PDA

View Full Version : Western medicine takes a shot on dim mak field.

Former castleva
10-14-2002, 10:47 AM
http://martialarts.about.com/library/weekly/aa033102a.htm

Article on such.

guohuen
10-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Myself and others have already stated our public displeasure with Kelly on another forum. He could not come up with a reasonable explanation for writing this book and making it available to the general public. I'll say it again. He is very irreponsible.

IronFist
10-14-2002, 06:19 PM
"Commotio cordis (cardiac concussion) is sudden death resulting from blunt impact to the chest--without causing any heart injury. To cause commotio cordis, a blow has to strike the chest at precisely the millisecond between heart contractions. The blow doesn't have to be very hard--in one case, a young boy died after his father poked him in the chest."

That ****ing sucks. :eek: :eek: :eek:

IronFist

gazza99
10-14-2002, 07:17 PM
RE: "Myself and others have already stated our public displeasure with Kelly on another forum. He could not come up with a reasonable explanation for writing this book and making it available to the general public. I'll say it again. He is very irreponsible"

So are you against the sale of knives, baseball bats, guns, large sticks, and any other object that doesnt need much thought or training behind to kill someone with? I certainly do not think that his book is going to contribute to a growth in murder rates, especially considering its scientific depth.

It may however educate Martial artists on the strikes they are currently training in, and the damage they can really do. Ive been to classes in which vital point strikes were taught with the explanation of "just a good spot to hit", when that strike could have in fact resulted in death.

Take into account my obvious bias, but I think my arguement stands on its own.

Gary R.

Budokan
10-15-2002, 08:32 AM
I agree. The murder rate isn't going to go up appreciably (or even noticeably) just because this book is out.

KC Elbows
10-15-2002, 08:42 AM
In the modern world, if someone knew how to apply dim mak, the greatest service they could do is make public how to counter it.

Assuming there is a way to stop the effects, so-called dim mak experts not revealing it equates to saying "This knowledge is too deadly to spread, but I want to keep it deadly in case I want to kill anyone."

That being said, most of the blows that cause that are still somewhat substantial blows, not light touches. The poking is the only one that MIGHT have been soft of the ones mentioned, and fathers and sons roughhouse(see the I suck at grappling thread for more on the dangers of that), so the poke could have been very firm. So far, most of what I've seen still involves a pretty substantial blow.

guohuen
10-15-2002, 08:55 AM
I don't think the average little Shiitehead that saves his lunch money should have easy access to a book that explains in detail how to kill someone. I support anyones right to write such a book, just as I support my right to call them an a$$hole for doing so.

KC Elbows
10-15-2002, 09:05 AM
I respect your view guohuen, but I think it's a foregone conclusion in the modern age that information gets out. Eventually, everyone gets access. We can all get swords for the most part. And bows. Handguns and assault rifles, well, we can find them. On a larger economic level, there will likely be a day where everyone will have nukes.

I think it is more productive, if you are a person with knowledge on the subject, to educate on the ways to counter such attacks.

GeneChing
10-15-2002, 09:09 AM
The probability of commotio cordis is pretty low. I mean think about it, if it was probable, we'd be dying left and right when we spar. Dim Mak could easily fall under many of these 'freak' deaths. For example, a well placed strike to the xiphiod process (the point and the base of yoru sternum) could pop it off and send it into your liver. In the old days previous to modern surgery, that might kill you in a few days - very dim mak like. There are certainly more types of those strikes, but like the xiphoid, you'd have to hit it just right.

dwid
10-15-2002, 09:12 AM
I guess the implication is that you need to cultivate the sensitivity to "sense" the heartbeat of your victim in order to apply pressure at precisely the correct moment? Calling that dim-mak seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Former castleva
10-15-2002, 09:19 AM
I guess the good thing remaining is that it still is not,fortunately,not that easy to light the fire of that knowledge.
But I guess the same thing you said travels pretty much with MA too these days,itīs not just for those few elitist ones,itīs been a small while since it really started slipping towards west and so on.
BTW listening to you fellows reminds me of a similar issues.
Just some days ago some disturbed young man (university student in chemistry) managed to deliver a bomb to a store around here resulting in 6 deaths and 60 wounded people...
It is believed that besides his studies he also got notable information from readily available sources (also known as www) Yeah,it happened in this country,it is considered a major accident (and crime) in local standards.
:(