PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar vs. Hung Ga?

Jables
10-10-2002, 08:33 AM
Is there a difference between these two? Or is it more of a regional thing. I ask for probably the silliest of reasons. I am currently looking for a uniform. I went to an online site, andd then to their fine selections of Southern style uniforms. On a whim, I decided to look through the Northern style uniforms and that's where I saw a "Hung Ga" uniform, with the long sleeves indicative of northern style practicioners. I understand that clothes are clothes, and I could practice in sweats and tennis shoes if my sifu allowed it, but it got me wondering if there was a difference between Hung Ga and Hung Gar.

GeneChing
10-10-2002, 09:04 AM
It is the same character in Chinese - it's just hard to spell. In cantonese, it's sounds something between gah and gar - the 'r' sound is very faintly voiced. Just to be more confusing, in mandarin, it's hong jia.

Jables
10-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I really appreciate it.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-11-2002, 05:49 AM
Jables:

I now understand better the type of kung fu you're training in. It is those ones where you have to dress in the appropriate costume to please your sifu. But to come into class dressed in a northern kung fu uniform in a southern kung fu class, your sifu would surely be very crossed with you.

As it is I'm sure sifu already quite displeased for changing your status from junior member on this forum to black tiger with her permission!

Becareful, sifu could br very stern and have you disaplined so serverly that you'll be on all fours screaming and begging for her mercy. But I'm sure sifu would be well experienced not to go beyond what you can bare. when she is staisfied that you have learned the lesson on how to be an obidient student, she would bring out her kung fu and take great pleasure in training you the martial way. When her kung fu works you over and over again internally, you'll feel the chi build within you and acknowledge the power of sifu. Only when sifu is satisfied with your achievement during the class session would you be permitted to release your chi.

After such an exhausting session, you should thank sifu for her diligence and probably come back for more the next day.

guohuen
10-11-2002, 09:43 AM
It's called professionalism. If you wear a uniform, you wear the proper uniform. Try wearing whatever in the service and see how you fare. Wear those assinine chili pepper trousers and a baseball cap in my kitchen rather than houndstooth checks and a toque and see if I don't talk you like an ignorant dog. If your part of a team or class, you dress and act like the rest of the team or class. If you want to be an individual you do it on your own time.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-12-2002, 03:07 AM
guohuen:

From your perspective, you should subject yourself to be trained like sheep. Obviously all you'll need is to wear something practical, rembering that 13th c china didn't have Nike trainers like we do today.

If your sifu says otherwise, don't be frightened to tell him to "get with the times boy (you ignorant dog)".

Sui
10-12-2002, 05:33 AM
gentlemen,hahahaha

there are only uniforms in martial arts but in kung fu you are naked.:D

David Jamieson
10-12-2002, 06:51 AM
uniform is "standard dress". If you school has one, get that. If you want clothing to work out your kung fu in, then loose pants and a tee shirt are enough.

peace

Jables
10-12-2002, 07:04 AM
You sad, bitter, little man. You don't understand anything. As evidenced by your posts on 2 threads that I started. But that is really your strong suit. You post out of ignorance and try to hijack threads from their original intention. You have no proof, yet you continue to post this garbage that you call truth. Your inflamatory remarks about my Sifu are all proof of this. You know nothing. You have no skill. And you are nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

HuangKaiVun
10-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Just because sleeves are long doesn't mean that the uniform is "Northern" as opposed to "Southern".

Any REAL kung fu professional who actually trains at a high level would tell you that the art is in the person that practices it, not in the clothes he wears.

If your teacher allows you to be an individual in your dressing patterns, then go ahead and do as your teacher allows.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-12-2002, 10:39 PM
If a school insist on students wearing a uniform, it begs the question as to why we're training in clothes and shoes that we won't be fighting in - unless of course you wear that kung fu out fit in the streets.

Also rembering that professionalism is best practice as opposed to best dressed. Beginners like Jables have a lot to learn.

In the recent war in Afgan, the special forces from the US and UK dressed in a way to blend into the local surroundings. They may look scruffy but they are as ever bit as professional as soldiers can get. Uniforms or lack there of serve a purpose. If the school is truly intent on teaching combat techniques, there is no room for trival issues like who is not wearing "the traditional gear".

If your sifu is padentic about such things, you must question as to whether he / she has the right focus in mind?

NorthernMantis
10-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Those are formal clothes ego to honor the masters of the past and their customs as a chinese person you should know that.

GeneChing
10-14-2002, 09:19 AM
The wearing of a unifrom is largely symbolic, to show unity of the school and to provide a liminal state for the individual practitioner. By putting on your uniform, it signifies a transition into that special place - our martial arts practice. Here the rules change from our normal day-to-day life. We can punch and kick our friends and classmates with the knowledge that it is part of our mutual practice. Once we take off the uniforms, we return to our normal lives. Now surely there is some practicality to wearing street clothes every once in a while, just so you get the feel of it. But there more utility in wearing uniforms for the psycholoicgal role it serves.

