PDA

View Full Version : Talk to Got Qi Girls

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

TaoBoy
01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by M_ArtsMargie
TaoBoy***:D

My food has to have hot sauce on it. Hot sauce on everything! Pizza, clam chowder, you know what i mean.:p

I've heard all about your clam chowder. ;)

TaoBoy
01-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
My training is done for the day - time for some relaxing posting on KFO

Aw man - I left my gi at home so I couldn't train. I've been itching to get back into it. So, no bjj last night...but I will definitely be kung fu-ing tonight.

norther practitioner
01-22-2003, 03:24 PM
A friend of mine just picked up the Bug cookbook, yummy!
I stopped at chocolate covered grasshoppers (which I wussed out and dipped in even more chocolate)

Hai_To
01-22-2003, 03:39 PM
I would never eat any of that stuff. I'm very finicky. I wonder if that is how I stay so thin. Hmm...

Serpent
01-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan

Ever see Eddie Izzard?

"You say aluminum, we say aluminium. You say erb, we say herb...because there's a fu(king 'H' in it."

One of the funniest people on the planet. And a very valid observation that you quoted just there!

SevenStar
01-22-2003, 06:02 PM

It's an herb. Looks a lot like parsley. You find it in most Thai dishes.

If I had my way... well, I won't get into that, but as far as food goes, if I had my way, oregano would be in everything

Xebsball
01-22-2003, 06:11 PM
oh man, oregano is the good ****e

SevenStar
01-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog

Dude, haven't you been reading the Health And Conditioning Threads? All SevenStar has to do is look at weights, and he gains ten pounds on the spot. :D

SevenStar's guide to being hyooge:

1. Go to the gym
2. Look at weights
3. Go home and rest

FatherDog
01-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Oregano is often the difference between good pizza and great pizza.

And Eddie Izzard is great. Did you see him in Shadow of the Vampire?

eulerfan
01-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Shadow of the Vampire.

I didn't really know what to make of that movie.

Serpent
01-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Is this the same transvestite stand-up comedian Eddie Izzard? He's in a movie? :confused:

eulerfan
01-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I think he's been in a few. Dressed as a man. He was in The Mystery Men.

TaoBoy
01-22-2003, 08:03 PM
I think he's been in a few. Dressed as a man. He was in The Mystery Men.

He was in Mystery Men?
Which character?

Now, Tom Waits was great in the flick.

eulerfan
01-22-2003, 08:21 PM
He was the main disco boy.

http://movieweb.com/movie/mysterymen/co5.jpg

Serpent
01-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Oh, haven't seen either of those films. Izzard is usually more the make-up and androgynous clothes type than the full tranny, but I've seen him flowing gowns too. Of course, if he was acting he'd wear what the part required.

I think the only exception to that rule is Dame Edna Everage starring pretty much as herself in Ally McBeal. Whats that all about then? That show really is the washed up famous person cameo appearance show. I never really watch it, but I saw the end of an episode the other night and it had Dame Edna, Jon Bon Jovi and Christina Ricci (yum!) in it. What's going on there?

And while I'm on the subject, what the hell is the attraction of that Callista Flockhart freak, with her matchstick body like an Ethiopian famine victim and her stupid head wobbling around on top of her dental floss-like neck?

Serpent
01-22-2003, 08:24 PM
He was the main disco boy.

http://movieweb.com/movie/mysterymen/co5.jpg

Yeah, that's Eddie, on the left. And Geoffrey Rush in the middle. Good movie is it?

eulerfan
01-22-2003, 09:03 PM
I thought it was incredibly funny. But a lot of people have told me they thought it blew pretty hard.

Serpent
01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
I thought it was incredibly funny. But a lot of people have told me they thought it blew pretty hard.

Guess I'll have to check it out and decide for myself then.

Chang Style Novice
01-22-2003, 09:16 PM
I liked Mystery Men, but then again, I also liked Monkeybone.

So, consider yourself warned.

Serpent
01-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Did any of you guys see that movie Freddie Got Fingered? More to the point, did you like it?

It's the only video I've ever switched off after the first 20 minutes because it was just so bloody awful.

Chang Style Novice
01-22-2003, 09:39 PM
I did that with the first Austin Powers movie.

But to answer your question, no, it would have taken a sizable bribe to get me to watch Tom Green do anything.

Serpent
01-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
But to answer your question, no, it would have taken a sizable bribe to get me to watch Tom Green do anything.

Me too now. The guy is a complete cock.

Serpent
01-22-2003, 10:02 PM
I'll eat just about anything, and have in my Asian travels, but won't touch eggplant.

Is that weird?

joedoe
01-22-2003, 10:35 PM
I have administered the death touch to this topic. It will now die within the next 100 years.

SevenStar
01-22-2003, 10:45 PM
nah. This thread is the only thing that could survive a nuclear holocaust

Serpent
01-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
I have administered the death touch to this topic. It will now die within the next 100 years.

You cannot kill that which does not live!

joedoe
01-22-2003, 10:54 PM
My super forum death touch can kill any thread. Just wait and see :D

Serpent
01-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Mate, this thread has survived 142 pages of utter bollocks. Even you can't kill that.

SevenStar
01-22-2003, 11:09 PM
nah, this thread isn't going anywhere soon

rubthebuddha
01-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
It's the only video I've ever switched off after the first 20 minutes because it was just so bloody awful.
serpie,

the only movie i remember doing that to in recent years was usual suspects. i've been told several million times since then that it's the most fantastic movie, etc., but i was in a bad mood when i put it in and after 20 minutes, i started to think that it would be more fun to watch the dog**** in the back yard grow that white fuzzy mold. word is that the movie got utterly delicious as it went on, but if a director takes up 20 minutes of my time and can't hook me, he or she might as well be dipped in spaghetti sauce and run naked through a field of dingos.

want to learn what a quality hook is? ask
father mcgruder (http://multimedia.badmovies.org/movies/deadalive1.mpg) from dead alive.

SevenStar
01-23-2003, 12:14 AM
the usual suspects was excellent - you missed a good one if you didn't watch it.

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Usual Suspects was AMAZING. The first twenty minutes notwithstanding. I had no trouble making it through that. Then again, I have a petty sizeable crush on Benicio Del Toro.

Hai_To
01-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Actually I eat more now than I ever did in the past, but I would never touch eggplant.

FatherDog
01-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Eddie Izzard is hysterical. So was Mystery Men. Tom Waits is awesome; I have a stack of his albums a mile high. He's actually in quite a few movies; most notably, he plays Renfield in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.

Usual Suspects was excellent, as was Way of the Gun (same director).

I enjoyed Shadow of the Vampire, but it was an arty flick; not everyone's cup of tea. Very strongly about obsession.

M_ArtsMargie
01-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Usual Suspects was an excellent movie. I agree with that. Have you guys seen Pay it Foward? That was pretty good, kind of sad though.:(

I have to admit that I think "freddy got fingered" was his down fall. After that, he got old. I can't believe that movie was realeased. Ouch! Ever notice he hardly plays the main role in films?

I prefer a good comedy myself. Martin Lawerances' "You so Crazy" was so funny:D

GeneChing
01-23-2003, 09:56 AM
I used to hate the stuff too but developed a taste for it at Shaolin Temple in '95. Pickin's were slim then - I remember once being served a plate of pig fat back were the skin still had hairs - bleaach. They did this batter fried eggplant that was delightful and ever since I've enjoyed it. My parents tell me that's why they like bitter melon, but that's were I draw the line. I was into stunt foods until 2000 when some fellow travelers to Shaolin ordered a turtle, which neither I nor a vegetarian friend sampled, then stiffed us with an equal portion of the bill - and they barely ate the turtle! I think they just wanted to kill it (it was in one of those storefront tanks) which made me reconsider the whole notion of stunt food. Anyway, one of my Buddhist vows was not to take life, so I wrestle with that and my non-vegetarian diet constantly. I can't even give up my bacon sammiches, but at least I gave up stunt food, except maybe scorpions, very yummy.

M_ArtsMargie
01-23-2003, 10:04 AM
I will try any food once (I think) Then again I say that now....and you never know...I may not try it. But I try to try something different.
Eggplant...yuck. I hate brousil sprouts too.

