PDA

View Full Version : Real SEAL or not?

chyisan
10-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Alright. There's this guy I know that claims he was a Navy SEAL. I'm having a hard time believing that though. Is there anyway to verify it?

joedoe
10-10-2002, 09:37 PM
In the movies, they always have a tatoo or something. Look for one of those :).

I read in a book by Andy McNab (ex-British SAS) that usually the real special forces guys don't advertise it.

Chang Style Novice
10-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Look between his fingers and toes. If they're webbed, that's a strong sign. Also see if he can balance a beachball on his nose.

PHILBERT
10-10-2002, 09:42 PM
There's a website somewhere that shows fake S.E.A.L.s, e-mail them (someone will post it here sooner or later) and they can verify. Usually someone who claims to be one is fake. Ask them there team number, there graduation number too.

KrAzy FiLiPino
10-10-2002, 09:53 PM
http://www.authentiseal.org/index.htm

ewallace
10-11-2002, 06:13 AM
Ask to see his Trident. Also ask what B.U.D.S. class he graduated from, and where he was stationed. It's either Norfolk or Coronado...unless he was in a devgroup and he would be out of the pentagon.

Definitely use that site to check it out.

If he is 5' 4" and weighs 275 then my magic eightball says signs point to no.

Be respectful about it. Most SEALs will not just come out and tell you they are a SEAL for no reason. Usually they will say something like "I'm in the Navy". If you ask what they do in the Navy you'll probably get a response like "I'm with the teams" or "I swim alot". This doesn't apply to everyone but probably the majority.

IronFist
10-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Ask him if he knows the S.C.A.R.S. program. If he says yes, kick him in the balls and be like "didn't see that coming, did you, *****?!"

IronFist

Waidan
10-11-2002, 10:48 AM
You could ask him info about BUDS, his team, etc. but realize that if you don't know the answers, you have little chance of avoiding a snowjob. (insert joke here).

If it's important to you, educate yourself on the topic. Also, you may want to run any answers you get from the guy by "frogman" in the Navy SEAL forum on www.tacticalforums.com . A few active SEAL team members post there.

African Tiger
10-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Actually SEALS love to tell people that they are Seal Team Members. It's so they can continue to lie and say they were the innovators of small team, commando-style combat! :) After all, that was the Marine Raiders...

But seriously folks, nothing but professional rivalry there. My new stunt company was founded by a former SEAL, who actually served with me in Desert Storm (didn't know it at the time), and had the opportunity to save a bunch of Marines from getting killed by a gas attack while in Iraq.

It's those army geeks I can't stand :D

cagey_vet
10-11-2002, 12:11 PM
i live in the pacific beach area of a southern california city...
and it seems like EVERY NAVY GUY in EVERY BAR is a SEAL...
i guess it helps meeting women when ya say that, eh?

ewallace
10-11-2002, 12:16 PM
That's too bad CV. I was down at P.B. a month ago. Coulda had a beer.

tnwingtsun
10-11-2002, 07:49 PM
"I read in a book by Andy McNab (ex-British SAS)"

Andy McNab(not his real name) is still active.

They made a movie from the book,has anyone seen it?

David Jamieson
10-12-2002, 08:42 AM
ask to see his discharge cert.

peace

guohuen
10-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Hey hey hey African Tiger. I seem to remember Marines not caring if it were a medic or a corpsman that showed up when they were wounded. Ya'll do have a nasty habit of calling for corpsman and I just hate answering to a wrong name. Showed up anyway.

Rangers lead the way.