And I generally consider my self a northern stylist, but will go sleeveless when it is hot enough.

UnknownAgent
10-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Wow I can't believe that guy's still around, and as bitter as a sour orange.

EGOS DEFLATE!!!

HuangKaiVun
10-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Beginner's mind is the ESSENCE OF MASTERY.

That's a heck of a compliment you gave Jables, Ego!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that his willingness to try new things is the example to which top-level martial artists should aspire.

I also agree with the questioning of things. Everything should be questioned.

Remember this, Ego. Every person has a lot to learn, but it's the INCOMPETENT who would use that to degrade others.

Keep that in mind.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-15-2002, 02:28 AM
Northernmantis:

Being chinese or not is irrelevant. Honoring dead masters is futile. You learn kung fu to stay alive not to honor the dead. Sifus who insist on adhering to tradition have in my opinion out lived their usefullness. BJJ has taughted us that one can learn to fight without the cultural baggage.

When you next go to your kung fu class, please demolish that g@d d@mn shrine and refocus yourself on the fighting techniques you're trying to achieve.

Geneching:

You're better off wearing protective gear instead of that silk uniform which will do a lot for you in hard sparring. And clicking your heels 3 times would also transport you to that special place!

HuangKaiVun:

I don't doubt that you can be a beginner and gain mastery over a wooden dummy in a sparring match.

Jables
10-15-2002, 06:41 AM
It's not your fault that you are so bitter and frustrated. You can't help but to act out against people you know are correct with your lies and ignorance. But as you are ignorant, you don't know any better, and therefore should be pitied rather than reviled. So go ahead Ego, you say whatever you feel like saying. It'll be all better after you say it and we'll all move on to real conversation after you've said whatever lie or ignorant statement that you've made. Much like the child who is ignored after an outburst. Go ahead and soak up the attention while you can during this outburst. That way the rest of the adults can continue their conversation.

GeneChing
10-15-2002, 09:01 AM
Actually I seldom wear silks, usually cotton or hemp. Now I prefer these - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/11kunfuunkun1.html .

But back to your initial intent, is it just about fighting for you then? Why wear protective gear if your that into it? I'm sure you can find a fight club and go for real. Or just go mix it up in a dive bar. That would certainly give you more credence then posting here on a web forum.:p

HuangKaiVun
10-15-2002, 10:56 AM
In fact, Ego, why don't you come and see ME?

Let's see how awful I really am.

Give me some contact information so that we can make this happen.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-16-2002, 05:49 AM
GeneChing

Same reason as why soldiers do not train by shooting each other with live rounds. does that answer your question?

Huangkaivun:

I don't doubt that you have mastered sparring against a wooden dummy. I think by now you'll be quite proficient at it.

HuangKaiVun
10-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Indeed I have.

Let me demonstrate on you - or the person of your choosing.

GeneChing
10-16-2002, 09:54 AM
Actually some wargames do use live rounds. But it's an interesting dichotomy for someone so fight orientated as you since I know plenty of bouncers, bikers and bangers who love to fight for real. They go looking for it. But despite your tough talk, you don't. Why not?

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-18-2002, 05:31 AM
GeneChing:

Yes you are absolutely correct. If you choose to play fight or fight for real, it is unlikely that wearing a kung fu uniform would make a difference to the outcome. It might for a dress up party, but i'm guessing you're not talking about dress up parties for a cultural fare or are you?

GeneChing
10-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't it be fun to bust some heads wearing one of these - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/product---index-11-15.html ? Making Bruce Lee sounds and stuff? Come on, we all dream of that. :p

And actually, for uniforms as casual wear, I am talking about parties. I don't generally dress up for any other reason. In fact, I'm scheduled to work at the Exotic Erotic this weekend, and I think I might wear the fine Chinese silk uniform the company gave me for our 10 Year Anniversary Benefit Gala. I think that's going to be my new party outfit, at least until it wears out.:cool:

David Jamieson
10-18-2002, 04:41 PM
not to mention nobody has mentioned Hung Kyun yet, or Hung kuen, or Hong quan :D

not all the same, especially the last one.

hee hee
peace

TenTigers
10-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Ego, you should train with Tommy Udo. I think all your questions would be answered. -if anyone knows whom I am referring to, please don't judge me by my tasteless humor. or as Sifu Randy Williams said, 'Fook'em if they can't take a jut"

iron thread
10-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Ego, I just want to make something clear.

"In fact, Ego, why don't you come and see ME?

Let's see how awful I really am.

Give me some contact information so that we can make this happen."

HungKaiVun intends to fight you.

"Huangkaivun:

I don't doubt that you have mastered sparring against a wooden dummy. I think by now you'll be quite proficient at it."

HuangKaiVun wants to fight you. You say he has, without a doubt, mastered sparring against a wooden dummy; with that said, you mean to incline his match--calling yourself a wooden dummy?

