i can see,

im not sure what my goals are.
self defence is obvious but thats not my only reason
i would like to be more confident.
i want to learn something other than school stuff.
im healthy and fit but more exercise cant be bad for me
i live in a small town called banchory its near aberdeen (the town i would go to do kung fu) so location aint essential

i phoned them and they all cost close enough to each other to not let money matter, however the hung ga man i spoke to on the phone seemed to be the most proffesional - he answered the phone by announcing the name of the school and he also said i didn't have to take part i could just come along and watch.

should i ask them what their qualifications are for teaching? or is that a bit rude?

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
The polite way would be to ask them about their teachers.

neverdonekungfu
10-09-2002, 12:20 PM
what like ask them who their teachers are and where they learned etc?

Budokan
10-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Screw politeness. You need to walk into that kwoon and claim you're the biggest baddest MF in town and that you can take on any pansified KF player with one hand tied behind your back. After they finish with you and throw your mutilated body back onto the street (assuming anyone can recognize you because your face is now hamburger) then you assess how long it takes to heal up fully.

The longer you stay in the hospital and the more excruciating pain you endure from your wounds, the better the kwoon.

I fully realize you may have to endure this four times from the list you gave, but you want to be sure, don't you?

Good luck!

old jong
10-09-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey!...That's how I got all my students!:cool:

Chang Style Novice
10-09-2002, 12:29 PM
I believe the traditional method is to jump 20 feet in the air and kick their sign in half.

KC Elbows
10-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Neverdonekungfu,
Obviously, of the motley bunch on this forum, you can only take me seriously.

Yes, respectfully ask about their teacher, how they came to study kung fu, stuff like this.

Also, ask if they spar.

Then kick their sign, kiss their wife(passionately now) and moon their children's class.

Only then can you truly judge.

And remember, every time an instructor hits you, say "You call that power?"

neverdonekungfu
10-09-2002, 12:37 PM
you guys are funny

Budokan
10-09-2002, 12:38 PM
LOL @ KC Elbows.....:D Yeah, calling into question the sifu's ability while he's pounding you is always a good tactic....:D

Colin
10-09-2002, 12:45 PM
OK i'm not exactly impartial here, but i'd say go have a look at them all.
Lau Gar is an excellent style (i would say that wouldn't I) but as Leonidas says there are many people claiming to teach authentic Lau Gar in the UK that have only learnt part of the syllabus, and gone off doing there own thing.
Ask the instructor if they have direct lineage to Master Jeremy Yau and if they are members of the British Kung Fu Association.
If they do then you will receive authentic Lau Gar Kuen training, if however they do not then well.......I won't say anymore!
You can check them out via www.laugar-kungfu.com
Give the regional instructor a call, Sifu Steve Newby, he's a nice bloke and will help you.

I've just had a read through the Yeehungga site, and they seem pretty good too.

I don't quite understand the Kupso site, as they don't tell you what they teach. TKD & jujitsu to start then some unknown SE Asian stuff!

Hope this helps.

cheers
Colin.........
London Lau Gar Kuen

TaoBoy
10-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I suggest actually attending the schools and see how they operate. Ask some questions. Participate in a class if you feel comfortable. This is the only way to make a decision.

And don't trust the suggestions of crazy, anonymous internet forum types...aah...except me of course...you can trust me...really. ;)

Now go forth and conquer!

JusticeZero
10-09-2002, 09:28 PM
Visit them all. Find the best teacher in the bunch. Find the person with students who are as good as the master, if not eclipsing him in ability. There's the art for you.

phoenix-eye
10-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Neverdonekungfu

I'm guessing you're in Aberdeen and the Hung Gar teacher is Bruce Clark? I don't know him but if he is certified by Frank Yee then I would suggest he is the real deal.

I am in Dundee and study Lau Gar and Hung Gar. My teacher studies under Wing Lam (not through the videos(!!)..... - he goes regularly to USA to train with Sifu Lam in person and recently had Sifu Lam over to teach us)

I know the leader of Kupso organisation - I did some Tae Kwon Do under him some years back. He was good standard (but a bit in your face....) but I don't know about the instructor in Aberdeen.

My advice is to try the Hung Gar school first and see if you like it. I saw a clip on the TV some time ago and the standard looked quite good.

I'm away the next few days but post back and we can speak again.

Cheers

PE