My brother(who lives in Michigan) eats pincher bugs! :eek:

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 10:18 AM
What about current films?

I saw Adaptation last weekend. That was a brilliant movie. I've read tons of metafiction but I've never seen a metaficitonal movie before. Very well done.

@PLUGO
01-23-2003, 10:21 AM
"way of the Gun" was directed by Bryan (Apt Pupil, X-men) Singer???

I had no idea?

GeneChing
01-23-2003, 10:32 AM
All my writer friends have told me to go see Adaptation. Most of my non-writer friends said they didn't understand it.
Do you write eulerfan? You've certainly got a flair for posting, even if you don't attach more pics on that got qi? shirt (which I KNOW you will.)

Margina - Did you pick that Chow Yun Fat pic because he was chowing on a snake? Whazzup with you and weird food? It's all that hot sauce, no doubt.

Xebsball
01-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Any of you seen City of God (Cidade de Deus), its very cool if you like suburban stuff with shootings and all.

FatherDog
01-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Design Sifu
"way of the Gun" was directed by Bryan (Apt Pupil, X-men) Singer???

I had no idea?

Sorry, I misspoke (or oversimplified)

Way of the Gun was written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote Usual Suspects, but did not direct it.

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
All my writer friends have told me to go see Adaptation. Most of my non-writer friends said they didn't understand it.
Do you write eulerfan? You've certainly got a flair for posting, even if you don't attach more pics on that got qi? shirt (which I KNOW you will.)

I can understand that. He bandies about terms like 'Deus Ex Machina' and 'character arcs' and 'denouement' like you should know what they mean.

Like I said, metafiction.

I do write. I've gotten poetry published. And I am not counting the OED sized book I was published in and then given the opportunity to purchase for the low, low price of $59.95. My mom gave me the address for that one; a 'contest' she read about in the paper. :rolleyes: Moms don't got the street smarts.

I've posted three pictures in as many weeks. I thought I was doing pretty well.

I still owe ward off left and ride the tiger. I'll get on that.

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2003, 10:47 AM
I hate The Usual Suspects. I love Fresh. That is all for now.

FatherDog
01-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Also, regarding Freddy Got Fingered; the only good thing Tom Green has been in is Drew Barrymore.

That is all for now.

dezhen2001
01-23-2003, 11:20 AM
eulerfan: 3 pics? all i remember is you posting a link to an old one and doing snake creeps down? :(

lol

dawood

SevenStar
01-23-2003, 12:27 PM
she posted one of her laying down that showed off her cleavage. Then there was one in horse stance in a "shoot the bow" type posture and then there was snake creeps down. She also posted a close up of her face.

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
eulerfan: 3 pics? all i remember is you posting a link to an old one and doing snake creeps down? :(

lol

dawood

I've posted three in the got qi? shirt.

Snake creeps down
horse
single whip

Then I posted two others

cleavage on the floor
black dress

no links
no close ups of my face

The current total is 5.

That is all for now.

dezhen2001
01-23-2003, 12:53 PM
didnt see the horse or single whip ones lol :D
my uuugly mug is on my avatar and its scary enough :p

dawood

norther practitioner
01-23-2003, 03:06 PM
See, as a non red meat or pork eating person, eggplant has become a major part of my diet. It is a bit of an aquired taste.... speaking of which, I'm actually making eggplant parm for dinner, who is coming?

TaoBoy
01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
What about current films?

I saw Adaptation last weekend. That was a brilliant movie. I've read tons of metafiction but I've never seen a metaficitonal movie before. Very well done.

So you finally saw it?
I loved it.

Still BJM was better.
Unfortunately my girl thinks it's perverse. :rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Re: Current cinema

Look for Kangaroo Jack to sweep all the awards in 2004! Or inspire me to put a bullet in my head as I weep for the future of my nation. Whichever.

Serpent
01-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Re: Current cinema

Look for Kangaroo Jack to sweep all the awards in 2004! Or inspire me to put a bullet in my head as I weep for the future of my nation. Whichever.

Please, kill whoever made that movie so that it never happens again.

Euler, what do you mean by metafiction?

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 04:32 PM

Please, kill whoever made that movie so that it never happens again.

Euler, what do you mean by metafiction?

The author is present in the work and comments on the process of writing it. I'd have thought it impossible to do in a movie but Kaufman solves the problem by weaving the fact that it's metafiction into the fabric of the story. This makes me wonder if I can rightly call it metafiction but I will anyway.

John Barth has a story called, 'lost in the funhouse' that's pretty good metafiction.

Serpent
01-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Aha, with you.

You should read Yann Martel's Life Of Pi then. Recent Booker winner and really quite different. Very good indeed. I'd love someone else to read it so I could talk to them about it!

norther practitioner
01-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Just had a friend finish it and recomend it (I'm pretty sure thats the book of which they were speaking). Anyhow, I'll try to grab their copy for a while.... Is it a long read?

Serpent
01-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Just had a friend finish it and recomend it (I'm pretty sure thats the book of which they were speaking). Anyhow, I'll try to grab their copy for a while.... Is it a long read?

Not a long read at all, and it's an easy read. He's a great writer.

Serpent
01-23-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm glad that others know the horror of eggplant.

Gene, if you have problems with the whole Buddhist/vegetarian/eating meat thing then you should start to only eat the meat of animals that you've killed yourself. Might settle the internal debate for you.

GeneChing
01-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Alright, I guess one pic a week is cool. Seemed like less. Or maybe we all just want more. Funny how the passage of time distorts on the forum. Talk about metafiction, more like metaphysics. Adaptation is on the list of movies to see.

Love to read some of your poetry sometime, as long as it's not about martial arts. I get these occasional martial arts poetry submissions and the authors are so full of themselves, they can't even see how preposterous their stuff is.

But I digress. Did I mention that GM Tu is going to be teaching in the office psace right next to us soon? That's right, the iron crotch tow-er of Margie's truck himself. I wonder if we can get free lessons. I'll do it if Margina does...;)

GeneChing
01-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Actually I take the approach of the Thai monks, who will eat whatever is donated. But I've read Fast Food Nation, so I know it's a cop out.

Serpent
01-23-2003, 05:58 PM
But I digress. Did I mention that GM Tu is going to be teaching in the office psace right next to us soon? That's right, the iron crotch tow-er of Margie's truck himself. I wonder if we can get free lessons. I'll do it if Margina does...;)

Margie has a *****!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes.

It is very simple.

When Margie wants the *****, Margie takes the *****.

M_ArtsMargie
01-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Serpent***who said I had a p3nis? It is possible to pull things with a female part. :rolleyes: :p

Gene***Thanks....but I'll pass. Oh....and you know I love snakes
:D

Eulerfan***:D ;)

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Love to read some of your poetry sometime, as long as it's not about martial arts.

That sounds like a challenge.:D ;)

Serpent
01-23-2003, 07:14 PM
That is a challenge. I'd love to read some too!

Margie, which bits?

Xebsball
01-23-2003, 07:30 PM
General Ching, this one by the great Yueh Fei, so no being ****ed at lil Xebby mkay :D

To the Tune of "Full River Red"

Wrath set my hair bristling in my helmet.

Standing by the rails see the drizzling rain has ceased,

Raising my eyes to the skies I shout in my vigorous aspiration.

At the age of thirty fame and heroic deeds are nothing but earth and dust.

With clouds or the moon, my battle fields have covered eight thousand li long.

Do not tarry,

The hair of young men might grow white with deep regret.

The shame heaped on us in the year of Jing Kang is not yet wiped away.

When will the sorrows of the Emperor's subjects come to an end?

O let us ride on war chariots through to the Ho Lan Pass.

Our ambitions are to drive away foreign invaders,

while talking and laughing let them shed blood.

O let's start afresh,

To recover our dear rivers and mountains,

Then we will pay our tribute to Heaven.

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Okay, then. I'll give you my poem about sex. It's the sappiest poem I've ever written but I picked it because it's about sex.