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-19-2002, 03:57 PM
Iron thread:

HuangKaiVun has callenged me to validate his kung fu that he had trained against a piece of wood. He also feels that sparring against a cripple is a good way of gauging the effectiveness of Nothern Kungfu. These are his views and I am not here to critize or condemn or support them.

I have said in another post that i accept his challenge but the losses to him might be far more than he can bare. I have not called myself a wooden dummy, but one who has lost the use of his legs in a car accident and sustained horiffic spinal injuries.

MonkeyBoy
10-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Actually I seldom wear silks, usually cotton or hemp.:p

Gene,

Where do you get your "hemp threads", so far I've only seen paper, sandals and grocery bags made of the stuff.

GeneChing
10-21-2002, 09:30 AM
China makes a lot of hemp products. It's a great fiber, strong yet soft, and abundant. And China will exploit any good resource, so they make a lot of good hemp stuff.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-23-2002, 07:09 AM
China has been known to exploit the poor. In historical days, farmers were tricked by southern kung fu players that iron shirt could stop bullets. Needless to say, many died in the opium war. Are you being exploited by unscrupulous sifus?

GeneChing
10-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Name a country that doesn't exploit the poor?

And you must be talking about the Boxer Uprising with your stopping bullets comment. That wasn't so much about poverty as it was about foreign invasion. And it wasn't kungfu masters as much as it was religious fanatics.

Geezer
10-23-2002, 11:01 AM
Ego worte>

In the recent war in Afgan, the special forces from the US and UK dressed in a way to blend into the local surroundings. They may look scruffy but they are as ever bit as professional as soldiers can get. Uniforms or lack there of serve a purpose. If the school is truly intent on teaching combat techniques, there is no room for trival issues like who is not wearing "the traditional gear".

I think you need to check the link,

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3199.html

psycho monk
10-23-2002, 01:46 PM
yeah its pretty much a matter of pronounciation but some people make a big deal about it when its not .

EXCUSE ME ,
Can you pass the Grey Poupon

diego
10-23-2002, 10:42 PM
China makes a lot of hemp products. It's a great fiber, strong yet soft, and abundant. And China will exploit any good resource, so they make a lot of good hemp stuff.

no-doubt on the exploit...it seems thier is many peeps in chinese towns, etc, who are akin to southern redneck hicks. I Watched a program on the black bear trade wich is illeggal. they said some **** where thier is ten thousand bears left in chinas wilds, and in thier underground zoos its estimated to be the same number!.

a euro-reporter swindled the farm runners to let him behind the scenes, as he told them he was a investor and not a reporter!...he brought a hidden camera, and the bear footage, as a vegan made me wish i could get my hands on these villagers, like keeping grown bears in cages akin to concentration camps since birth, and cutting thier i think usual lifespan of 30 to ten. i dont know about yall but i definatlly see personality within the animal kingdom, and these farm owners and they kids are looking at the bears like they are plastic...what they do is, stick a steel chute in thier gallbladder, and they leave it there!. So these bears are sitting in a cage-box no more then 4 ft tall, 4ft long, and say 2-3 ft wide...these bears are sitting there with a chute shanked into thier gallbladder, and this one old bear, had flys all over him, and the reporter looked at the chute & the bear couldnt laydown...at all, he could only slump over, because the area around the chute became swollen and infected!.

Now it showed footage of these bears in the wild climbing trees and living with they moms until two years old.
these fuqs have baby bears in cages until they die, and the reporter pointed out the bears showed serious signs of stircrazy, & this one bear was just flipping literally and mentally in his cage, when the reporter looked up close...like the look in his eye was a father killing his childs rapist, and this just bugged me out!.

now the bull**** behind the bull****...tourists from like taiwan come to these zoos, play around with the bears by poking and laughing outside the cage, then when they leave they go buy the gall bile sold at the freaking souvenir shop!.

its like i dont eat meat, with all these tasty tofu and soya products etc, i have no problem putting on wieght for training, i have a awesome libido, and these ****s want to drink the bears bile to basically up thier chi, and its like not only are they bringing to extinction whole populations, they are sadistically torturing them in the process of making a profit!.

Horriblle shamefull shiat...why dont these peeps get a steelchute up they ass, then we can sell they bile to peeps like'em...like what the **** the bear ever do to you!.

like some of them be eating cats and dogs, its like my kittens have so much personality and humanlike qualitys from my contacts, and these fucqs be looking at them like they are potato chips or some ****...that is just striaght up backward, and many peeps be needing to be brought into the 21st century, i dont care if eating dogs and tiger ***** is part of thier culture...its also part of arab cultures to enslave and rape 8 year old nigerian boys to this day, or force thier daughters to be circumsized...its part of the culture but is it Correct, or was it the pimp-priests who made it gods law!.

thiers my rant; feel much better then as i started to type:cool:

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Geezer,

Don't they look sharp in their uniform. The british with their stiff upper lip attitude have their way of doing things. I have seen enough pictures of US troops in Afgan to know how they blend in.

