PDA

View Full Version : fight time

brothernumber9
10-09-2002, 10:59 AM
alot of people will say that most fights last only a few seconds. Although I wouldn't say I have been in a lot of fights, most of the fights i've been involved in and have witnessed have been far longer than a few seconds, individuals getting jumped by a group not withstanding.

Nearly all the fights I've been in occured (sp) before I was 19 and before I joined a kung fu school. Though most of the fights I observed occured afterward.
wether in a club or on the street, on the basketball court, football field, picnics, etc, a few fights I've seen have gone up to as long as 30 mins and few have ended decisively before 30 seconds.

What are some other peoples' take or experience on how long most fights have been in their time? I've been in probably less than 20 fights in my life and only 4 since I was 15. I've seen more fights than I can remember, but again the frequency decreased after around 23 yrs old. As I got older, then less fights were one on one, usually several people or groups were involved. People running around like crazy and the fights would move over more than a small area.

mysteri
10-09-2002, 09:57 PM
most fights i've seen have been over in a few seconds after the first technique was thrown. i've never seen someone gettin pounded on for 30 secs consecutively(then again, there was tyson vs. lewis :)) but my point is as martial artists, we train to diffuse situations within a few seconds because usually if u can't diffuse it within the first 10 seconds, ur probably in trouble. i'm not talkin about one technique and then wait for them to throw another one. i'm talkin about from the first instance contact is made, ur one person is tryin to take the other person down quickly and preferably hard enough so they wont want to get up again or so they'll have a longer time to get away!

IMHO, the reason why most fights last more than a few seconds is b/c either the person isnt skilled enough to diffuse it sooner or they spend too much time bull$h!tting! bridge and drop them, dont spend all day blocking. jus my 2 cents...

Choke
10-10-2002, 05:35 AM
With a one on one confrontation if the people involved let it last more than say 30 secs to a minute then they are not being aggressive enough. The longest one on one street fight I have ever seen lasted around 10 minutes. It involved an ongoing game of tag.

Mind you group fights can last for some time due to the number of people involved.

Choke