I can wonder
so my stomach rises
to greet your smile

I can dream
only in foggy sighs
and whispered miles

how sweet those hips
that pull belly taught

how dear that tender
low-lidded thought

of your eyes

I feel like I know you
like I can taste your imperfection
it throws back my head
as I try to lift my back
n this impossible warmth
and softness of moment
our bodies pressed together
like a child's hands in prayer

just like

sin is fumbling
tempation obvious and dumb

it is reverence
sly enough
to betray me

Serpent
01-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Gene, maybe you just need a handy proverb. Hang on...

*digs in fortune cookie bag*

..er.. ah... aha! Hear ya go:

*ahem*

"It's not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, but what comes out."

There you are. So, just shut up and enjoy your bacon sammich! ;)

Serpent
01-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Actually, that's not too sappy at all. And it's about sex.

I find this line somewhat.... I dunno... not disturbing exactly, but it stands out for some reason:

our bodies pressed together
like a child's hands in prayer

But I really dig the way it finishes.

Now let's have one about martial arts, just to **** off Gene.

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Thank you.

I write short fiction, too. Most who read my stories respond to them with something like, "I bet you're a really good poet."

I've actually gotten stories rejected. Well, all of my stories have been rejected. In some rejections, the editor asks to see some of my poetry. So, I think I write prose like a poet. I'm entirely unsure of how to fix that.

Now let's have one about martial arts, just to **** off Gene.

That's what I meant by 'that sounds like a challenge.':D

Serpent
01-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Love to read your shorts too.

(I'm inclined to mention something about trying to see inside your shorts, but that would be crass.)

TaoBoy
01-23-2003, 08:07 PM
My thread is definitely worse than this one.

If I told you Serpent was into beastiality, necrophilia and b&d would you say he was floggin a dead horse?

eulerfan
01-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
If I told you Serpent was into beastiality, necrophilia and b&d would you say he was floggin a dead horse?

If he ordered me to.

Serpent
01-23-2003, 08:34 PM
SAY IT!

TaoBoy
01-23-2003, 08:55 PM

If he ordered me to.

touche.

Hai_To
01-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Lets not forget the wisdom of The Simpsons.

Homer- Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa- No.
Homer- Ham?
Lisa- No.
Homer- Pork Chops?
Lisa- Dad, those all come from the same animal!
Homer- Heh, heh, heh ooh yeah right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Mmmmm reprocessed pig fat.

GeneChing
01-24-2003, 10:46 AM
I remeber hanging out with Shaolin Monk Shi Yanming and Wu-Tang Clan head RZA at Shaolin. Yanming is an open carnivour, something that he's caught a lot of flack for over the years, but he won't eat pigs because he thinks their too slow. RZA won't eat pig either for religious reasons. No bacon sammiches for those two. Actually, I usually avoid pig in my diet, just because so many other religions avoid it, and I'm usually surrounded by vegetarian Buddhists, hippies, etc., so pig seemed the easiest to give up. Shi Guolin, another Shaolin monk, was advising me that if I can't be vegetarian all the time, I should do so when I can selectively and work my way up, so to speak. So I figured pig would be a good one to go. For the most part, it's easy to give up. I'm not a big fan of pork chops or ham anyway.

But bacon, the most sinful of meats really, well, that keeps bringing me back. I can't give up that bacon. Every once in a while, nothing else satisfies.

@PLUGO
01-24-2003, 10:48 AM

So what is that SadioNecrobeastaphilea???

Most of my writting has been comics . . .

and on the topic of metafiction here's the comics version. (http://www.barbelith.com/bomb/)

GeneChing
01-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Margie is not endowed with a *****, at least not to the BEST of my knowledge. There's a special tool for women that can endow them. Unfortunately, GM Tu does not teach this skill to unmaried couples. So sorry Margina, I guess it was not to be.

euler - Did somebody say challenge? Not me. Liked your line "I can dream
only in foggy sighs
and whispered miles"

Xb - OK I'm defying my "only talk to Margie & Euler" rule on this thread to respond to "I shout in my vigorous aspiration." Whenever I need to be the bad cop, I'm going to chant that over and over again under my breath.

FatherDog
01-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Design: I would've thought Animal Man would've been a more direct example of metafiction than the Invisibles.

Not that it's not present there as well, of course...

@PLUGO
01-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Very true father Dawg...

But aside from there not being as cool a website available for ANIMAL MAN...
The INVISIBLES seems to move in both directions metafiction wise...

Reality vs. Fictional

according to the author at least...

norther practitioner
01-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Bacon that sausage boy!
Homer Simpson, sometime in the last few years.

FatherDog
01-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Design: True enough. I'm not sure I'd be trying to explain metafiction to people by throwing them into an explanation of hypersigils, though.

Venturing away from Grant's stuff, Dave Sim's Cerebus is an excellent example of a metafictional narrative. You have to be able to make the separation between "Dave Sim the excellent writer" and "Dave Sim the flaming *******" in your head to enjoy them, though.

And then, venturing away from comics in general, Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions" is an interesting metafictional narrative... although I haven't seen the movie version, starring Bruce Willis. I suspect it doesn't translate well.

M_ArtsMargie
01-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Bacon is good

norther practitioner
01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Actually bacon sammiches are the root of all evil.

@PLUGO
01-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Design: True enough. I'm not sure I'd be trying to explain metafiction to people by throwing them into an explanation of hypersigils, though.

Venturing away from Grant's stuff, Dave Sim's Cerebus is an excellent example of a metafictional narrative. You have to be able to make the separation between "Dave Sim the excellent writer" and "Dave Sim the flaming *******" in your head to enjoy them, though.

And then, venturing away from comics in general, Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions" is an interesting metafictional narrative... although I haven't seen the movie version, starring Bruce Willis. I suspect it doesn't translate well.

Yeah... I suppose hypersigils are better discussed here (http://www.barbelith.com/underground/);)

As for Sim... I could never really get into his stuff... I know I know. But it just never grabbed me. Even though I've noticed that he's putting his stuff out again with some regularity... it's just not grabbing me...

Now Bruce Willis as Kurt Vonnegut!!!
That's i n t e r e s t i n g . :p

Xebsball
01-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Margie, did you recieve my last PM?
just checking :D

Chang Style Novice
01-24-2003, 06:19 PM
You have to be able to make the separation between "Dave Sim the excellent writer" and "Dave Sim the flaming *******" in your head to enjoy them, though.
That's getting harder and harder to accomplish. That guy is ****ing nuts. Too bad he (was once) one of the world's most technically brilliant and formally innovative comics artists. And his caricatures are still fantastic.

Also, no discussion of metafiction would be complete without at least a name-check to Philip K Dick's Valis.

FatherDog
01-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Design Sifu
Yeah... I suppose hypersigils are better discussed here (http://www.barbelith.com/underground/);)

Sho' nuff. :D

As for Sim... I could never really get into his stuff... I know I know. But it just never grabbed me. Even though I've noticed that he's putting his stuff out again with some regularity... it's just not grabbing me...

Tastes differ. Myself, I read everything in Cerebus once, enjoyed it, and never picked it up again. Good once. Dunno how I'd feel if I reread it.

Now Bruce Willis as Kurt Vonnegut!!!
That's i n t e r e s t i n g . :p

Actually, Willis plays Duane Hoover. Vonnegut doesn't show up in the movie, which is one of the reasons I suspect it hasn't transferred well from the book.

FatherDog
01-24-2003, 06:33 PM

That's getting harder and harder to accomplish. That guy is ****ing nuts. Too bad he (was once) one of the world's most technically brilliant and formally innovative comics artists. And his caricatures are still fantastic.[/QUOTE

True enough. Cerebus has this soaring pinnacle, after it gets really good, and before he starts going insane. It's still fascinating to read after he starts going wacky, but it's never really as good. The literary criticism is interesting, though.

[QUOTE]
Also, no discussion of metafiction would be complete without at least a name-check to Philip K Dick's Valis.

Very true. Barbelith (from The Invisibles) and Valis have strong parallels, as well.