Geneching,

China institutionalizes exploitation. It has a terrible human rights record. Excution of prisioners without trial. Lots of shonksters teaching bad quality kung fu.

Diego,

what the hell are you going on about. You post about your poor old teddy bear fits better in children fary tales not on this forum. Then again you've never made much sense to you, must be the white crane in you talking (ie. bird brain).

GeneChing
10-24-2002, 09:28 AM
Diego: I am with you on that, brother! I'm support Asain Conservation Awareness Program along with Jackie Chan (check out www.wildaid.org .) I even did an article on Jackie's work for our old publication World of Martial Arts (see http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/wm-806.html .) Unfortunately, that was our Van Damme issue, one of our worst selling ever (go figure - that was back when I was still freelance.)

Ego: The U.S. has a terrible human right record too. And lots of shonksters teaching bad quality kungfu. Do you think there are more shonksters here or there?

Geezer
10-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Ego wrote>

Ego wrote>

Don't they look sharp in their uniform. The british with their stiff upper lip attitude have their way of doing things. I have seen enough pictures of US troops in Afgan to know how they blend in.

Obviously you have no idea what you're going on about, you jump from one thing to another but it all comes back to you baiting HuangKaiVun, you keep on telling him to fight you then come back and say he's going to beat up a cripple.
You need to seek help, holding in all that rage over what happened doesn't do anyone any good.:confused:
Makeing fun of people for what ever reason shows how little Kung fu you really Have/Know.:(

On the Military front , the British have a history of getting the job done, be it from a Stiff upper lip or Sharp Uniform, please if you're going to reference something do a little research.;)
I know for a fact you didn't check out the whole link I posted, because of the Sharp Looking Uniforms comment.;)

diego
10-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Diego: I am with you on that, brother! I'm support Asain Conservation Awareness Program along with Jackie Chan (check out www.wildaid.org .) I even did an article on Jackie's work for our old publication World of Martial Arts (see http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/wm-806.html .) Unfortunately, that was our Van Damme issue, one of our worst selling ever (go figure - that was back when I was still freelance.)

Hello Gene, i see it like this,...In whatever villages wich house these bears, it isnt illegal to house them as a zoo, but these F'n guys set up farms and front them like a zoo. Even small familys are doing this, like the reporter went to one village, and this family had a bear caged with a chute in its gall on thier freaking frontlawn!. they said we know it is illegal but everone does it!.

Now where i live, here in north vancouver, im about ten miles from a famous tourist attraction, grouse mountain - wich i think will be housing the 2004 or 06 winter olympics. This mountain has bear relocation programs set up...so its like these asss' are striaght up backward, i have relocate programs way up the street:) these fuq have milking cages on thier frontlawn:rolleyes: :mad:

and Ego you prolly look like this :p stuck on stupid with a chute in your butt, & that's why you don't care!.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Diego,

Even though you have a poor writing style, I'll take you up on the discussion about bears.

The bears provide a renewable resource like milk producing cows. This might be what it takes to stop them from becoming extinct. At least they aren't slaughtered for their fur of other body parts.

They can be milked for their bile every day and the profit earned from selling this to tourist can be used to keep their cages clean and the bears alive.

In this way it is good for everyone and also the bears.

diego
10-25-2002, 03:02 PM
At least they aren't slaughtered for their fur of other body parts.

Seems youknow writa so good, not either:p

well they are not bieng killed for fur, so if they didnt go at them for bile, they would be left alone, so once agian in the history of chatting with you since i signed up to kfo two years ago...your post has tints of retardation!. ;)
Cheers

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Diego,

Humans occupy about 83% of the plant's habitable surface. Encrochment into the natural habitat of many specises intentional or unintentional has been well documented. You need not have to slaughter a specise for their body parts to drive it to extinction.

As long as humans can find a profitable use for an animal as a renewable resource, there is a better chance of keeping that specise alive- no matter how demeaning or torturos that form may be.

diego
10-25-2002, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the history lesson!.
if you reread my first post, it states...Thier is ten thousand left in the wild, and its estimated thier is ten thousand bieng farmed...soon thier will be none left in the wild, and how does bieng held as a slave make one like you think, well at least they are not bieng driven to extinction...so if i treat you like a biatch, you will deem it acceptable, because i didnt kill you

:p

YALL HEAR THAT, EGO WILL LET US SHIAT ON HIM, AND HE WONT HAVE ILL FEELINGS TOWARD THIS AT ALL, AS LONG AS WE DONT KILL HIM RIGHT AWAY...if the diseases from captivity kill him first he wont mind, because at least his little species was aloud to open its eyes!.

