PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Viper555
10-15-2002, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about the different ways people train for the martial arts.I work the whole body about every day while other people work one part of the body a day.

Ex.
I work out the legs,abs,and arms in a day while other people will work on arms one day,legs the next,and abs the next.

Which one do you do and why do you think it is the better way to do it?

Viper555
10-15-2002, 03:00 PM
????????

Viper555
10-15-2002, 03:20 PM
Am I the only one here who works out?

eulerfan
10-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Upper body and abs one day, lower body and abs the next. You're supposed to tax your abs but everything else needs rest between workouts. When you work out, you tear your muscles. You have to let them heal.

Silumkid
10-15-2002, 03:28 PM
No Viper....I just got to your thread.

I was doing total body workouts for a while, three times a week, but have recently changed to a split routine. Currently I am 4 days on with the following split:

Mondays: Chest, Shoulders, triceps
Wednesdays: Back, Bis, Legs
Friday: repeat Mon
Sat: repeat Wed

abs and cardio each training day

LEGEND
10-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Depends on your goals. I'm trying the body building rout for VANITY purpose. If u're a MMA playa u need to do more powerlifting or bodyweight type exercises. Split routine are more for body building...but if u look buff...who wants to fight u???

Viper555
10-15-2002, 04:47 PM
I'm going to try splitting it up and see how that works.The way I see it,if you split it up you don't need to have days of rest where you don't work out since the muscles get a day or two to rest before they are worked again.I hate the days that I rest on.It's so boring and I have nothing to do so I figured if I do this I wont have that problem anymore.BTW,i'm doing this to get in shape for the most part but I wouldn't mind looking good at the same time :) .What are some bodyweight exercises that you can do to work out your back?

Oh yeah, eulerfan:so you should work your abs every day without resting them at all?

EDIT:Almost forgot,my exercises are all almost body weight exercises and the ones that aren't I do on a powerlifting program.

rubthebuddha
10-15-2002, 04:57 PM
viper,

supermen work the lower back. basically, you're laying on your tummy, and you lift your shoulders (don't focus on the head, but it will come up, too) as high off the ground as you can.

you can do several variations of this:

1. lift your legs up at the same time, and your weight will balance on your navel area.
2. lift one leg up at a time -- it's good to do this for coordination.
3. lift no legs up, and focus entirely on the back. lifting the legs as well works the ass.
4. stick your toes under a couch to brace you -- this lets you get your shoulders higher.
5. stick your hands behind your head, à la situps, or out straight "up" (well, up if you were standing). the further your hands go out, the harder it is to do because more leverage is required at the fulcrum (lower back)
6. put a light dumbbell on the back of your neck.

gimme 100 of these, done with proper form and a 10-lb dumbbell on your neck, and life is good. :cool:

oh, and stretch lots before and after this, especially if you've never done them before.

SevenStar
10-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan
Upper body and abs one day, lower body and abs the next. You're supposed to tax your abs but everything else needs rest between workouts. When you work out, you tear your muscles. You have to let them heal.

You can work your body every day. It depends on the program you're on and what you're trying to achieve.