Chang Style Novice
01-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Well, the last year or so of stuff I read in Cerebus (after he starts getting really fat, and the Woody Allen likealook shows up) I barely even read. Sim/Cerebus' interpretation of the old testament may make for some really interesting thought-provoking stuff, but the muttering-to-oneself-while-free-associating STYLE of the writing was just intolerable. And the godd[i]/i]amn thing is overflowing with this stuff. There must be over 10,000 words of it in each issue. And most of it is along the lines of "um - no. Wait, see..." and I just don't have the time or inclination to see if there's anything worth reading in all of that. I'd rather check out someone who's trying to write well, instead of someone who's trying to write like a transcription machine.

I haven't bothered with the Freud stuff, either.

David Jamieson
01-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Actually bacon sammiches are the root of all evil.

well in all fairness and to heed the scripture, it is "the LOVE of bacon sammiches" that is the root of all evil.

That's why pudding is better.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Just to be topical. Have you girls still got Qi?

And what do you do with your Qi on a regular basis to let it know that it is loved?

Do you give the Qi bacon? or pudding?

I give my Qi pudding...daily.

cheers

Qi dup
01-24-2003, 07:31 PM
"It's not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, but what comes out."

Mathew 15:11

eulerfan
01-24-2003, 08:11 PM

"Breakfast of Champions" was a bit too sentimental for me. I mean the stuff about Vonnegut as a writer. He really romanticised how he felt about his characters and stuff. He used his appearance to pull at your heart strings.

So, as far as metafiction goes, I found it really disingenuous.

Xebsball
01-24-2003, 08:14 PM
At The Drive In
" Arc Arsenal "

I must have read a thousand faces!
I must have robbed them of their cause!
Sickened thirst!! sickened thirst!!
keeps it together!
soft white glow in the cranium, a bulls eye made sedated

BEWARE!!!
BE-WARE!!
BEWARE!!

I must have read a thousand faces!
and all these voices won't give up!
sickened thirst!! sickened thirst!!
glues it together!
a catatonic leisure at 1000 miles per hour

BEWARE!
BE-WARE!
BE-WAAARE!!

so who's in charge here
barking out loud so clear!!
because i'd really like to meet him

uproar east - strike west!

have you... ever tasted skin...
sink your! sink your teeth in it!!!

BEWAAARE!!
BEWAARE!
BEWAAARE!!

SevenStar
01-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Love to read your shorts too.

(I'm inclined to mention something about trying to see inside your shorts, but that would be crass.)

Nah, it'd just be typical serpent :D

SevenStar
01-24-2003, 09:40 PM

Oh....and you know I love snakes

heh. ;)

eulerfan
01-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Now, he says that he will never return to see what was down that other road.

Why would he point that out? It makes it hard to believe that taking the road he took would make any difference at all. How would he know? He has no idea what was down that other road.

And, was it just me, or did he say that they were actaully worn about the same? One was only slightly less travelled? Kind of takes the punch out of it, doesn't it? Why would he do that?

Didn't Frost have a propensity for taking the p!ss out of people?

Could he be taking the p!ss still, from beyond the grave, out of people who want to believe that being an independant thinker is as simple as doing stuff other people don't do?

Frost was the man!

SevenStar
01-25-2003, 10:47 AM
I love that poem.

quiet man
01-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah... I didn't understand it, so it must be a good poem :D ;) . Only... no way is that about sex... I mean, where are the naughty words?! Like one-eyed trouser snake... or anklespanker...

Seriously now... I like it a lot. I can almost hear Margo Timmins singing it...
(well, I think that's a compliment :D)

rubthebuddha
01-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by quiet man
Seriously now... I like it a lot. I can almost hear Margo Timmins singing it...
(well, I think that's a compliment :D)
that's a dayam big compliment there, tiger. she has a voice that you just want to ... um ... yeah, one of those voices.

SevenStar
01-25-2003, 11:55 PM
who's she?

quiet man
01-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Who's she? See here (www.cowboyjunkies.com/main.html) and here (www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7573/). May I recommend "The Trinity Session" or "Pale Sun, Crescent Moon"? And one very special song, "Just Want to See" - if that doesn't make you break down and weep, you should check your pulse ;)

rtb - you speak the truth. Her voice feels like this big, warm fireplace that you want to lay in front of and forget all your pains (I hope my grammar is correct). Carla Torgerson makes me feel like that, too...

Hai_To
01-26-2003, 01:39 PM
NP,

The episode when Homer tells Bart to butter his bacon is the one with Richard Gere, when Lisa becomes a Buddhist.

I have to admit, I don't eat bacon. I think its pretty vile stuff.

FatherDog
01-26-2003, 07:17 PM
He really romanticised how he felt about his characters and stuff. He used his appearance to pull at your heart strings.

So, as far as metafiction goes, I found it really disingenuous.

I dunno, isn't it only disingenuous if he doesn't actually feel that way about his characters? If he sincerely feels that way, it's not disingenuous, even if it seems a bit over the top.

I don't really feel comfortable making the assumption, is all.

@PLUGO
01-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Picked up Radio Free Albemuth which featured Phillip K **** as a major charactor...interesting read while living in the Bay area and the political climate as it is . . .

And Yeah, Major influence on The Invisibles As was Robert Anton Wilson's work as well...

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 11:34 AM

I dunno, isn't it only disingenuous if he doesn't actually feel that way about his characters? If he sincerely feels that way, it's not disingenuous, even if it seems a bit over the top.

I don't really feel comfortable making the assumption, is all.

Hmmmm. How to explain? Bear with me, this is going to be a bumpy ride as I'm sure to fumble with this.

The vast majority of metafiction I've read, the author essentially tells you about the literary techniques they are using. What they are doing to make you involved in their story. They are able to tell you this and it's still a great story.

Adaptation: (SPOILER ALERT!!!!)the author can't stand how, in every movie, the character has a realization and his life changes. He vows that he won't do it because it's trite, overdone and it isn't real. But he struggles with how to make the story good without doing that. Guess what he ends up doing? When he does, you know that it is calculated and, to make matter worse, a cop out. But it is still really good.

I once saw Pen and Teller doing a magic show and they told you how each trick was done. But it was still quite amazing to watch. It really didn't detract from the show. That takes real talent.

Now, when Vonnegut does his thing, it sort of seems like he's showing you what is going on behind the scenes. But he isn't. Not really. Revealing his own attachment to his characters invests you more in his story. There is no real risk for him. He makes you think he's showing you how his trick works but it's really just more smoke and mirrors.

So, in the context of other metafiction, his seems disingenuous to me.

This is really hard to explain. Is that the least bit comprehensible?

GeneChing
01-27-2003, 12:56 PM
I just made a big post about bacon. Another China/bacon story. But my computer crashed and I lost it. Don't feel like retyping it right now.

hai-to: Loved that episode. Didn't Bart say something like "But Dad, my heart hurts..."?

FatherDog
01-27-2003, 01:59 PM
I once saw Pen and Teller doing a magic show and they told you how each trick was done. But it was still quite amazing to watch. It really didn't detract from the show. That takes real talent.

I love Penn and Teller.

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but this IS the "Got Qi Girls" thread, after all...

Now, when Vonnegut does his thing, it sort of seems like he's showing you what is going on behind the scenes. But he isn't. Not really. Revealing his own attachment to his characters invests you more in his story. There is no real risk for him. He makes you think he's showing you how his trick works but it's really just more smoke and mirrors.

Okay, I get that you feel that way, but I still don't see how or why you're getting the impression that what he's showing isn't really what is going on behind the scenes. Is it just the impression you get when you read it, or is it at odds with interviews he's done about the writing process, or what?

Chang Style Novice
01-27-2003, 02:14 PM
I scarcely remember "Breakfast of Champions"

I scarcely remember breakfast.

I am now reading Guy DeBord's "The Society of the Spectacle." I'd have to say it's one of the best, most insightful things I've ever read. A bit thick going sometimes (one amazon reviewer says "the hegelian/marxist dialectic is hard to follow" and I guess I agree, although I've never read Hegel and only skimmed the surface of Marx) but despite the fact that it's over thirty years old it seems like it's ripped from tomorrows headlines as a critique of well...society and the spectacle. Mass media, consumerism, class relations, all that stuff is covered in a way that makes perfect sense from just about any angle I try to think about it. I love my issues in art since 1968 teacher for assigning this.