Seriously though ego, bieng in captivity like they are, they are no longer bears, as most of them are in there since birth, so they dont have any bear skills, etcetc!. Basically what are you saying?.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-26-2002, 07:29 AM
Diego,

For your benefit, do read about the Bangol tigers held in capitivity in India. Far from beibg diseased riddened cats, they've never had it better. Fed on a hearty diet of meat, they've become chubby cats who do nothing but sleep unless they hear the bell which means feeding time.

visitors at the zoo did complain that the cats looked rather inactive. Instead of chasing prey, they prefer to bask in the sun, soak up the rays and take an ocasional swim in the moat.

No more hunger, diseases and dental hygine are handled by vets. get the drift. Slavery is not that bad when your masters provide everything for you!

guohuen
10-26-2002, 10:26 AM
Well said Mr. Himmler!:rolleyes:

desertwingchun2
10-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Ego - What is wrong with you ??? You have to get some sick satisfaction from posting the things you do. Most of your posts must be sarcastic in origin. Please do everyone a favor and post on another forum far far away from here. Qi Gong Kung Fu Magazine is too prestigeous of a publication to have the likes of you here spewing your sick and twisted views. You offfer no one here respect nor do you offer any information that enlightens anybody to anything other than the fact that you are a self depricating j3rk off that hates the world !!

Seek help from a proffesional. I'm going to ignore any reply and all your future post. Hopefully the KFO family will do the same and you will disappear.

Wheel yourself outside and breathe some fresh air. Or better yet take yourself on a long wheel down a short pier.

-David

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-26-2002, 09:06 PM
desertwingchun:

A better question should be what's wrong with wingchun, having been creamed by boxers and in UFC matches. If you find my post so unplesent, I don't care if you ignore them out of your own ignorence. For your information I was talking to Diego about the state of the world's wildlife which is a very noble thing to do.

TenTigers
10-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Ego, just out of curiosity, for how long did you study Hung-Ga, and Wing Chun. You seem to claim some sort of experience. Is this true? What forms have you learned? I will not ask under whom, it doesn't matter. I was just curious as to what you are basing these opinions on.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Tentigers,

Appreciate your enquiries. These are frequent questions that people have asked me. I could give you the number of years I have trained in Hung Gar and the number of forms learned, but to me that tells me nothing.

As a rule of thumb, if you train diligently in a style and if that style is worth its salt and if that teaching is geared towards self defence, you'll not need more than 2 years to be quite proficient, 4 years to be extremely good and anything more, you should be able to take down most instructors from other schools with ease.

The number of forms, it depends on what each form intends to cover. It is unnecessary to have the forms coving all the possible combinations. Just the concepts and the students should be able to work out the rest.

I hope this answers your questions.

GeneChing
10-28-2002, 10:31 AM
He's hilarious. :p And what would the point of a forum be without a few trolls.

“I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.” Voltaire
As long as it's not pornographic, this is a family show...

TenTigers
10-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Ego..um, no. You danced around the question, but did not answer it. So, nice and clear for those in the cheap seats, "What forms, How long?" plain and simple. I am not debating the fact that certain levels of skill can be developed in time, or can't', I just would like to know from where you draw your conclusions. Real experience, real teachers, videos, sitting in on a class or two, or dabbling, or total imersion in a system. It is one thing to troll, and play devil's advocate, or just amuse oneself, quite another to actually have a meaningful discusssion, and an exchange of ideas, no matter how unorthodox they might be.
Frankly, I enjoy upsetting the applecart, debunking myths, and bursting bubbles-if it leads to greater understanding, not just to be obnoxious. BUT...simply being obnoxious has its merits too!;-)

Geezer
10-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Tentigers wrote,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ego, just out of curiosity, for how long did you study Hung-Ga, and Wing Chun. You seem to claim some sort of experience. Is this true? What forms have you learned? I will not ask under whom, it doesn't matter. I was just curious as to what you are basing these opinions on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ego wrote,
quote:
As a rule of thumb, if you train diligently in a style and if that style is worth its salt and if that teaching is geared towards self defence, you'll not need more than 2 years to be quite proficient, 4 years to be extremely good and anything more, you should be able to take down most instructors from other schools with ease.

Ego wrote,
quote:
The number of forms, it depends on what each form intends to cover. It is unnecessary to have the forms coving all the possible combinations. Just the concepts and the students should be able to work out the rest.

Ego wrote,

quote:
I hope this answers your questions.

Ego, how far did you make in your WCK training SLT, CK, BJ, answering this directly would be better for me to understand where you're coming from.????????

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-30-2002, 05:36 AM
Geezer:

As you know, I could go on at length about my kung fu training before my car accident but I am not some one who would blow my own horn.

The point here is I am now a cripple in a wheel chair - can you visualize that in your mind right now? a cripple sitting in a wheel chair. If you can, now picture this, an instructor who has opened a new kung fu school in Arizona and who claims to have trained in Hung gar and other styles comes to me, to challenge, one on one in a hand to hand sparring match to test his skills. A kung fu instructor asking for a cripple for a kung fu lesson!

