PDA

View Full Version : One more computer question. please help

IronFist
10-14-2002, 05:39 PM
This drives me nuts even worse than my computer freezing.

Ok, I use I.E. I have looked through all the option tabs 100 times and I can't find the option to disable this, but it only happens on MY computer and not anyone elses so I KNOW there has to be an option somewhere.

Ok, whenver a page loads something new, that IE window becomes the active window. So, say I'm typing this post now, but in another window I'm loading another page (hotmail or something), when the hotmail page loads a little bit, it will pop up in front of this one that I'm currently typing in. Then I have to click back to this one. Then when it finishes loading it will become the active window again and I have to click back to this one AGAIN. This sometimes happens every 5 seconds as I usually have a few IE browsers open at once.

PLEASE tell me how to fix this. There has to be a "become active window upon refresh" or something option I can uncheck somewhere.

Please. I'm about to smash my ****ing computer in.

IronFist

neptunesfall
10-15-2002, 06:58 AM
no clue, sounds like a major pain in the ass though. maybe you could try minimizing the wondows instead of having them cascaded?

neptunesfall
10-15-2002, 06:59 AM
windows.

Ish
10-15-2002, 07:32 AM
i have that exact same problem and it really p!sses me off too. hopefully someone will know how to stop it, if its possible

yenhoi
10-15-2002, 07:50 AM
What version of windows are you running? What version IE? Any sleepers running? (Like that dumb ****ing gator program.... SETI watch, etc....?)

Start by turning off cookies and java, and see if that helps, then turn them back on.

'course without cookies and java, KFO might not work, dunno.

ewallace
10-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Does this happen when you have only one IE window open and then say Microsoft Word open where it will switch from Word to IE when the page is done loading?

KC Elbows
10-15-2002, 08:01 AM
Actually, that happens to me.

Of course, you don't see me whining about it here now do you? Maybe if you did a few less curls, you could extend your arm out to the mouse, and just right click that minimize button. C'mon, I know you can do it!:p :D

txwingchun
10-15-2002, 08:10 AM
Use the opera web browser.

ewallace
10-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Use the opera web browser
That is the worst piece of advice I have ever heard. Ever. Please do not support these kinds of products. Folks like myself do not need any more variations of web browsers to develop for. If you truely value your web experience you will not support these 3rd world products.

:)

FatherDog
10-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi

'course without cookies and java, KFO might not work, dunno.

KFO works fine without Java. Turning off cookies messes with all the login/member features, though.

wooha
10-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Does it happen with all web pages? Because it's possible for a web designer to use some Javascript that will make their web page do that. I don't know if hotmail is designed that way, I don't use it.

SevenStar
10-15-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ewallace

That is the worst piece of advice I have ever heard. Ever. Please do not support these kinds of products. Folks like myself do not need any more variations of web browsers to develop for. If you truely value your web experience you will not support these 3rd world products.

:)

agreed. until there is more compatibility across browsers you punks are only making my job harder. looks good in netscape, crap in IE, but doesn't show in netscape on a Mac.... *sigh*

KC Elbows
10-15-2002, 09:17 AM
I think that eWallace and SevenStar have forgotten who's in charge here. We're the customer, and youse our *****.

Vive l'Opera!:D

IronFist
10-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
Does this happen when you have only one IE window open and then say Microsoft Word open where it will switch from Word to IE when the page is done loading?

Yes. It always becomes the active window itself no matter what the current active window is... Microsoft Word, Snood, Minesweeper, anything.

I hope you know the answer now.

Wooha, yes, it happens with all webpages, even ones without javascript.

IronFist

yenhoi
10-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Ironfist:

what
verson
windows
and
ie
?

sevenstar and ewallace:

if the rest of you punks would just write for IE, we would have no problems!

**** mac and netscape users, there should be a clinic for such types of people.

txwingchun
10-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Ironfist:

what
verson
windows
and
ie
?

sevenstar and ewallace:

if the rest of you punks would just write for IE, we would have no problems!

**** mac and netscape users, there should be a clinic for such types of people.
well until M$ developes an IE for us linux users we're stuck with Netscape,Opera or mozilla. But I agree that MAC users do need clinical help:D

ewallace
10-16-2002, 06:21 AM
But I agree that MAC users do need clinical help
Hey, graphic designers have feelings too you know. :rolleyes:

TkdWarrior
10-16-2002, 06:44 AM
i think it's much better option if u know coding and code it by urself... diplomatic talks :D :p
-TkdWarrior-

Jamesbond_007
10-16-2002, 07:48 AM
Ironfist:
I have had the same problem with IE version 6.0 running on XP and this is how I fixed it. The problem started to occur shortly after installing Imesh. Imesh installs abunch of extra little programs like gator, some addons to your browser and application advertisments to your PC. Look through your add remove programs and remove any of these programs.

lotusleaf
10-16-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Yes. It always becomes the active window itself no matter what the current active window is... Microsoft Word, Snood, Minesweeper, anything.

I hope you know the answer now.

Wooha, yes, it happens with all webpages, even ones without javascript.

IronFist

No it doesn't..Not on my computer. Running windows 2000 and IE 6.0

lotusleaf
10-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
This drives me nuts even worse than my computer freezing.

Ok, I use I.E. I have looked through all the option tabs 100 times and I can't find the option to disable this, but it only happens on MY computer and not anyone elses so I KNOW there has to be an option somewhere.

Ok, whenver a page loads something new, that IE window becomes the active window. So, say I'm typing this post now, but in another window I'm loading another page (hotmail or something), when the hotmail page loads a little bit, it will pop up in front of this one that I'm currently typing in. Then I have to click back to this one. Then when it finishes loading it will become the active window again and I have to click back to this one AGAIN. This sometimes happens every 5 seconds as I usually have a few IE browsers open at once.

PLEASE tell me how to fix this. There has to be a "become active window upon refresh" or something option I can uncheck somewhere.

Please. I'm about to smash my ****ing computer in.

IronFist

The only thing I could suggest is upgrade your windows security updates, service packs...etc. and upgrade your IE version as well.

ewallace
10-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Jamesbond_007 is on the right track.

Something is causing IE to take application focus priority over every other application. I am looking to see if there is some kind of registry setting that can be changed if it isn't another program that's doing it.

I'll let you know if and when I find anything out.

IronFist
10-16-2002, 10:25 AM
When you do I would appreciate it. I almost killed my computer last night after it froze 3 times, and that IE window that just popped up 5 seconds ago when I was typing this isn't helping anything. Good thing I've become fast at hitting alt+tab when the IE window pops up so I can get back to this one almost instantly.

IronFist