PDA

View Full Version : Are you curious?

Martial Joe
10-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Everyonce in awhile do you just want to fight and see where your at?

gazza99
10-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Absolutely, but I dont want to be responsible afterwards...either morally or legally.

Gary

White Minority
10-10-2002, 07:22 PM
I don't ever have that feeling. But that's probably becuase I spar full contact at least once a week.

I never want to test myself in a street situation. No desire to do that.

Mr Punch
10-10-2002, 07:30 PM
No.

Been in street situations and bar situations, and even nutters in my home...

Life's always been far too interesting for me!

There are too many hidden variables in most real situations to make it an interesting/valuable test of just my fighting skills. Haven't had a good (oops, I mean serious) altercation for a good while and want to keep it that way.

Plus, I haven't had one since my kungfu got dangerous enough to do irrepairable damage, and I'm not sure where my control is in an uncontrolled situation. I'm not risking doing time for any punk!

shaolinboxer
10-11-2002, 09:25 AM
For me that would be a much to simple form of evaluation. But it certianly has some value.

GeneChing
10-11-2002, 09:35 AM
I did a lot of crisis intervention which involved a lot of hands on restraint. It was a good test then. Enough action came my way to have a realistic perspective of the stakes and odds on the street. Even the best figther can be sucker punched on the street, so it's not as much a test of your skills as it is a test of your chances. So I'd say I'm curious in the same way that I'm curious if I'll win at blackjack.

eulerfan
10-11-2002, 11:37 AM
I've never been in a fight. The longer I study MA, the more I want to do it. Just once. Just to know what it's like. Even if I lose. I just want to know.

FatherDog
10-12-2002, 02:04 AM
I'm always curious. No matter what area of endeavor it is, I've always been curious as to how I rank compared to the people around me. It's not (always) a competitive thing; often I'm quite content to be second (or third, or fifth, or 80th) but I want to <i>know</i> I'm first (or third, or 80th). I like testing myself.

That said, I haven't been in a real fight since years before I started training martial arts. I live in a small town and I work in Princeton, which isn't exactly a hotbed of crime and roughhousing. I don't intend on provoking any fights, because it could cause serious social repercussions for me. So, in order to test myself, I'm training to eventually compete in tournaments.

Is a tournament a perfect representation of the street? Of course not. But as a flat venue, it can let you test your skills, and enjoy putting them to good use without the stress of wondering if the other guy has a knife, or if you'll be in jail when the night is over.

Martial Joe
10-12-2002, 01:40 PM
I have been in a couple fights and was beaten once and the other was broken up.

After that loss I had I learned alot more about fighting.

That was alittle less then a year ago and now im starting to get the feeling again.

The thing is I never get angry at people so...

I guess ill find a gym and go fight there.

LEGEND
10-13-2002, 06:01 PM
Only against peeps smaller than me!

qeySuS
10-13-2002, 06:21 PM
know what you mean Joe, i get that feeling from time to time, maybe it's because i've never been in a fight, if i get into a situation where something might happen, i usually just stand my ground, but i'm pollite and try to diffuse the situation. ANd until now it's worked.

Xebsball
10-13-2002, 10:20 PM
I dont get that feeling... i think.

joedoe
10-13-2002, 10:57 PM
I am a coward. I never get the feeling to fight. I generally curl up into a ball and cry like a baby.

SanSoo Student
10-13-2002, 11:13 PM
I like to fight....
WITH MY SHADOW!!!
But it beats me everytime