Now I ask you this, if what I have been saying on the forum so far had not reached so deep and so directly into the heart of what kung fu is all about, then why, my friend, why would I be issued this challenge?

Now let me ask you this, what the fcuk do you mean by, "where you're coming from?" are you trying to be a troll? because no one I mean no one, not even a 4'5'' midgit has underestimated my prowess in kung fu.

Now let me tell you this, the vast majority of the people on this forum understand what I'm saying and the vast majority want to see this match take place. So don't try to be funny by being a troll. we all hate trolls.

Now understand this, that midgit has done nothing but back out from his own challenge time and again. If he doesn't confirm a time for us to appear on national television for the sparring match in 3 days from now, he'll have proven that he's nothing more than a pensioner doing the chicken dance.

Geezer
10-30-2002, 06:28 AM
Ego Wrote,

Now let me ask you this, what the fcuk do you mean by, "where you're coming from?" are you trying to be a troll? because no one I mean no one, not even a 4'5'' midgit has underestimated my prowess in kung fu.

Now let me tell you this, the vast majority of the people on this forum understand what I'm saying and the vast majority want to see this match take place. So don't try to be funny by being a troll. we all hate trolls.

Now understand this, that midgit has done nothing but back out from his own challenge time and again. If he doesn't confirm a time for us to appear on national television for the sparring match in 3 days from now, he'll have proven that he's nothing more than a pensioner doing the chicken dance.

Geezer Wrote,

Ego, how far did you make in your WCK training SLT, CK, BJ, answering this directly would be better for me to understand where you're coming from.????????

Did you find the question that confusing?, I asked where you had made it to in your WCK SLT, CK or BJ, please answer the simple question.

You found offence in this "answering this directly would be better for me to understand where you're coming from".
If that is the case let me ask you again, What Stage Had You Made It To In You're WCK SLT, CK Or BJ???????????

Please don't change the subject because I care only for an answer to my question, nothing more, nothing less.!!!!!!!!

Grays Anatomy
10-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Ego - the real problem here is that no one has any clue if you are full of BS or not. We are asking you to "blow your own horn". We won't mind.

Anyone can sit at home and claim that this art is worthless and that art is worthless. What everyone is interested in understanding is where does your knowledge come from.

You make a lot of claims about several arts being poor arts. You tell beginners to not waste their time on them.

Ok - why?

Is Hung Ga(r) a slow, rooted art? You seem to think so. Ok - fine - why do you beleive this? Did you study the art and find it to be slow? Did you fight a Hung Ga(r) practitioner and beat him/her? How 'bout any of the other claims you have made? Maybe you do have a lot to contribute to my understanding of Martial Arts. Maybe you will start me thinking about what to study and why BUT unless you can back up your claims (using Hung Ga(r) as an example) your words are meaningless to me. Without some kind of substantiation - you are doing nothing but flaming something you may or may not know a thing about.

Hiding behind your disability simply does nothing to help anyone. Consider me a beginner and explain to me why you think the Southern arts are no good. If I came to you and told you I found a Hung Ga(r) Sifu and wanted to study under him. What would you tell me besides "don't waste your time"?

Also - what is wrong with the challenge fight? Your supposed "opponent" offered to get into a chair just like you are and fight that way. Bringing you both to equal ground. Is there something wrong with that? I know a Sifu who spent all of his time teaching students in similar situations. His people were pretty good fighters. If the knowledge you posess is so much superior to what others has - why can't you defend yourself?

Mind - this isn't a flame of any kind. I can imagine a whole lot of beginners reading posts - looking for information and being misled. If you really are an experienced martial artist - say so. Tell us how long you trained prior to your accident and tell us why, just because you are in a wheel chair you still can't train.

TenTigers
10-30-2002, 06:18 PM
ok, so tell us about your experience before your accident. I still need to understand how you came upon these assumptions. So far you are still dancing. You haven't answered the other poster about your winc chun experience or mine about your Hung=Ga. We're waiting....waiting.....still waiting....

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-31-2002, 06:22 AM
Tentigers,

I used to train various southern styles and felt like I was getting nowhere. I took part in the forms, the static stance training, lion dance and rituals that go with the southern training. I thought to myself, I'm interested in self defence not this periferial activities. I asked the seniors why we're doing all this, they couldn't answer except that it is part of tradition and it is what the sifu did when he was a student and this is what sifu is now teaching the student. I left.

So I decided to try out northern kung fu that seemed to make sense from a self defence point of view. Learned from a number of schools and over the course of 2 yrs or so, I crossed trained in some of the more main stream systems from the North. such as Tai chi, Hsing I and mantis. I was itching to try out what I had learned. I felt that the theories seemed sound and I was progressing averagly in class.

I went back to the old southern schools I trained with and my old friends were quite pleased to see me in class. I sparred with them and it showed that I had progressed a long way compared to the time they trained in these southern styles. Over the course of 3,4,6 years, I countined to go back and finally defeated the senior students and then the instructors.

