PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a new workout

zen_celt
10-16-2002, 12:37 PM
I just moved and wasn't able to bring my weight set with me. I was wondering if you guys could help me design a full body program to keep strong and fit before boot camp(my focus is muscular and cardiovascular endurance). I don't have access to weights or a gym...all I have is myself, some basic furniture, and a floor. Any ideas?
-ZC

Kempo Guy
10-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Do tons of 'hindu squat' or 'deck squats', pull-ups, chin-ups, one-legged squats (if your knees aren't in bad shape), a lot of push-ups (different versions like hindu, wide, narrow, handstand etc.). Also do some HIIT training (hi intensity interval training).

For a full on workout, see
Scrapper's website for ideas. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/) I really recommend his workouts.

KG

Mr. Bao
10-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Zen:

There is a couple of choices you can make about exercise. You definitely dont need dumbbell or irons to get a workout but it would help if you had it tho.

There is a couple of great reference which cost very little but worth the investment. Juan Carlos Santana, a strength coach, has an awesome body weight training program tapes called "

Mr. Bao
10-18-2002, 05:35 PM
i am sorry...

"THE ESSENCE OF BODY WEIGHT TRAINING VIDEO SETS- THE FORGOTTEN WORKOUT"

Two tapes (79.95)

Tape one covers biomotor drills, agility, balance, upper body power strength and power.

Tape two covers lower body strength and power training, total body strength, power, core, and neck.

You get get this at www.performbetter.com.

These tapes were way better than Matt Furey's combat fitness book. But I would also recommend his book too if money is your issue. (www.mattfurey.com)

Good Luck friend.

You might want to get a chin up bar, the ab wheel, and a stability ball, and a jumping rope for your basic body weight exercise tools.

Your friend,

Bao

Silumkid
10-18-2002, 05:35 PM
If you are concerned about getting ready for the demands of boot, such as the PFT, here's my suggestions:

Sit-ups
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Run

This is what your PFT score will be based on. You may be able to call your recruiter and get the requirements and testing parameters. I believe that for push-ups, you will have one minute. Sit-ups, 2 minutes. Pull-ups are to failure. Run is a three-mile timed. Remember, this is what was done when I was in back in 1989...things may have changed a bit.

Anyhow, if you want to be good at these things, you must train these things. I am a big believer in sport specificity. Example, you wouldn't tell a guy wanting to set a world record in squat to go swimming for his training. While it may be a good addition for endurance, it will not transfer much to the actual squat.

Hope that helps.

Cyborg
10-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Silumkid, yes things have changed somewhat since then. Just ask the recruiter, he'll probably work with you before you join anyway.

As for the sport specificity, I respectfully disagree. To some extent anyway. Pavel cites a study in which kettlebell users improved more in pushups, situps, long jump and a short (2k) run than those who trained in those things. In order to punch harder, would you do nothing but punch or would you weight train as well?

Z-C, you can do dips with chairs. Put your feet up on one and hands on another and have fun... oh yeah, I know the Marines are now doing crunches instead of situps. Good luck.

abobo
10-18-2002, 06:49 PM
The trick to the pullups and running is to be able to go from one to the other without getting out of breath.

You might try some circuits of pushups, pullups, situps, combined with your running. i.e run a couple laps, do X number of pushups, repeat.

I'm also partial to swimming for building up endurance.

Maybe some hiking to get use to carrying gear?

I believe we are talking about the Army, not Marine PT.

Silumkid
10-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Cyborg,

You won't get any argument from me...in fact, I am a huge advocate of weight training. Maximal strength absolutely helps in pretty much any athletic endeavor. But, since zen-celt said he didn't have access to any, I gave what I felt was the best answer for his situation.

I'd be interested in knowing what the current PFT changes are. Anybody got that?

Cyborg
10-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Sorry, I failed to remember that. :(

zen_celt
10-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Kempoguy- Thnaks for the site, I like it...good workout plans.

Mr. Bao- Thanks for the references. I just got a jump rope so I'll try to teach myself that(I never learned how to jump rope as a kid and hate it).

Silumkid- I already took my PFT for the Army and passed so I get a one rank promotion(and pay) before going to Boot. I was lifting according to Pavel at the time and jogging most everywhere I went, doing MA every day...it was great. Now that I have moved and no longer have a dojo or weights, I'm trying to set up a program to stay in shape and improve endurance before I ship in February.

Abobo- Thanks, I didn't think about the hiking...I'll try that, there's acamp site a couple blocks away from me with some trails I can jog to and hike...thanks for the idea!

Cyborg- I think I'll have to do that. I was reading some stuff on body weight exercises and found those, pushups using three chairs(one hand on each chair and feet on the third chair) but that might mess up the shoulder-I'll try it and see.

I also found Pavel's push up program and will use that, horse stance training and your guys' ideas(thanks).

The Army PFT requirements for a promotion BFEORE Boot for males 18-20(my age group) are these:

push ups-45 in 2 mins
sit ups- 60 in 2 mins
2 mile run- under 15:54mins

This is not what is required to get into Army Boot Camp, but it is required to get the promotion before Boot. Of about 70 people there, I think maybe ten of us passed. To get into Boot Camp, you need to do around 13 push ups, 20 sit ups and run a mile in 9 or 10 mins. I'm not too sure about these reqs because I knew I could pass them so I didn't bother checking them.

Again, thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.
-ZC

Kempo Guy
10-21-2002, 03:20 PM
zen_celt,

If you're already familiar with Pavel and you have access to some dumbells, I suggest trying his Kettlebell routines. They are great and gives you a pretty complete workout.

His "hit-the-deck" push-up program is pretty good. It's GtG (grease the groove) with push -ups. I did it for two weeks and it killed! People in my office thought I was nuts. I've used GtG to good effect with pull-ups as well. Another routine you may want to try are "ladder" type workout (which Pavel recommends) or take Coach Reeves' density training approach for some of your exercises.

KG