PDA

View Full Version : We/kfo have been recognized (as trolls) !

Former castleva
10-16-2002, 10:39 AM
http://www.philelmore.com/hate/avoid.htm

Not that IŽd care but check it out.
:confused:

KC Elbows
10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!

I went to the link that related to this forum, thinking it would take me to a deeper explanation of his feelings, and it took me...TO THIS FORUM!!!:D

I think I've spoken with Sharp Phil in the past, from what I recall, he's a decent guy.

At the same time, I don't agree with the philosophy on forums. At some point, I think people have talked long enough to bring up things other than kung fu.

Oh well, at least he's got a link to us.;) :D

ewallace
10-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Funny. I don't know why he is angry with Martial way. If it's in the Terms of Service and you violate it there really isn't much room to complain. Some people just take stuff far too seriously.

rogue
10-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Phil is OK, he's just learned that he can score free books by giving reviews on his site. Guess he's trying to branch out and get some free stuff from martialartsmart. :)

Qi dup
10-16-2002, 12:45 PM
I think Gene should challenge him to a death match.

SifuAbel
10-16-2002, 12:51 PM
? All Weightlifting Boards Everywhere
I don't know why, but every weightlifting discussion forum I've ever seen has been a troll-infested, ****erotic disaster area. Well, okay, only most of them.

Badger
10-16-2002, 01:15 PM
"Good concepts burdened by too many juvenile posters."

He's got that right.

GeneChing
10-16-2002, 02:48 PM
...I mean, it's a FORUM. A public meeting place for open discussion. And wake up people, John Q. Public is a dumb troll. Really, what do you expect after decades of network TV and fast food?

Fortunately there are enough good people here to make up for it. And I feel the good posters really make an effort to educate old John Q. Troll, or at least to give the rest of us a laugh now and again.

Former castleva
10-16-2002, 02:51 PM
I see.
Thanks everyone.

KC Elbows
10-16-2002, 02:54 PM
All of the best kung fu teachers I've ever seen with a couple drinks in 'em did about as good a job staying on topic. Never mind those who enjoyed an occassional doobie.:eek: Talk about off on tangents.:D

David Jamieson
10-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Phil puts a lot of effort into his vintage whine :D

he's made some good contributions here though.

Gene~ you are correct sir....cheeseburger?

peace

rubthebuddha
10-16-2002, 03:52 PM
don't forget the chalupas and ... oh ****, seinfeld is on in three minutes! hurry hurry hurry!

Royal Dragon
10-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Hello,
As every one knows, I can often be an internet Who*re when it comes to goofy stunts to get some traffic (Ok, ANY traffic) on my forums.

In yet another sad attempt to do this, I sent the following letter to Sharp Phil.

Hello,
I was wondering if you would help me out with some reverse marketing. I have several forums at http://www.dreamwater.net/biz/royaldragon/forumlinks.html

Do you think you could include them in your "AVOID THESE FORUMS" list?

The excuse could be that they are boring or something, or even site the fact that I am shamelessly trying to use you to market them??

Thanks,

Gian

Yet, in one more really sad attempt to get some traffic to my site, I then posted this first sad attempt here in the hopes of getting a few laughs, and "Someone" to visit my little forums. :p

Stacey
10-16-2002, 04:29 PM
speaking as a juvenile poster, this place would be boring without a little humour now and then.

NorthernMantis
10-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
? All Weightlifting Boards Everywhere
I don't know why, but every weightlifting discussion forum I've ever seen has been a troll-infested, ****erotic disaster area. Well, okay, only most of them.

This one is funny too

You know, Billy, as a certified Chef I'm also qualified to teach sniper tactics and knife fighting. Did I tell you about the time I was abducted by ancient Egyptian ninja?"

PHILBERT
10-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Here is how I view it.

Kung Fu Forum is troll central, we come here for the fun stuff, the bizaree, the off topics.

