PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Forum FAQ

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
10-10-2002, 12:30 PM
All,
Considering the amount of traffic our forum gets these days, as well as the number of long time forum participants, it seems to me that new members would greatly benefit from the existance of a FAQ (frequently asked questions) document. As such I've decided to put one together, and once it has been completed it can remain as a sticky at the top of the forum for new members to read. This should help us from going over alot of old ground again and again(ie: "hey, what's up with W. Cheung & E. Boztepe? do they not get along or something?!?!").

As such, I am now soliciting entries for the FAQ. Once we have a pretty comprehensive list of questions, we can discuss specific answers, and review/revise the FAQ until we are happy with it. As such, please send any questions/answers/comments/suggestions/maudit poutine recipies/ etc. to the following email addresss:

wcfaq@hotmail.com

Everyone's participation is welcome, and greatly appreciated!

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
10-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, it's been several days now since I originally posted this topic, and I have to admit that i'm amazed at the absolute lack of response on this one. Not only have there been no emailed suggestions, no one has even bothered to reply to this posting. That's pretty astounding when you consider how opinionated people on this forum normally are.

Given this, does everyone feel that a FAQ isn't really needed here? Or are people just not interesed in participating? Let me know what you think about all this, if nobody thinks we need one then there's no reason to bother with it.

BTW, I "stuck" the post at the top so everyone could get a chance to see it, but it's not locked to replys.....

anerlich
10-14-2002, 05:26 PM
You got mail.

yuanfen
10-14-2002, 05:44 PM
from here too at hot mail address

yenhoi
10-15-2002, 07:03 AM
does this mean whipping hand is unbanned?

reneritchie
10-15-2002, 07:53 AM
I nominate Dzu!

(er... sorry, wrong list...)

Great idea. Don't forget:

- What's the difference between WC, VT, WT, etc.

Miles Teg
10-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Awesome idea

Yeah, I cant think of anything but the Emin Wililiam thing and the `whats the difference between WT, WC, VT` is a good start.

Mckind13
10-16-2002, 07:57 PM
:D Rene leave Dzu out of this!

We know your sand baging, you work, you write you train 169 hours a week and you don't have time for a FAQ!

Puleaaase!

Well gotta run :P

Whens the next Friendship seminar:confused:

tnwingtsun
10-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Maybe you can get Gene-Gene-The-Kung-Fu-Machine to put the FAQ for new members to go through before their memberships are accepted.

David Jamieson
10-20-2002, 08:07 AM
why have a faq? The forum is dynamic and ever changing in content.

newbies will always have questions from neophyte to advanced levels.
The forum rules and regs are already available through the link at the bottom.

with all the discourse and disagreement amongst chinese martial artists in general, who's to say the faq would not contain erroneous information?

every faq I've seen on kungfu always contains information that can be argued aainst depending on ones pov.

besides, it's a forum, the nature of which is to discuss. :)

peace

yuanfen
10-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Kung lek: One brief for a FAQ is that sometimes the same question comes up again and again. Why does so and so stand on his head. What are the main forms of wing chun etc. It would be easier for people specially newbies to develop some tacit knowledge of the subject or people can be quickly referred to the FAQ. Ofcourse people can question the FAQ but it could also make the discussion better. And trolls could also be referred to the faq. This part of the forum is devoted to one style wing chun.
A different context than the southern forum or the shaolin forum
involving multiple styles where the FAQS could become unwieldy..

cobra
10-20-2002, 05:59 PM
I get a kick out of reading the same **** every day here, it almost reminds me of ALL the martial arts magazines.

Can anyone tell me about the Boztepe / Cheung fight? :D

anerlich
10-20-2002, 09:02 PM
The Underground Forum has the concept of archived threads, which in many ways take the place of a FAQ and allow different POV's to be accounted for. And ensures worthwhile threads don't disappear.

Then again, this forum has the "poll" facility, so the user base as a whole can decide whether they want a FAQ, archived threads, something else or nothing!

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
10-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Well, I'm going to go ahead and unstick this thread, since I figure everyone had had a chance to look at it. I'll post more info once I get some things together. Thanks to everyone who has opted to help with this!

IronFist
11-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Q. Where is the best place to get a dummy

A. If you don't want to pay $800 for one, check IronFist's page.

:D :D :D

IronFist