Situationist International rules!

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 02:25 PM

Okay, I get that you feel that way, but I still don't see how or why you're getting the impression that what he's showing isn't really what is going on behind the scenes. Is it just the impression you get when you read it, or is it at odds with interviews he's done about the writing process, or what? [/B]

It is what is going on behind the scenes. I'm having a hard time trying to explain this and am not choosing my words precisely. I'm not a lit student.

I'm sure he was attached to Trout. He used him a lot. Why do that unless you really like the character? I am NOT saying that was a LIE. I am saying that it was disingenuous as metafiction goes, comparatively. Not that the admission itself was disingenuous.

Imagine if Pen said, okay, I'm going to reveal something very special to you. This is my favorite trick. I have done this trick hundreds of times and feel a special attachment to it. But, tonight is the last time I am going to do it.

Imagine all of that information is quite true.

There is still a very obvious reason for giving you that information. He's telling you that to make the trick seem more special to you. He's not exactly telling secrets or anything. But he will probably make it seem like he is. To make you feel like you are in the inner circle.

This is VERY different from telling you exactly how he does his trick and still knocking your socks off when he does it. THAT was most probably a response to the masked magician showing how tricks are done on FOX. They were responding with, 'doesn't matter if you know how the trick is done. I'll prove it.'

One is more like manipulation, a bit self-indulgent. The other is more purposeful and direct, it makes a point.

Trying to understand what I mean may be a bit like wading through a sewer to get a biscuit. Just to warn you.

M_ArtsMargie
01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
FOOTBALL:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(

M_ArtsMargie
01-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Gene**Ouch...that aint right. Bacon is bad for the heart too aint it?

KungLek**we have plenty of qi to go around. It is what ables us to get up to come to work ;)

Xebsball***;) I received it.

Hai_To
01-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Gene,

Yep, that's the episode. The Simpsons is IMHO the greatest show on TV. It is consistently funny.

Margie,

These days just about everything is bad for the heart. Boy, it would be so easy to segue into some sort of heartbreaker comment, but I won't.

Must.......not......say.....

..........arrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Serpent
01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Er.... anyone still interested in a spank?

GeneChing
01-27-2003, 06:53 PM
...obviously he meant it to be posted here.

http://www.ilovebacon.com/home/index.shtml

GeneChing
01-27-2003, 06:55 PM
...now that was a spanking. Especially the last few minutes. ouchy.

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 07:05 PM
My slam piece turned the game on for a second, curious to see how it was going.

My reaction was, "Oh, the superbowl is today?"

Serpent
01-27-2003, 07:15 PM
"My slam piece"??

:eek:

Serpent
01-27-2003, 07:16 PM
...now that was a spanking. Especially the last few minutes. ouchy.

So what happened?

Serpent
01-27-2003, 07:34 PM
I remeber hanging out with Shaolin Monk Shi Yanming and Wu-Tang Clan head RZA at Shaolin. Yanming is an open carnivour, something that he's caught a lot of flack for over the years, but he won't eat pigs because he thinks their too slow. RZA won't eat pig either for religious reasons. No bacon sammiches for those two. Actually, I usually avoid pig in my diet, just because so many other religions avoid it, and I'm usually surrounded by vegetarian Buddhists, hippies, etc., so pig seemed the easiest to give up. Shi Guolin, another Shaolin monk, was advising me that if I can't be vegetarian all the time, I should do so when I can selectively and work my way up, so to speak. So I figured pig would be a good one to go. For the most part, it's easy to give up. I'm not a big fan of pork chops or ham anyway.

But bacon, the most sinful of meats really, well, that keeps bringing me back. I can't give up that bacon. Every once in a while, nothing else satisfies.

Namedropper!

Serpent
01-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Qi dup

Mathew 15:11

Good gawd! I'm quoting the bible?

I thought it was a Buddhist thing. Ah well, never mind. It's still a good quote.

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 07:57 PM

So what happened?

There was this group of guys. They wanted to take this ball to the end of a certain feild. There was another group of guys. They wanted to take the SAME ball to the opposite end of the SAME field.

Well, you can imagine the havoc that ensued.

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 08:03 PM

There was this group of guys. They wanted to take this ball to the end of a certain feild. There was another group of guys. They wanted to take the SAME ball to the opposite end of the SAME field.

ROFLMAO!!!! :D :D

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 08:04 PM
slam piece? Do I even have to ask?

Serpent
01-27-2003, 08:11 PM

Oh man, it must have been like a battle, but, like, with a ball and opposite ends and stuff.

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 08:28 PM
slam piece? Do I even have to ask?

No you don't.

Funny thing, he doesn't seem to mind when I talk about him as though he's just a sex object.

Must not have a lot of self respect, the tart.

eulerfan
01-27-2003, 08:30 PM

Oh man, it must have been like a battle, but, like, with a ball and opposite ends and stuff.

Yeah. The ball was important. You could call it Football.

Wait. No. It's not as though they were kicking the ball everywhere, prohibited from using their hands or anything.

Football is a horrible name.

Never mind.

Serpent
01-27-2003, 08:45 PM
And what cracks me up is when Brits talk about football (referring to soccer) and Americans don't have a clue how to spell it.

Like, it's a ball, right, that you kick. With your foot. Therefore football.

I've seen Americans spell it futbol and all sorts of things.

Funny.

As for your slam piece, how could he have any self respect, banging away on a cheap ol' piece of internet tail like you?

Chang Style Novice
01-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Futbol is messikin. Hyar in the yoonited staytz, if'n ya wants ta watch soccer, ya gots ta watch it on wunna them thar messikin channels. So alla them fairies what likes soccer tends ta callin' it futbol.

them messikins likes them some beisbol, too.

Xebsball
01-27-2003, 08:51 PM
its called "futebol" here, cos its "portuguesed"

Serpent
01-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Futbol is messikin. Hyar in the yoonited staytz, if'n ya wants ta watch soccer, ya gots ta watch it on wunna them thar messikin channels. So alla them fairies what likes soccer tends ta callin' it futbol.

them messikins likes them some beisbol, too.

Well, bugger me (in a virtual sense). You really do learn summat new ever'day!

Americans are still stupid though.

;)

FatherDog
01-27-2003, 10:17 PM
"So, what happened at the boxing match?"

"One guy got knocked out, and the other thanked Jesus."

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 10:19 PM
futbol = soccer
futbol del americano = American football

bugger you :p

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 10:21 PM

No you don't.

Funny thing, he doesn't seem to mind when I talk about him as though he's just a sex object.

Must not have a lot of self respect, the tart.

Either that, or he doesn't want to protest and jeopardize his status as a sex object...

Chang Style Novice
01-28-2003, 06:55 AM
"So, what happened at the boxing match?"

"One guy got knocked out, and the other thanked Jesus."

True story, overheard at a video store I was once browsing at.

"Do you have that movie with that guy? And that other guy? And they fight and he kills the other guy?"

eulerfan
01-28-2003, 07:28 AM

Americans are still stupid though.

;)

We may be stupid but at least we don't have carnal knowledge of sheep.

Sheep fu(ker.

;)

Xebsball
01-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Manu Chao
"Clandestino"

Solo voy con mi pena
sola va mi condena
correr es mi destino
para burlar la ley

Perdido en el corazon
de la grande Babilon,
me dicen "el clandestino"
por no llevar papel

Pa'una ciudad del Norte
yo me fui a trabajar,
mi vida la deje
entre Celta y Gibraltar

soy una raya en el mar
fantasma en la ciudad,
mi vida va prohibida
dice la autoridad

Solo voy con mi pena
sola va mi condena
correr es mi destino
por no llevar papel

Perdido en el corazon
de la grande Babilon,
yo soy el quiebra ley

Mano Negra: clandestina
Peruano: clandestino
Africano: clandestino
Marihuana: ilegal

Solo voy con mi pena
sola va mi condena
correr es mi destino
para burlar la ley

Perdido en el corazon
de la grande Babilon,
por no llevar papel

Argeliano: clandestino
Nigeriano: clandestino
Boliviano: clandestino
Mano Negra: ilegal

FatherDog
01-28-2003, 09:31 AM

True story, overheard at a video store I was once browsing at.

