PDA

View Full Version : Relatively urgent: lung chigung.

Mr Punch
10-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know any chigung which are particularly useful for the lung meridians?

I still practise my chigung sets, but as I don't have a teacher right now, I can't remember which are for which organs/meridians.

I'd appreciate simple descriptions/links, as there are so many different terms in internals, and I can't even remember the names of the movements I do...!

I need to know because a good friend of mine has bad asthma which is possibly developing some kind of complications, and I want to give him some lung-strengthening and settling chigung to help him stop smoking immediately (I know, I know! :rolleyes: I keep telling him!)!

Of course, he has been to the quacks, but finding a good doctor over here is like find a good cook or dentist in England, or a healthy thin person in the US! :D

SaMantis
10-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Don't know ... are the lungs a meridian in themselves, or are they part of an organ system (i.e., liver, kidney, heart, spleen sections)?

Basic breathing exercises done gently, concentrating on breathing down to the dan tien area (using the diaphram rather than breathing high up in the lungs). Even just 5-10 minutes a day of any gentle chi kung will have a positive effect. Tell him to do the exercises in a sunny spot where there's fresh air (but not cold/damp air).

As far as the right chi gung movement ... I do 8-section brocade in the mornings but there are more targeted exercises out there ... anyone else know?

:)

Former castleva
10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Here´s one site:
http://www.shouyuliang.com/newsletter/v2n2/v2n2a2.shtml
(lung-related) make your own decisions about it.
BTW,I do eight brocades too,it is one good qi-gong which deals with various organs (as any good qi-gong should,I believe)

Besides that,he should really stop smoking as he is inviting destruction.I have asthma,so I´ve been there and I´m lucky to not smoke.
Besides that,if he is into qi-gong etc. lifestyle related activity,he should stop anyway,they don´t mix too well.

azwingchun
10-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know any sites for this, but do you know the 5-elements chi gung set. I know there are a few variations, maybe you can find a set on the interenet.;)

Mr Punch
10-12-2002, 12:14 AM
Thanks Castleva. I'll check that site out later when I've got time.

I know he should stop smoking! That's what I said! He does too, but that's the nature of the weed I'm afraid... He isn't into chigung yet, but as I'm living in his apartment for the next couple of weeks and his health is terrible, he will be very soon whether he likes it or not!

Mantis, as I remember my teaching, each of the major organs have a meridian directly associated to them. In some systems this is eight I think, in others twelve. And some systems have minor organ meridians too...

I do the two of the many many versions of the eight silk brocade. One is a soft one taught to me in Yang Tai Chi, the other a very hard one from a Tibetan monk style, which I wouldn't teach to a beginner.

AZWC, is this the same as 'the 5 hand chigung' would you know? It's a stationary set in horse stance, also taught in Yang Tai Chi...?

I know the 5 and 6 hand chigung from Yang.

OK, change the perspective on my question a little...

All of the sets are supposed to stimulate/balance the meridians' energy and return the body to some kind of equilibrium. Would a little bit of over-emphasis on one position (ie. the one beneficial to the lung meridian specifically being held for twice as long or repeated one extra time... etc) cause undue stress on that part of the body, or undue deficiency in any other part?

azwingchun
10-12-2002, 12:58 AM
It could be the same thing, since I learned it while training Yang style Tai Chi, though He also showed us a more complex version of 5-element qi gung set. This one was actually more involved, you weren't just standing there, there was actually squatting, bending and the hand movements were more complex. I didn't completely learn it, we only did it once, though I have copies of the hand-out he gave us. My teacher said that this longer set was much stronger as far as health goes.;)

azwingchun
10-12-2002, 01:00 AM
By the way there is also meridian breathing qi gung which he also showed us. That one is pretty interesting. Though, you have to know the path of the meridians to do it.;)

ZIM
10-12-2002, 06:42 AM
If he is not ready to quit, he will not. He could quit for the duration of your visit, however.

In TCM, smoking is labeled as a 'hot, dry, fire' influence. Examining it in isolation to the rest of his life is counterproductive. asthma is part of it and needs to be treated too.

To counter the effects of smoking he needs to quit then increase 'cool, moist, water' influences. this means being calm, relaxed, drinking water, drawing cool air on the lungs. If you can get to a cool beach that is the place to inhale during qiqong. Some herbs may help, especially valerian root teas (a calmative) and red clover teas (and blood purifier) and coltsfoot (a smoke substitute, if he wants that).

acupuncture may help. after a balancing session, the rest is done. The point in question is locasted on the ear above the lobe. stick you r finger in your ear drop it down til it stops and press backwards gently- there it is, on both sides. at the base of the cartilidge area. a small needle is left there for a week or so. if u have no acupuncture then stimulate that with a pinch during craving.

reming him that he just needs to keep trying, not to get down on jimself if he fails. everytime he quits it counts.