In my years of training I have great respect for the people who do BJJ. Western boxers are extremely strong if you play their game. Wing chun is a total waste of time and Hung gar well you know what I think.

If I have my legs back and can do it all over again, I'll train in BJJ for a number of years it teaches great body movement that is quite consistent with northern systems.

This is probably the most boring piece I have written, but it seems to me that is what you're interested to hear from me.

Geezer
10-31-2002, 06:34 AM
Ego Wrote>

Wing chun is a total waste of time and Hung gar well you know what I think.

Geezer Wrote>

Did you find the question that confusing?, I asked where you had made it to in your WCK SLT, CK or BJ, please answer the simple question.

Geezer Wrote>

Please don't change the subject because I care only for an answer to my question, nothing more, nothing less.!!!!!!!!

Ego where did you make it in your Wing Chun Kuen Training SLT, CK or BJ, are you finding it that hard to answer this question.:confused:
You seem to write allot about nothing, it would only take a few words to answer this question that you seem to find so hard, you would say so much with so little???????????? :confused:

Grays Anatomy
10-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Thanx - that is actually an interesting story. I am sorry to hear the the southern schools you studied in didn't have better teachers.

I actually went through the opposite of what you did. I trained for almost 6 years in a Northern school. I thought I was a pretty good martial artist and that I could really handle myself. Life got in the way, then I moved and so I wound up taking about 5 years off from "formal" training (though I kept up a lot of what I had learned). When I got back into it I found a Southern school and quickly realized that my Northern training was like Nursery School compared to the Graduate School I was in now. I am FAR more knowledgeable and a far better fighter than I ever was before.

I have gone back and crossed hands with some of the students in my old school and I found that I am a far better fighter than they are (remember - they should have almost 5 years of training over me since I took that time off).

I suppose one of the things that burns people here are the general statements people make. I have found (as I said) the exact opposite of what you did. Do I think that the northern arts are useless because of that? Absolutley not. It simply didn't work for me.

My old Sifu is a good martial artist - he just isn't a fighter and doesn't train fighters.

p.s. I had used my training (once) while at my old school. It DID work for me - on the street. The art IS effective. Its just that now - I would put practitioners from my new school over the ones from my old on the street - any day.

Ego_Extrodinaire
11-01-2002, 04:36 AM
Grays Anatomy:

"My old Sifu is a good martial artist - he just isn't a fighter and doesn't train fighters."

Then what's the point of teaching kung fu or learning from that sifu who's obviously more interested in retiring! You have to compare like with like and as said in my previous post, I exclude those schools that are not self defence focused.

I didn't just go back to my old school to test my hand. But travelled to enough schools to know the the outcome had a lot to do with the differnces in northern and southern style.

More importantly, I can't understand the bikering that goes on between branches of Hung Gar or between styles like Hung Gar and Lau Gar and Mok Gar. They may have different forms, different names for techniques etc. but they all move the same way.

Did you do the same and test your southern hand against many branches of northern kung fu?

Grays Anatomy
11-01-2002, 06:16 AM
Openly I admit that No - I did not test myself against MANY other Northern schools (certainly not the way it seems you did). I have fought in tourney (no - not the same as the street but SOMETHING) and have done quite well against various styles. I have crossed hands with friends (from both Northern and Southern teachers) and again - I have done quite well. All in all (off the top of my head) - maybe 2 or 3 different northern styles, at least as many southern and one Korean (between friends and tourney). Is that enough for me to form an opinion? Well - since I did as well as I hoped (and often surprisingly better) I would say I am happy with what I am doing, it works for me and I am definitely staying.

I feel a greater sense of power from my current training. I move faster than I ever did before and fight much more agressively than ever.

Again - it seems you and I have travelled some of the same road and came away with two opposite opinions.

As far as the "point" of my old teacher teaching what he does the way he does - well - he gets from it what he wants (as do his students) so who am I to tell him not to? I found it wasn't what I wanted so I moved on.

WRT the bickering...hey - you and I know that if there are three people in a room you will get four opinions so - let them bicker. Did the bickering affect you so much that it was even worth the effort to type those words?

Ego_Extrodinaire
11-02-2002, 04:49 AM
Grays,

You're taking the right path as there are many others who are discouraged by their sifus in southern styles to cross train. Where your road leads who's to know but it should be an interesting one.

I agree prospective students should find out about what the school is trying to accomplish and sifus should interview students if the school could provide what they one. It seems that you had the unfortunate incident of joining up somthing that didn't measure up to your expectations at the beginning.

I've been quite entertained by the bikering. Just like comedy, humor is not something that needs to be understood, just sit back an enjoy the show.

