PDA

View Full Version : Yang Banhou, Yang Shaohou Taiji

MantisifuFW
10-12-2002, 11:46 AM
I am doing a bit of research into Yang Taiji history and am greatly interested in the methodology of Yang Banhou and Yang Shaohou. Are there any descendants from the lines in the West? If not, please suggest reference material in Chinese or Western languages concerning these lines of the art. Additionally, I travel to China regularly and could do direct investigation of these lines if someone could provide a starting place.

I would appreciate any assistance or information in this regard.
Sincerely,
MSFW

taijiquan_student
10-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Erle Montaigue in Australia claims his teacher learned from Shaohou. His website is taichiworld.com. Decide for yourself whether or not you believe him. Some love him, some thinks he's fake, and there are A LOT of politics surrounding the whole banhou/shaohou taiji thing. Good luck.

taaigihk
10-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Yang Jwing-Ming (YMAA) says his version of taiji is that of Yang Banhou. In China, there's Pang Daming who is an "advisor" of Handan Yang Banhou Taiji Research Association. He has written a book on Yang shi taiji were he states he learned his Yang Banhou taiji from someone called Jia Zhixiang.
I also have seen a website of another guy that claims he knows the original Yang Banhou taiji. He calls it Banhou Quan and teaches in Shenzhen. I don't know if they're ofany worth though. :-)

MantisifuFW
10-12-2002, 03:37 PM
I appreciate the information both in terms of the caveat concerning my query and the direction of Shenzhen. It is possible I could stop by there in the future. I am familiar with some of YJM's students, thanks for that bit of information. I am very interested in those who's lines did not go through Taiwan also and believe that this will provide a useful comparison.

Has anyone seen the video put out by Scholar Productions of, among other things,a reported decendent of Yang Shaohou performing the long form? Additionally I have done some searches for the website on the school in Shenzhen but have come up empty so far. If you run across that site again I would appreciate an update, if I might trouble you further. I will continue to search.

All in all though, this is a great beginning. I appreciate your willingness to help.

MSFW

taaigihk
10-12-2002, 04:12 PM
I'd check the Handan /Hebei/ direction if I were you. :)

dedalus
10-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Chen Panling also learnt from Yang Shaohou... perhaps that's the video you were thinking of (even though CPL's form is a blend of internals)?

MantisifuFW
10-13-2002, 05:42 PM
I have begun to do some research on the net concerning Handan and the Taiji centers there. It seems that a wealth of information could be available. You would not happen to have the name of the book you cite on Taiji by Pang Daming?

Again I apprecite your assistance. When I manage to get out there, if I can find a center to begin my investigation/ study, I will certainly let you know.

MSFW

taaigihk
10-14-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi,
the name of the book is: "Yangshi taijiquan yongfa jieyao".
It was published by Beijing Tiyu Daxue Chubanshe /ISBN 7-81051-288-9/. The book is more about Yang Chengfu version, but you can find Yang Banhou quanpu in it as well. According to the preface, Pang Daming lives in Handan (1998). Apart from learning from Jia Zhixiang, he also learned his Banhou version from Lin Jinsheng (I forgot to mention him in my previous posts).
As for the Shenzhen site, I cannot find it anymore.
Also, did you try to contact Jarek Szymanski? You could do that through his website: http://www.chinafrominside.com
If you find something, let me know. :)

MantisifuFW
10-25-2002, 03:30 PM
I communicated with Jarek and he could not find any information on the style, unfortunately. Said he simply had not had the time to devote to that praticular thread but that he would in the future. Seemed like a very nice fellow too! Great website!

I will continue my investigation and let you know. Thanks for your assistance.
MSF