"Do you have that movie with that guy? And that other guy? And they fight and he kills the other guy?"

Two of my friends aren't allowed to be on the same team anymore when we play Taboo. The following are actual situations that illustrate why.

"That old guy!" "Charleton Heston!" "Right!"

"That German guy!" "Arnold Schwarzenegger!" "Right!"

"That guy's sister!" "Joan Cusack!" "Right!"

M_ArtsMargie
01-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Gene***I was so upset Sunday.....that I think I lost most of my food...throwing it and everything. j/p. But might as well have done so. I was so disappointed in the Raiders. They played so horrible. But then again, tampas defense was awesome. with 5 interceptions...they kicked butt. I wish the Raiders would have tried alot...alot ....alot harder. I am angry with them right now.

M_ArtsMargie
01-28-2003, 10:09 AM
serpent***Actually...alot of the good sayings that they say now a days are quoted from the bible.

Hai_to***I wouldn't be shocked if flour was bad for your heart(especially now a days)

eulerfan
01-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Xeb,

I have to tell you, since we're sort of in and out of the subject of writing, I think you would make a really good writer.

That little diary thing you did on fu-ragz, about the bus rides and the classes, that was really good. Smooth and engaging, it was a pleasure to read.

I know for a fact that I don't write as well as that and I try pretty hard at writing.

GeneChing
01-28-2003, 10:17 AM
If you're going to quote something, the bible is a great resource - psalms and proverbs are amazing, especially in the language of the King James version - Shakespeare's era when English really sang.

Not sure how that compares to the Simpsons....

GeneChing
01-28-2003, 10:31 AM
so much for the silver and black. kevin and i are wearing black and blue today.

fwiw, i enjoyed all the movie previews at the commercials. the preshow and halftime show was awful, and i usually like no doubt, but gwen was way out of key. maybe it was my mood that spoiled it. i stopped watching the game midway through and just watched the commercials...

Hai_To
01-28-2003, 10:35 AM
I don't know. Does the Bible have anything like this?

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

or

"Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present thee milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever. Thy will be done. (munch munch munch)"

@PLUGO
01-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Manu Chao is the BOMB!!!
That's a great song you chose Xesball!!!

Watched all of 5 minutes of the game showed up at a friend's house 'casue I knew he'd be hosting a superbowl party... Turned out I got there just in time for their half-time game of streetside dodge-ball...
The San Francisco crew verses the East bay crew. SF had just been creamed in Soft ball the day before so they where eager for revenge. I must admit they did very well playing Dodge ball that time....

When half time was over we piled into the living room to watch Oakland's pathetic performance. After 5 minutes I decided it would be much more satisfying to go & take my Dogs for a walk....

..it was...

norther practitioner
01-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Oh, everything's too ****ed expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.
--Homer Simpson

Ok, here's one that brings the two together....

Oh, some more great ones
I've always wondered if there was a god. And now I know there is -- and it's me.

Homer : Lisa honey, are you saying you're _never_ going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa : No.
Homer : Ham?
Lisa : No.
Homer : Pork chops?
Lisa : Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
Homer : Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

quiet man
01-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Excuse me, but has everyone added me to his/hers ignore list (and I'm not aware of it)?

(eulerfan, I complimented your poem and got no reply :(. Why would you wanna hurt me so? :D)

Don't make me post pomegranate stories, people! :D;)

@PLUGO
01-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Dude... you're not being ignored... you're just Much to QUIET man!

eulerfan
01-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by quiet man
Excuse me, but has everyone added me to his/hers ignore list (and I'm not aware of it)?

(eulerfan, I complimented your poem and got no reply :(. Why would you wanna hurt me so? :D)

Don't make me post pomegranate stories, people! :D;)

I saw that. I thought I did reply. I'm going to be totally honest with you. I've done this before. I think I write out replies and then just log off of the internet without submitting them. Sometimes.

I also will pay for things at the store and then just leave without them. "Excuse me, did you want this? You just paid for it."

Sorry.

But thank you. I will have to check out this Margo person. I hadn't heard of her.

M_ArtsMargie
01-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Gene****No doubt, that No Doubt was AWEFUL!!!! She should not be doing live acts. OUCH!

quiet man
:( Dont be sad! Sometimes we all get ignored. It doesn't mean that others are doing it on purpose

Serpent
01-28-2003, 04:15 PM

Sheep fu(ker.

;)

No no, you're thinking of New Zealanders. We have thousands of international backpackers to shag every summer. I've heard that some country folk turn to sheep in the winter months though...

Serpent
01-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Xeb,

I have to tell you, since we're sort of in and out of the subject of writing, I think you would make a really good writer.

That little diary thing you did on fu-ragz, about the bus rides and the classes, that was really good. Smooth and engaging, it was a pleasure to read.

I know for a fact that I don't write as well as that and I try pretty hard at writing.

One of these days I'm going to have to check out that fu-ragz place...

dezhen2001
01-28-2003, 05:06 PM
check it out man and if u can join up and get your ass in the chatroom :p

dawood

GeneChing
01-28-2003, 05:10 PM
There was that episode when Homer thought he ate some fugu and listened to an audial tape of the bible for his final hours, then fell asleep in numbers. I fell asleep in numbers too. Never understood numbers....

Xebsball
01-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Xeb,

Thanx, compliments much apreciated :)

I was the "second best" (acording to the teachers standards of course) on my class during the last year in highschool. I dont see myself as having any special skills or anything to claim im better then someone though. All i can say is when i read my stuff i understand if perfectly, but thats no great stunt :D
If other people understand it or not thats something else, and pretty much left to them since no one can please greeks and trojans at the same time.

But i think writting on the internet is so easy since its not attached to any speciffic structure, unlike how they made us do in school. Typing here is direct almost as talking - even though i completely lock up many times when talking to people but thats another issue - while elsewhere i could take 40 minutes not being able to write a single sentance before id kick off and write the whole thing at pratically once.

Its interesting what i was told about writting: that people with natural tendence to logic subjects such as mathematics and computer programing would find harder to write becouse writting is subjective and indirect (or something) - wich is very unlike pure and simple descriptioning and direct displaying of information that is common in the logic found in calculations. (tell me if its not making sense since im trying to explain this with my own words so some details might be off)
But, ive no doubt, through doing a few vocational tests and such, that i would technically be put in the category of "logic" people if you know what i mean. That is why previously i studied physics and computer science for a while, quitting them mostly due psycological reasons or just plain insatisfaction.
So, in truth, i just dont know. Praticing (being both writting and reading) one inevitably achives improvement, main thing is relaxing and letting it all come out naturally without worrying much i guess.

@PLUGO
01-28-2003, 06:37 PM
who are you? find out here. (http://www.smalltime.com/dictator.html)

eulerfan
01-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Very good.

Well, I win this round. You are player number 15 to pick meatwad from Aqua teen hunger force, and what a clever choice it was! You almost had me for a while, but you let your guard down. Don't worry, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Please play again, and next time I'll be ready for you, meatwad from Aqua teen hunger force.

eulerfan
01-28-2003, 07:53 PM
YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT!!!! NUCLEAR !

Serpent
01-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Congratulations, you stumped me! It certainly seemed that you were The Brown Hornet from Fat Albert, but if you say you weren't, I guess I have to believe you. Not that I'm happy about it. In fact, you've ruined my whole day. But I'll get you next time!
In the meanwhile, if you tell me who you were and help me out with a good yes/no question, I'll be able to guess it right next time. Please, try to think of a good general question that can be answered "yes" for lots of characters, not just the one that you were thinking of. And if you can't think of a good question, don't worry about it, just go and play a new game.

Oh well. I was Hong Kong Phooey, by the way. Someone uses that character as their avatar, so I thought it was worth a try.

I'm going to try again, but this time I'm going to be Ross from Friends.

Serpent
01-28-2003, 08:13 PM
It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 2393 to have chosen ross gellar from friends. ross gellar from friends was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do. Please visit again soon.