Shaolin, NPM, Southern Chinese Arts, WC, JKD, etc. Those are where we go FOR our questions about Kung Fu, etc. The main KFO board is the discussion board. The fun place.

If this site had no trolls, it'd turn out like E-Budo. Not dissing E-Budo, love the site, great stuff, but it has more adult humor than just plain craziness humor.

OdderMensch
10-17-2002, 12:18 AM
they have disected a thead rouge started to explain why "styled" MAs are insignifigent when compared to the power of the SCARS!

Former castleva
10-17-2002, 05:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
Yeah,I agree some humour is not bad at all,some sites have their own sub-forums for such stuff while they are mostly "clean".
And martialtalk that was mentioned,quite a clean/good board in my opinion.

GeneChing
10-17-2002, 09:33 AM
A forum without trolls is like a Kwoon without challengers. Nothing to test character. Trolls give us the kick in the pants to keep us honest. They test our ablility to be calm in the storm.

Kung Lek - Don't call me sir. And could you toss some bacon on that cheeseburger?

KC Elbows
10-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Yeah Kung Lek, he prefers Mr. Ching.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I like the community here. Hell, if the conversation were strictly limited to shaolin, mantis, etc, the only forum I might actually get some conversation on would be the street fighting one, as no one else here does the style I do, so it would be sort of the one hand clapping thing, or something like that.

Hell, the stuff I do is southern, but most of the southern forum is devoted to other stuff that doesn't relate all that much except in the most superficial way. And it's internal, but again, I'm the only stylist who does it on here.

Anyway, in the long run, I suspect I'll benefit most from knowing lots of good martial artists in the sense they would go out and shoot the **** with me. Then they'll get all drunk, and I can trick them into teaching me their 100 step dim mak.:D

David Jamieson
10-17-2002, 04:41 PM
did i say sir?

sorry I take that back. I will now rephrase

Gene~ you are correctemundo duder. Bacon slathered Cheeseburger?

peace

Leonidas
10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
Haha.......he said duder

GeneChing
10-18-2002, 10:06 AM
KC, you said it, brother! There is some really great research here every once in a while, but mostly its a social club for people with similar interests, like bacon cheeseburgers. Make mine a double and wait until this recent ecoli outbreak subsides. BTW, do you know why there's no Mad Cow disease in the U.S? We don't test for it. Mad Cow tests are not required by our country. Maybe that explains our increase in Alzheimer's....

neptunesfall
10-18-2002, 10:08 AM
that could also explain the rise in the number of Mad Cows

Sharp Phil
01-07-2003, 07:04 AM
I don't write reviews to "score free stuff." I write reviews because I like to learn and I like to share what I've learned with others who haven't had the time or the money to obtain the materials in question. When I see a good product or service that I think is worth having, I like to let people know so they can acquire it for themselves. When I see something that's not good, I like to warn people off. I view the martial arts section of my site as a public service to the online MA community -- not something that does anything for me personally.

The "list of forums to avoid" changes at my whim and doesn't stay the same for long. All forums have personalities; this one, while it is worth a look from time to time, certainly is infested with trolls. I think anyone looking at the forum honestly cannot help but observe that. But why would anyone care that I think that or thought that at the time?

I'm not angry at anyone, incidentally; I really don't take these things seriously. :)

red5angel
01-07-2003, 07:20 AM
"I was abducted by ancient Egyptian ninja?"

Him too?! My wife still doesn't believe me!

Sharp Phil
01-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Those ancient Egyptian ninja (http://www.philelmore.com/martial/hikutahand.htm) get around more than you might think. ;)

red5angel
01-07-2003, 07:59 AM
hehe, yet another web site on hikuta!!! I had never even heard of it until I started visiting this forum, so there you go Sharp Phil, this forum has something to teach all of us. :D

Sharp Phil
01-07-2003, 08:06 AM
Jack Sellner, a Hikuta instructor, gave me a lot of grief for daring to question Hikuta and for giving the Hikuta book and video relatively negative reviews. Personally I think I deserve credit for helping to publicize the art. :)