PDA

View Full Version : Yenhoi

MightyB
10-07-2002, 01:58 PM
I just started doing something kind've fun... I've been doing some forms with my boxing gloves on. I mostly do the Chin Wu basic stuff since it's pretty much impossible to hook with 14oz boxing gloves on. The idea is to be able to pull off some traditional kung fu moves in a San Shou ring. I think it would be a nice touch. San Shou pretty much is thai-pro-wrestling anymore, and it would be cool to do some kung fu in the premiere kung fu competition format.

Just thought I'd share this.

The B :)

yenhoi
10-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Excellent.

Do you consider your sensitivity level high? Regardless, I would like to know how wearing the gloves affects your sensitivity..... practicing your forms as well as all of your other drills with gloves on would seem to be the only way to carry your sensitivity over to the ring.

MightyB
10-08-2002, 05:53 AM
"Do you consider your sensitivity level high?

No.

Right now it feels it a little awkward. I'm still in the process of adapting to the gloves. I still practice boxing and kickboxing fundamentals with the gloves pretty heavily, but, like I said, I'd like to use kung fu in the San Shou ring so I'm practicing a couple of forms with the gloves on. So far, Su Fan Che is my favorite with the gloves on. Goon Lay Kune is allright too. Some isolated movements out of Jeet Kune (the Chin Wu basic form, not to be confused with Bruce Lee's thing) feel good.

yenhoi
10-09-2002, 10:06 AM
I am unfamiliar with the forms you mention, I only know 2 forms, from Wing Chun.

Is your sensitivity high, without gloves?

How does your sensitivity translate when sparring... with gloves (if you sparr often..)

My sensitivity is not high by any means, and I find that without skin to skin contact, none of it translates when wearing gloves while sparring, but i never practice with gloves on.

Are you planning on doing your kung-fu drills with gloves on? Do you think this would be training your sensitivity, with gloves on?

MightyB
10-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Yenhoi,

My sensitivity is ok on moves that I'm comfortable with, but my Sifu always has us push our limits on what he's teaching, so I feel like all thumbs and two left feet on most days.

I think that if you plan on entering the ring or doing some serious sparring, then you should wear the gloves that you'll be using since you'll get more familiar and comfortable with them. So, yes drilling with gloves on would be beneficial if you are going to compete with them on. This isn't anything new to boxers. I found out that so called "bag gloves" are only used by non-boxers and that boxers regularly train with gloves that are equal to, or bigger, than what they will be using in the ring.

I only know one Wing Chun form which is Sil Lum Tao (probably spelled it wrong). I like it and find it to be very "internal". I actually practice it quite often. I don't know if that would be a good one for practicing with gloves on though. The forms that I mentioned before are very long fist. They work well with the gloves on.

yenhoi
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
So I tested my questions with my bag gloves, then my sihings UFC style gloves, then another sihings focus mitt gloves, then a couple of other pairs of gloves. The problem with all these gloves is that my wrist is wrapped and supported - limiting my range of motion and ****ing me off.

Do San Shou gloves support the wrist? How about Pride gloves?

I couldent make it through either of my forms properly with the gloves that I tried.

MightyB
10-17-2002, 05:11 AM
San Shou gloves are regular leather boxing gloves. Wrist support depends on how you wrap your hands and what type of glove that you have. Mine are slip-on, so there is little wrist support, but I imagine the lace-up and hook-and-loop style have more wrist support.

Again, UFC style gloves depend more on the vendor for how much wrist support they have. For example, the ringside or title boxing MMA gloves are basically knuckle covers with little wrist support.

You have to modify a little to get through a form. I parry or deflect instead of du sau when I use my gloves. My whole thing is to just to get as used to the gloves as possible. It was a B.itch to fight with them on the first time because I wasn't used to them. They still feel awkward, but it's getting better.

yenhoi
10-17-2002, 06:35 AM
For competition, its only safe to wrap your wrists, I guess.

I will consider modifying the gloves, or my technique.

MightyB
10-18-2002, 05:49 AM
My absolute favorite sparring gloves for when I practice 7* sparring at my kung fu school are the TC2000 Tiger's Claw gloves from MAMart, item number 10-030 for $20.89.

No BS, I really do like 'em.:D