PDA

View Full Version : Clive Potter

urban tea
10-15-2002, 01:39 AM
Is Clive Potter any good? Any videos of him on the net?

Frank Exchange
10-15-2002, 03:36 AM
He is my instructor.

He has been doing WC for 32 years, was a direct student of Wong Shun Leung, and was one of only 3 people directly authorised to teach the WSL method in the UK. The others were Nino (who has left the country), and Anthony Khan, the other head instructor of the WSL UK association, who doesn't currently teach.

There are no videos of him on the net. When we come back from Hong Kong in November, I will be posting video footage of us training. Get your DivX players downloaded.

Is he any good? I think so, but I am hardly unbiased, else I wouldn't still be training there after 6 years. WSL obviously thought so, and I imagine you would value his opinion more than mine. ;)

Can he teach and pass on WSL's ideas effectively? Most definitely yes.

The best thing is to come to the class and see what you think. It is friendly and informal. If you want to watch, join in, touch hands, or chisao you are more than welcome.

www.wongvingtsun.co.uk

vingtsunstudent
10-15-2002, 03:40 AM
hi frank
just thought i'd let you know that bill will be there in november, as far as i know he will also be at the thing in fatshan as well.
vts

Frank Exchange
10-15-2002, 03:52 AM
Cheers, mate.

I'll look out for him. :)

stuartm
10-15-2002, 04:35 AM
Hi 'Frank',

I have had a few e-mail exchanges with him and he seems a nice bloke. If the likes of Alan Gibson also thinks so then thats good enough for me. One of my students is in Uni in Herts and i have recommended that he keeps up hid training Sifu Potters class. I know there will be slight difference but as long as hes getting quality training then that suits me.

Are you going to Ip Man Tong? I will be there with two of my students as well as about 30 others from the Samuel Kwok association - it would be nice to meet up with yo and Sifu Potter in HK or Foshan. Im flying from Heathrow on the 6th November? What about everyone else here??

Best Wishes, Stuart

Nat from UK
10-15-2002, 05:18 AM
My teacher trains privately with him on a regular basis as well, he rates him as one of the best in the UK, in particular his technical knowledge and ability to break things down to the 'nth degree.

I have seen a bit of footage of Clive on video and I was very impressed. It was footage of a SLT workshop he held.

I hope to personally make some of his workshops in the future - apparently I have recently missed one on footwork. (Where were you Frank Exchange, I was hoping for a bit of warning ;) )

Nat from UK

Frank Exchange
10-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Sorry, Nat, I should have let you know. I am not entirely sure how promoting that sort of thing would be taken by the mods here on the forum, but I do see others schools doing it, so maybe I will post a message for the next one.

Stuart, we are flying out on the 3rd November and staying for 7 nights. Will be at Fatshan saturday for the ceremony and coming back to HK sunday morning. We have a regular HK trip in November, so were luckily able to fit in the mainland trip at the same time.

It would be good to meet up, maybe if you contact Clive and see about our itinerary we could arrange it. Most of the evenings we will be training at the WSL student schools in HK, particularly Cliff Au Yeung's school in WanChai. Otherwise we will hook up at the ceremony. For the record, my real name is James Webster, I use Frank 'cos it makes me sound older and wiser. ;)

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
10-15-2002, 08:51 AM
It's perfectly alright to post info on upcoming seminars that your kwoon may be having.

urban tea
10-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Is his student Darren Izaazechk good? How long has Darren been training there?

Frank Exchange
10-16-2002, 03:20 AM
Darren was pretty good the last time I chisaoed with him.
He has moved to San Diego, due to family committments, and I understand is promoting the WSL way over there. Clive did a seminar there earlier in the year.

I cant remember off hand how long he has trained, but it is probably in the region of 3-5 years.

As before, the real way to find out is to visit Clive or Darren, if you are in the area, and see what you think for yourself.