PDA

View Full Version : Run, or squat?

chyisan
10-16-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm trying to loose some fat. Should I focus more on running, or resistance training? Running is good for cardio and fat burning, but squats and leg presses increase muscle mass and testosterone levels, which both help fat burning. So which should I do more of?

IronFist
10-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Depends on your goals.

IronFist

Kempo Guy
10-16-2002, 06:15 PM
I agree with what IronFist says above.

I personally recommend doing 'Kettlebell' type workouts. (I know I always recommend these...:D) Do a search on 'Kettlebell' on this forum. There's been quite a few threads on this already. I can guarantee and attest that you will loose fat and gain strength in your legs, back and shoulders with the KB workouts. Of course it's not for everybody... ;)

KG

Qi dup
10-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Both. Of course I still like the idea of jumping hindu squats. Is your primary goal just to lose weight?

iron thread
10-16-2002, 09:17 PM
If you'd rather knock someone out, squats. If you'd rather be able to withstand from being knocked out, running. If you'd like both, you do the math.

IronFist
10-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Why not cycle both?

One month cycle of squats, one month of running, etc.

Hmmm I guess there's a chance your metabolism might not allow you to make significant progress like this but it's small.

How about this. Rank these in order of desirable traits:

Leg Size
Leg Strength
Endurance

That will dictate how you structure your program, and how sore you get the day after :)

IronFist

Kempo Guy
10-16-2002, 09:39 PM
IF,

You're way to practical for me bro... :D

KG

IronFist
10-16-2002, 11:04 PM
KG

I'd probably recommend kettlebells, too, but I've never used them before :)

IF

10-17-2002, 06:55 AM
Chyisan, Is it just your legs you are concerned about?

chyisan
10-17-2002, 11:45 AM
No, I'm not worrying about my legs. They are fairly strong. I just want to loose fat.

IronFist
10-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Run or kettlebell then.

Squats and weightlifting won't burn fat.

IronFist

guohuen
10-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. Dam you Kempo Guy! Now I have to buy kettlebells.:D

jun_erh
10-18-2002, 11:20 AM
I run. Besides all the rhetoric, it actually has alot of practicality. I'm the only one who runs in my class and I have alot more energy, which translates into better form, or maybe I need to start picking up heavier weights for the drills.

I think weight loss comes more from diet. I used to run like four miles every day and was still overweight!! The trick for me was eating at night: don't do it! People say you burn off calories when you sleep, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Don't eat after dinner, you will see a difference.

abobo
10-18-2002, 01:59 PM
You can squat one day, then run the next for recovery. Active rest, no? So, in between gym days I usually run (or swim seeing as my membership pays for the pool). Seems to me that it's a fine way to go about things barring the following conditions:

a) You like to run with high intensity (all out sprints) or for long periods ( I would qualify this as longer than 40 minutes), which decreases the recovery benefit
b) You are an athlete who runs enough during practice
c) You are trying to bulk up and can't afford to burn a precious calorie outside of the weight room

What about plyometric jumps? I've read that they are overrated, but I would think that they would couple the cardio benefit and speed strength benefit. I do box jumps, and it feels like a speed squat (only safer).

tiger2dragon
10-21-2002, 10:37 AM
You can get a fantastic cardio and fat burning with squats if you use the right program. If you are interested please email me and I would be glad to send you one

Kempo Guy
10-21-2002, 11:37 AM
guohuen,
You're quite welcome. :D

Odie-wan
10-23-2002, 06:55 AM
I'd say do more running than lifting. Lifting definitely has it's benefits but I have found NOTHING that burns fat like running. Don't kill yourself by trying to be a track star either. Just go to the park, jog for 15 minutes, turn around and jog back. Do this 3 times a week while you listen to the radio and you'll burn lots of fat and (eventually) get more energy. You'll get more tired for the first week but your body will stoke up the fires if you keep with it.

A word of warning. If you are overweight, make sure you wear GOOD quality running shoes or you'll kill your arches and won't be able to run anymore without pain. Take care of your feet, run for 20-30 minutes, 3 times a week. IMO, the amount of time is more important than how far or how fast.

Sean

Kempo Guy
10-23-2002, 07:46 AM
If burning fat is the greatest concern I would suggest a combination of both weightlifting and cardio (running).

For running I would suggest as Odie-wan to run three times a week, you could alternate days with lifting. In regards to a running program I would recommend using a HIIT-routine (high intensity interval training) or even a simple program such as the 'high point' technique as shown in the book "Body for Life", either way your cardio workout do not need to exceed 30-minutes per session.

KG