PDA

View Full Version : Who was Wong Fei Hung's Teacher?....

RAYNYSC
10-16-2002, 04:04 PM
I am curious to know who was his teacher?....
I've been told 3 different name's....
1 Wong Kai Ying
2 Lum Fook Sing
3 Luk Ah Choy

Peace:D

HuangKaiVun
10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
I'll bet that when it REALLY comes down to it, Wong Fei Hung was Wong Fei Hung's teacher.

Stacey
10-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Wong Kei Ying....jeez don't you watch movies

Brad
10-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I would guess that his dad(Wong Kai Ying) taught him alot :)

RAYNYSC
10-16-2002, 08:07 PM
I would have to agree that (Wong Kai Ying) did teach his son (Wong Fei Hung) but was it the Hung Gar system.?....If not who was his Hung Gar teacher?....

Peace :D

CLFNole
10-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Wong Fei Hung's primary teacher was his father Wong Kay Ying. Wong Kay Ying learned from both Luk Ah Choy and his father Wong Tai.

Wong Fei Hung was supposed to have traveled with his father and was able to learn from other masters during their travels. This is where the "iron wire" form is supposed to have come into their line. I believe it was learned from a student of Tit Kiu Sam.

Peace.

RAYNYSC
10-17-2002, 05:56 AM
I believe Wong Fei Hung learned the iron wire from Lum Fook Sing who was Tid Kiu Sam's student.

Jables
10-17-2002, 10:41 AM
I always thought it was Wong Kei Ying.

Ben Gash
10-17-2002, 03:42 PM
Most histories say that initially he learned from Luk Ah Choy (his father's Sifu), and then continued with his father after Luk's death.
Interesting about the iron wire.

loki
10-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Luk Ah Choy could not have taught Wong Kay Ying, let alone Wong Fei Hung. Luk Ah Choy was a contemporary of Hung Si Kwan ( Hung Hei Gwun ) and Fung Sai Yuk. He was one of the Ten Disciples of Shaolin, not to be confused with the Ten Tigers Of Kwang Tung. He was one of the lay Shaolin disciples who escaped the burning of the Shaolin Temple in 1644.

Wong Kay Ying and WongFei Hung lived during the late 1800's to early 1900's. If Luk Ah Choy taught Wong Kay Ying he would have to have been over 200 years old. That would have to have been some really good Kung Fu :D Wong Kay Ying may have seen Luk Ah Choy as a very young child but it is very doubtful he could have learned anything from him. Wong Tai is said to be Wong Kay Ying 's dad but that could be wrong. Fei Hung may have learned some Kung Fu from his dad but his main teacher was Lum Fook Sing. Fook Sing was a student of the famous Tid Kiu Sam who created Hung Gar's very famous internal advance form Tid Sin Kuen or Iron Wire (Thread ) Fist.

RAYNYSC
10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Hey Loki,
Interesting point there about Luk Ah Choy!....
I guess thats something to think about.... lol :D
I mean after all when was the last time you seen a 200 year old person & talk to them let alone having them teach you something....lol:D Thanks for the info everyone....:)

CLFNole
10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
All the hung gar lineages I have seen show Luk Ah Choy - Wong Tai - Wong Kay Ying - Wong Fei Hung. So someones dates must be wrong somewhere there.

Didn't to different Shaolin Temples burn down maybe thats the confusion with the dates and years.

The thing about Fong Sai Yuk, I heard that he might not have been a real person but is something like Robin Hood, a folk legend.

Peace.

loki
10-18-2002, 10:09 AM
The confusion seems to stem from the fact that many of the southern Kung Fu system's histories have been influenced by their ties to underground secret societies. Hung Gar founders were Ming loyalists who were fighting against the Ching government. It is from the Triads or Heaven and Earth society that most of what we know about the Fukien Temple comes from. Yet, if we are to believe what they say about the temple then we must also believe that when the temple was burned down the fleeing monks were saved from the wrath of the ensuing soldiers by two angels sent by Bodhidharma, one with an iron plank, the second with a copper plank. With these planks the angels constructed a bridge which created an avenue of escape for the monks. Another part of the tale purports that a peach handled sword erupted from a grave and on the handle were engraved two dragons fighting for a jade with 4 characters that translate into "Overthrow the Ching and Restore the Ming." The sword was used by Hsiu Ying who was the widow of monk-General Chun Ta. She struck the sword in all directions and cut off "countless" heads.

Sounds like something out of CrouchIng Tiger, Hidden Dragon to me. Yet this is the story that has been passed down and the primary source of the Fukien Shaolin Temple.

Also, at fault for the perpetuation of this myth is a series of fiction novels called Sword Man. In these novels, not only is there a Fukien temple, there are many other Shaolin Temples all over southern China as well! Fiction folks , nothing but fiction.

R.W. Smith's book "Secrets of Shaolin Temple Boxing" is another culprit, primarily responsible for spreading the myth to the west. This book was based on works claiming to present authentic Shaolin boxing but turned out to be outright fantasies. The name of the book used by Mr. Smith is "Secrets of Shaolin Internal Work".

The bottom line is that there is no concrete evidence that there ever was a second Shaolin Temple, let alone others. The Shaolin temple in Northern China is the only one that is documented in the history books and is still standing to this day. I am aware of the claims that the southern temple site has been found but how can we trust the Chinese government about these claims? (That's another topic altogether)

Hence, only one Shaolin Temple, burned in the mid to late 1600's. Luk Ah Choy was a student either at the temple or in southern China where Gee Sim probably fled to after the temple was burned. Wong Kay Ying and Wong Fei Hung were around during the 1800s so again, Luk Ah Choy could not have been their Sifu.