Well, whaddaya know?

To tell the truth, that whole thing would be so much better if the guy used a spell-checker!

Example:

Do you use a lot of hair cair products?

and

Are you a palientologist?

Shocking!

TaoBoy
01-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Still here!

Okay, what's been happening here lately?
Well except for eulerfan confusing Aussies and Kiwis...

Sum it all up in less than five words.

Serpent
01-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Less than five words?

"Life's rich tapestry."

There you go, Just three.

SevenStar
01-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Gene***I was so upset Sunday.....that I think I lost most of my food...throwing it and everything. j/p. But might as well have done so. I was so disappointed in the Raiders. They played so horrible. But then again, tampas defense was awesome. with 5 interceptions...they kicked butt. I wish the Raiders would have tried alot...alot ....alot harder. I am angry with them right now.

All that and she likes football too??!??! *sigh* ;)

SevenStar
01-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Less than five words?

"Life's rich tapestry."

There you go, Just three.

Serpent sucks.

heh, I knew I could do it in two :D

SevenStar
01-29-2003, 12:15 AM

Sheep fu(ker.

;)

all too true.

Hai_To
01-29-2003, 08:07 AM
I understand numbers. Ah...the joys of having been a math major.

M_ArtsMargie
01-29-2003, 10:10 AM
math is great isn't it? So many numbers! I like math myself.

GeneChing
01-29-2003, 11:06 AM
How does numbers (the biblical kind) work into math? A demonstration of exponential porgression?

GeneChing
01-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Actually, I worked the pit (front of stage) when No Doubt played in San Jose late last year. It was a great show. Garbage opened and another chick band, so it was sort of a grrrl power thing. Everyone was dressed up like Charlie's Angels, and I got to rescue lots of belly baring ladies as they passed out from the crush. I was pretty close to Gwen, a few times she could have tapped me on the head from stage, but for some reason, she didn't. I'm sure she felt that she wouldn' have been able to control herself if she touched my hair, and that would have spoiled her show. In short, I had a lot of fun working for No Doubt, so I was sorry to see that they dropped the ball at the Superbowl. There was a lot of dropped balls at the superbowl that I was sorry to see.

@PLUGO
01-29-2003, 12:23 PM
I've decided I'm going to be Gene Ching here (http://www.smalltime.com/dictator.html) and see if it guesses what small world dictator I am... :p

@PLUGO
01-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Well, there you have it, I was wrong again. I was positive that you were Clitoria Hammerslushen from El Salvador! But you are far too clever for a puny computer like me. Now you can go and tell everyone while I sit here and try to put the pieces of my crumbled existence back together.
You can help me with one thing, though. If you tell me who you were and give me a good yes/no question, then I'll be able to guess it right next time. Wouldn't that be nice?

hehehhe... now you try and guess how Gene would've answered those questions!!! ;)

Serpent
01-29-2003, 05:59 PM

Serpent sucks.

heh, I knew I could do it in two :D

SevenBlah.

One! ;)

Serpent
01-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Man, this thread just turned into a wet dream for eulerfan. I'll go get her.

Hai_To
01-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Gene,

You just gave me the opportunity to go on an anti-religion rant (I'm a recovering Catholic). Something about imaginary numbers, gods, etc. But I won't. I'm more mature than that.

GeneChing
01-30-2003, 09:49 AM
send eulerfan over

GeneChing
01-30-2003, 10:21 AM
You'll get no answers from me here...
unless your Margina or Eulerfan...

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 10:53 AM

SevenBlah.

One! ;)

serpuss.

One with less characters :p

Hai_To
01-30-2003, 11:53 AM
I remember playing that game when I was a kid. It was a great way to clothesline someone you didn't like.

norther practitioner
01-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Wow I'm e^xcited to see where this math thing goes....
I have some aquaintances that think the Bible is a big math problem. I think they are the ones with the problem most of the time. I hate numbers at the moment (my checkbook is sitting to the right of my computer telling me I'm broke as a joke the computer is telling me there is no money to build my project that I can't get the numbers to all work out for). Got to love being an engineer.

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Could it be that this thread is dying a slow death.

I demand that we maintain life support.

Serpent
01-30-2003, 03:57 PM
This thread is making think of the movie PI. You guys seen that?

(PI as in 3.14, not PI as in Magnum, Margie ;) ).

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 04:10 PM
stuff...

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 04:29 PM
hey a kfo pop quiz...

who was the first member to refer to honorable respectable member Gene Ching as "General Ching"?

(in truth its not a quiz, i dont know the asnwer, just wanna know cos i cant remember, was a long time ago)

Serpent
01-30-2003, 05:24 PM
General Ching? Must be you cos that's the first time I heard it.

Serpent
01-30-2003, 05:24 PM

serpuss.

One with less characters :p

7ass.

:)

Volcano Admim
01-30-2003, 05:27 PM
SevenManiacFists

http://www.memphis-schools.k12.tn.us/admin/tlapages/volcano.htm

dezhen2001
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
**** volcano... think pink was too you... :p

dawood

eulerfan
01-30-2003, 07:15 PM
What, huh? numbers? where? where's numbers? *pant*

Serpent
01-30-2003, 07:21 PM
This thread has suddenly become completely unintelligable!

Serpent
01-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Here she is! Now, folks, feed her the numbers slowly or she'll gorge and pass out.

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 07:48 PM
six
six
six
(the number)
of the beast

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm more confused now than I normally am.

On a serious note - I have to give away kung fu for a while. My right shoulder is bung - I think I've done my rotator cuff in. Last night I trained for 1 hour, focussing on strikes and it nearly killed me. So, it's intense physio for me. Bummer!! :mad:

Strangely, BJJ doesn't affect my shoulder. I don't quite understand that. :confused:

dezhen2001
01-30-2003, 08:22 PM
hope it gets better soon man! im sure theres still plenty of other things you can work on :)

take care!
dawood

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 08:25 PM
General Ching? Must be you cos that's the first time I heard it.

dude, old schools people are supposed to remember this.
im not crazy, i confirmed with another old schools member that the term "General Ching" was indeed praticised before on this forum way back then.

dezhen2001
01-30-2003, 08:28 PM
guess im not old skool enuff :(

dawood

Serpent
01-30-2003, 08:35 PM
On a serious note - I have to give away kung fu for a while. My right shoulder is bung - I think I've done my rotator cuff in. Last night I trained for 1 hour, focussing on strikes and it nearly killed me. So, it's intense physio for me. Bummer!! :mad:

Strangely, BJJ doesn't affect my shoulder. I don't quite understand that. :confused:

Be really careful, dude. If I were you I'd lay off everything until you get it checked out properly. Just cos you can't feel it during BJJ doesn't mean you're not exacerbating the damage.

Serpent
01-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball

dude, old schools people are supposed to remember this.
im not crazy, i confirmed with another old schools member that the term "General Ching" was indeed praticised before on this forum way back then.

No dude, I'm pulling your plonker. I do remember the General Ching days, but I have no idea who or why. My memory isn't that good!

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 08:46 PM

Be really careful, dude. If I were you I'd lay off everything until you get it checked out properly. Just cos you can't feel it during BJJ doesn't mean you're not exacerbating the damage.

All true.

The only chances I'd wreck it in bjj is:

a) someone who doesn't stop when I tap
b) someone who goes to hard when wrestling.

I tell all my partners about the injury and they've been good so far.

As far as kung fu - the majority of the strikes in the system require displacement of the scapula and shoulder rotation and therefore PAIN! When doing standard boxing strikes there is no discomfort.

Now, to find a good physio. Chiro hasn't helped nor my TCM doc. It's been crook for ages now.

Where's that phone book?

Serpent
01-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Cool man. Just be dayum careful. It's too easy to make an injury chronic and permanent.

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 08:53 PM
so, mkay

this is Galileu, he was smart, cool and sweet

Serpent
01-30-2003, 08:58 PM
6.66 One Hundredth Of The Number Of The Beast.

Check it out! (http://www.salmonhater.net)

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Cool man. Just be dayum careful. It's too easy to make an injury chronic and permanent.