TenTigers
11-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Ego, I am not one to put down another instructor (yeah, right) but it seems that you misjudged Hung-Ga and Wing Chun. One of my former Sifus once said, "There are only two types of Wing Chun-good wing chun and bad wing chun" same applies to Hung Ga or any other art. Trust me, there are Puh-lenty of poor instructors out there who only know a smattering of Gung-Fu, or just forms, and drills. In my school, we train a heckuva lot of hands on self-defense, sparring , both with and without gear-with hard contact, besides forms and Lion dancing. Alan Lee's wing chun school is the school of hard knocks, as is Duncan Leong's. Yee's Hung-Ga schools love to fight and are constantly in the winner;s circle. So, is it your teacher, or is it you? Sometimes, the student isn't ready to accept what the teacher has to offer, or hasn't reached a level where he can be taught. or perhaps you did not end up in a quality school. So far from your posts, who can tell?

Lowlynobody
11-03-2002, 02:29 AM
Ego - What is your opinion of Bak Mei?

HuangKaiVun
11-03-2002, 01:15 PM
I'll tell you what his opinion of Bak Mei is.

He thinks that they can't fight and that they'll get their butts handed to them by "any Northern Style instructor in Taiwan".

Similarly, he has a low opinion of not just TenTiger, but the famed Yee's Hung Ga Academy. After all, Ego insists that any TKD man could beat any Hung Ga man.

Ego, you live in New Jersey. Why don't you go to NYC and set up a fight over there?

There are many Southern stylists who'd call you on your flames . . . try THEIR hands or find somebody to do it for you.

Lowlynobody
11-03-2002, 09:48 PM
I should have expected that. He's realy gotten to you hasn't he?

Serpent
11-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Huang, read this very carefully.

Ego is a troll.

He does not live in New Jersey.

He is not wheelchair bound.

His real name is Kelvin Chan.

He lives in an outer suburb of Sydney Australia.

He is a tool.

He has a face like a dropped pie.

His kung fu sucks.

All of this is well documented in these very forums, yet you still refuse to believe it. You do realise that all this makes you the idiot, not him, right?

You're an idiot.

Ego_Extrodinaire
11-04-2002, 06:46 AM
Tentigers:

I agree there is good hunggar and there is bad hung gar. Good hung gar is not hung gar at all. How good is a fighting style could it be if the masters hid away in boats and trained with fake waepons for floor shows.

Wing chun school of hard knocks resulted from the stuffing being beaten out of them.

Huangkaivun:

You are learning fast. Bak Mei has been closed door for way too long while the word has gone on to more powerful things like BJJ. If you use Bak Mei against BJJ your fate is sealed.

Serpent:

No. and Huang is not a fool. He has summoned up the courage to face me. To redeem his pride and the reputation of his school. He is also a publicity hound.

Lowlynobody
11-04-2002, 07:16 AM
So what suburb of Sydney do you live in Ego?

friday
11-04-2002, 07:45 AM
hi lowly nobody :)

here is his website if u want to take a look. u can see his pics of him doing some of his tong long quan. :)

http://www.geocities.com/goktimus/

Ego,
no need to thank me ;). i think your website deserves a new promotion. We have a whole new batch of people wanting to know all about u....besides...i won't see it anyway :)

I'm Goktimus's new PR man :) if u want an appearance at your local shopping centre, zoo or ...dance party just let us know.

cha kuen
11-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Hung Gar and Hung Ga are the same thing, different spelling. In chinese they just refer to the style as "Hung Kuen"

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Jables
11-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cha kuen
Hung Gar and Hung Ga are the same thing, different spelling. In chinese they just refer to the style as "Hung Kuen"

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Thank you Cha Kuen. We actually covered that within the first 3 posts. Gene Ching was kind enough to explain it as a translation difference. But then, we had this p!ssing contest for 2 different threads and many many pages.

Sad really.

Lowlynobody
11-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Hey Firday, cheers for that!

:)

Hey Ego I looked down the bottom of your page and, would you beleive it!? There is a link to Hung Ga! Maintained by your good friend none the less :p

And look a martial arts discussion board with rules like -
Please exercise common sense and general courtesy
No threats, insults, flames or harassing messages to be posted

Ok I'll stop now :D

Ego_Extrodinaire
11-05-2002, 02:56 AM
Lowlynobody

"Hey Ego I looked down the bottom of your page and, would you beleive it!? There is a link to Hung Ga! Maintained by your good friend none the less"

OMG If I had a webpage could I have made such a gross error such as linking to a Hung Gar webpage? I thank the southern kung fu guy who sacrificed himself to pose for those photos in the name of Kelvin Chan for the rest of the community to persicute. Go on persicute him like you do with HuangKaiVun.

If you need to find a "witch to burn", Kelvin is probably as good a witch as any now that HuangKaiVun has been burn by you to a crisp.

Just thank me that I have brought the ego maximus out of you, like what has been done to HuangKaiVun.

Lowlynobody
11-05-2002, 03:22 AM
You can take the man out of Goktimus but you can't take the Goktimus out of the man.