PDA

View Full Version : To teach or not to teach, that is my question

MonkeySlap Too
10-13-2002, 07:33 PM
I've been enjoying the past few years, which have consisted of mostly training with like minded people - skilled sorts. My students back East have commented on how much I've improved since I have focused on myself rather than teaching.

But now I have a hole in my schedule - and there's a nice park full of tai chi and qi-gong types I can hide my club in. My question is - is it worth it to run a class that is only one day a week?

Will I be able to find actual students? Since I left the granola chewing part of the bay area, I figure there must be some people who will want to train.

Thoughts anyone?

Skarbromantis
10-13-2002, 07:50 PM
Go for it!

I train only once a week with my Sifu, and do alot of solo training during the week.

Im sure there are some people with busy lives that can only spare one day during the week, at least they get a good work out and can have the chance to learn some MA.

Skard1

SevenStar
10-13-2002, 08:08 PM
do it, but screen them - with only one day a week, they need to be the type that will do something on their own.

guohuen
10-13-2002, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I'd go for it. One day a week is better than nothing.

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2002, 09:07 PM
You said you had "students back east," Monkeyslap.

If you've had "actual students" before, Monkeyslap, chances are that you'll have actual students again.

apoweyn
10-14-2002, 09:11 AM
depends on why and how you want to teach.

there have been times when i thought it was a mistaken. and times when i thought it was a good decision. depending a lot on my motivations, the students, and other circumstances.

but as huang said, you've done this before, yeah?

stuart b.

Dercetuas
10-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I taught in a park once a week a few years ago. I only taught a couple of people at a time and mostly taught one to one. It's very rewarding and if you open your class to a group of people you may find students who practise diligently between classes and you may find their dedication rewarding.

I live so far from my teacher (over 100 miles) that I hardly ever get the chance to train. But for the first year trained once a week for a whole day, occasionally a whole weekend. But still I train daily and teach Qigong and will soon be teaching Kung Fu again.

Royal Dragon
10-14-2002, 07:10 PM
I say go for it.

Look at me, I meet with one of my two teachers like once a month. On my own, I train as much as I can handle (As in LOTS during the summer, and not so much in winter).

If you teach, you will learn as well. ;)

Shadow Dragon
10-14-2002, 07:15 PM
I say go for it.

I myself only train with my Sifu once a week.

During the time when we are together I get corrections and receive new material to work on my own.

Most of our students are very dedicated and some come even as far away as a few hundred miles once or twice a month to train under him.

You need to make sure that your Students know that the time spend with you is only a small part of their actual training.

Cheers.

gazza99
10-14-2002, 07:25 PM
I decided to teach for one simple reason, after attending every class in the state I could find not one that impressed me, or taught something better than I already had.

I find it better to just train a few adults, and make it more of an informal atmosphere in which you learn and train together. Teaching the basics will force you to analyze even further every little nuance, and be more critical of yourself since you are responsible to be the example. You will find you will train and learn more on your own simply so you can help your classmates progress.

I Also tell them to explore every other option, keep their eyes open, and if they can find a better teacher in the area I will be happy to sign up for the class with them.

They also are aware I keep myself progressing via video tape correspondence, and am corrected either in person or via tape every 6 months on my personal progression, but Im 10 years ahead of them so they dont really seem to care .

regards,
Gary R.