Yeah.

I think it will be a good journey.

Considering my current studies - I may learn some good stuff.

Xebsball
01-30-2003, 09:12 PM
sweeeet :D

Serpent
01-30-2003, 10:08 PM
It's gonna take the world by storm.

eulerfan
01-31-2003, 06:16 AM
Six is the smallest perfect number. It's the sum of all it's own positive divisors.

1+2+3=6

Hai_To
01-31-2003, 07:35 AM
So 666 would be triple the perfection.

Kind of makes you wonder what those Bible writers were thinking, huh?

norther practitioner
01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
666 Would only seem to be the triple....
18 would be the real triple (err, here it comes)

@PLUGO
01-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Have we resorted to posting picture of our pets? (http://tathata.org/~patricky/petra/DogPix/PetraSmile.jpg)

Hai_To
01-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Well it depends on your point of view. What about: 6 x 6 x 6 = 216?

norther practitioner
01-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Looking at it 3d or linear....intresting paradox. Sounds about the size of my freshmen dormroom.

Chang Style Novice
01-31-2003, 12:57 PM
From left: KC Elbows, Ryu, and Chang Style Novice (http://www.domdominion.com/gallery/baggmidori/source/2003-01-30_01-25-03.html)

eulerfan
01-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Of course, we could be erroneously assuming that the Devil uses base ten.

rubthebuddha
01-31-2003, 05:48 PM
wow. looks like i was right all along. :)

GeneChing
01-31-2003, 06:51 PM
http://www.martialartsmart.com

Sorry, the original site that I posted here got hacked by a porn site. Apologies if that offended anyone.

FatherDog
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
And Gene can sleep better tonight knowing that, somewhere, he's killed an epileptic.

Xebsball
01-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Helping pump up the thread

Felipe had found this and posted on emptyflower:
http://www.doitbig.org/Group_X_video.swf

funny stuff :D

if it gives a bandwith error, try this mirror
http://www.reyndogg.com/video/Group_X_video.swf

TaoBoy
02-01-2003, 12:52 AM
I've cracked 1,000 posts.

Yay for me!!

SevenStar
02-01-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm more confused now than I normally am.

how did you injure it in the first place?

SevenStar
02-01-2003, 01:20 AM

7ass.

:)

crap, shepent, I guess you won... I can't get any shorter than that. According to euler, you can get way shorter though... :p

Scythe
02-01-2003, 05:23 AM
what the hell is this thread about???????

Kristoffer
02-01-2003, 01:04 PM
weed

TaoBoy
02-01-2003, 04:48 PM

how did you injure it in the first place?

I think it was a result of using too much 'geng' when striking in the air when I was a little more inexperienced. It started as some pain around the scapula and has now migrated up to my shoulder. The joint 'clicks' when I do overhead dumbbell raises.

It's not good. I will be getting it seen to this week.

Xebsball
02-01-2003, 05:19 PM
thought id share

(Boxers Rebelion)
Illustration from a french publication of 1899 that shows the assassination of two army officers commited by a group of boxers.

SevenStar
02-01-2003, 05:32 PM
That's too bad - hopefully it's not an injury that will become chronic.

Sho
02-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Illustration from a french publication of 1899 that shows the assassination of two army officers commited by a group of boxers. In simple terms: FRENCH PROPAGANDA
They made the officers look too defenseless! :eek:

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 12:21 AM
That's too bad - hopefully it's not an injury that will become chronic.

Only time will tell.

Therapy starts soon.
I just hope I don't have to give BJJ and weight-training away as well.

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 12:47 AM
:( hopefully not.

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 02:49 PM
On a brighter note - I'm handing in my resignation metter today. Both scary and exhilirating (sp?) at the same time. And I s'pos I can take solace in the fact that it will cause some trouble for my current manager who has been causing me trouble for a while.

David Jamieson
02-02-2003, 03:06 PM
it's official, this thread is large enough now to be called a "rope".

the Got Qi girls are still the number one attraction of Kungfu qigong forum!

way to go!

CHEERS

Serpent
02-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Of course, we could be erroneously assuming that the Devil uses base ten.

Of course! The devil is in technology. He uses binary!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 05:56 PM
On a brighter note - I'm handing in my resignation metter today. Both scary and exhilirating (sp?) at the same time. And I s'pos I can take solace in the fact that it will cause some trouble for my current manager who has been causing me trouble for a while.

So what's your plan to put food on the table while you finish your various training?

Bar work? Prostitution?

Maybe you could become 7*'s new pimp.

Serpent
02-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
it's official, this thread is large enough now to be called a "rope".

the Got Qi girls are still the number one attraction of Kungfu qigong forum!

way to go!

CHEERS

How cool are we?

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 06:06 PM
pretty cool, im wearing a jiu-jitsu t-shirt with some dude doing a mata lećo on another dude, thats cool... right?

i got this from a guy i knew that did bjj, he found it laying somewhere on his school, hoping to keep it to himself but since it didnt fit his size he gave it to me. I only wear it at home mostly, cos i dont wanna look like some bjj thug you know, mostly.

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:25 PM
You just wanna be a kung fu thug?

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 07:28 PM
nah, kung fu ladiesman :cool:

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Like that would ever happen.

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 07:36 PM
soma***** grappler, stop blocking my chi

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 07:42 PM

So what's your plan to put food on the table while you finish your various training?

Bar work? Prostitution?

Maybe you could become 7*'s new pimp.

I'd love to pimp out Sevenstar but Xebs is too much trouble already. Have you tried pimping out a Brazilian in a BJJ t-shirt. It's tough work.

My plan of attack is try to find work at:
- reception/cafe at a fitness centre
- a bar somewhere
- a kitchen somewhere
- a retail outlet somewhere

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:46 PM
soma***** grappler, stop blocking my chi

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:47 PM

I'd love to pimp out Sevenstar but Xebs is too much trouble already. Have you tried pimping out a Brazilian in a BJJ t-shirt. It's tough work.

My plan of attack is try to find work at:
- reception/cafe at a fitness centre
- a bar somewhere
- a kitchen somewhere
- a retail outlet somewhere

And you will still have time to train and study? The troublw with bars is that the opening hours usually coincide with training hours. The retail thing could be a goer, but there go your weekends! :eek:

I'm not being an arse, I'm genuinely curious about it all.

Well, I am being an arse, but I can't help that. (SevenStar, shadduuuup!)

Chang Style Novice
02-02-2003, 07:48 PM
I lied about the folks in that picture upthread, btw. That's actually Sevenstar, Ryu and Xeb.

Now you know why Taoboys the brokest pimp anywhere.

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Can't be Sevenstar. We know he's a little black dwarf cos Water Dragon posted his pic many times. Either that or Taoboy's make-up artist is a genius.

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 08:17 PM

And you will still have time to train and study? The troublw with bars is that the opening hours usually coincide with training hours. The retail thing could be a goer, but there go your weekends! :eek:

I'm not being an arse, I'm genuinely curious about it all.

Well, I am being an arse, but I can't help that. (SevenStar, shadduuuup!)

Ahem.

First preference is work in a fitness club. Hours will be variable but that's okay. I'll be aiming for the opening shifts.

Second preference is work at a cafe/bar that is predominantly open in the daytime.

My training is at night and on the weekends and I also have school one night a week and two afternoons. There's heaps of time to work with.

*crosses fingers - marches forward*

Serpent
02-02-2003, 08:24 PM
You can do it!

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 08:26 PM
good luck man, finding jobs is hard so i hope u can get a good one!

im looking for #2 right now :D

serpent: your pm box is full...

dawood

Serpent
02-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Try again in a minute, mate.

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 08:41 PM
*crosses fingers - marches forward*

I had to use this now (thanks Gene for pointing out the great power this sentance carries):

"Raising my eyes to the skies I shout in my vigorous aspiration."

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Can't be Sevenstar. We know he's a little black dwarf cos Water Dragon posted his pic many times. Either that or Taoboy's make-up artist is a genius.

I gotta make it a point to find all those pics of me and have them deleted...

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 08:46 PM

I gotta make it a point to find all those pics of me and have them deleted...