PDA

View Full Version : Where??

youshang
10-17-2002, 05:59 AM
:confused:
This may have already been asked, and addressed, if so, where? If not, then, where? Where are the defence's for takedowns in tai chi?
I understand that the best use of this as a fighting art is from a standing position, but what do tai chi combat teachers suggest as defence against takedowns? Or is it just a case of training in a grappling art too? :confused:

Walter Joyce
10-17-2002, 07:58 AM
http://www.tai-ji.com/chenZhaoKui/photo1.htm

http://www.tai-ji.com/chenZhaoKui/photo5.htm

Taiji IS a grappling art, ever heard the phrase chin-na?
Visit the sites above and see for yourself.

MonkeyBoy
10-17-2002, 08:52 AM
What an excellent series of photos.

I couldn't find images of Gim or Jian usage on the site, does it have any photos of swordplay?

Walter Joyce
10-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Not that i'm aware of, sorry.

youshang
10-18-2002, 05:12 AM
Nice pictures, tough to see what's goin' on in some of them though. I wasn't aware that taiji incorporated chin na, sorry, somewhat ignorant there.

Is chin na practical on the ground? Again, apologies if I should really know this.

Walter Joyce
10-18-2002, 08:43 AM
The photos can be viewed individually as well. I have not completed a comprehensive study of chin-na, so I'm not sure about ground fighting there. Tim Cartmell would probably be a good person to ask.

stormmountain
10-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Tai Chi can most certainly be applied to the ground, although that is not the main focus.

I second the check out Tim Cartmell thought.

Tai Chi is actually all about infighting with an opponent, you don't make distinctions between grappling and striking as much as other arts.

One defence against takedowns, or at least the "shoot" kind is called "pull down" it's one of TaiChi's 8 main powers.

HuangKaiVun
10-25-2002, 09:55 PM
In my push hands training with Jiang Jianye, takedowns in push hands were an everyday reality.

A lot of the push hands drills we did fostered reflexive responses to any type of maneuver.

Jiang was particularly skilled at a drill in which you could push his body and he'd contort so that you'd lose your balance. I spent quite a few hours losing my balance against him before I learned to root myself and go back and forth with energy.

To every move we did, a counter was expected. I could - and still could not - tell you in advance what I'd do, but I'd just flow into the next move based on the reflex drills I worked on.

Ground, seated, standing, jumping - doesn't matter.

stormmountain
10-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Jiang Jiang Ye, isn't that the guy with all the videos out in Tai Chi Magazine?