PDA

View Full Version : Why I really quit martial arts:I've just had it explained to me.

rogue
10-17-2002, 09:50 AM
http://forums.delphiforums.com/testing12345703/messages/?msg=303.1

I find it strange that this person was talking to me when I wasn't even there.:eek:

Check out the rest of the site of this pathetic little cultist, uhhh I mean SCARS professional, to find out why your art doesn't work!

To: ALL (1 of 3)

Predictable... Kungfoolss
(M/Sunny Hawaii) 10/8/02 7:51pm

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.
OK, As of tonight I can't think of a reason to stay with the martial arts in a formal way. In other words paying for training.

1. Self defense: After several years of martial arts I know enough to handle myself in the street against most.

KFss- This is the danger of the martial arts, it gives a false impression of confidence. My partner brings this subject up quite regularly when he discusses the validity of the stylistic arts. One example he loves sighting is how women he has spoken to take a TMA or even tae bo (Billy Blanks, my partners former instructor), and are filled with a false confidence resulting from the deluge of propaganda they receive from their undereducated martial arts instructor. After training in the SCARS system, he now realizes the fallacy of the arts, he's actually worse than me, he openly mocks the stylistic arts in public, being a considerate man, I am a bit reserved unless otherwise asked.

In addition, the very concept of defensive will always crumble under the onslaught of a offensive fighting structure; and it is not necessarily SCARS related, just an individual that attacks rather than defends himself from harm.

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.
2. Health and fitness: I get a better workout by hitting the gym and doing my usual routine.

KFss- The martial arts exercise are little more than overglorified calisthenics, many intended for unnatural fighting aspects of the art, such as, bruce lee kicks above the chin and flying kicks.

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.
3. Comptition: I don't have the time to dedicate to compete in the ring.

KFss- Why in the world would you want to? Sparring is a complete wasteful venture, you learn nothing expect bad habits in fighting mechanics and it is simply dangerous because both stylists are lashing out in speed fueled by fear.

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.

4. Fun: It stopped being fun about two weeks ago. Suddenly sparring is more of a chore than the joy it used to be.

KFss- Again, sparring teaches little, you can't safely perform high coordinational movements or lethal sequences. Only the retarded find value in playing an adult version of tag.

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.
5. Sense of accomplishment: Learning another form and a handful of techniques for a belt just seems silly to me at the moment.

KFss- THANK YOU! You hit it right on the money Rogue, forms/katas, or as I prefer to call it, idiotic ceremonial dance routines coupled with some worthless techniques, doesn't make a proficient fighter, let alone a professional one. At least someone gets it and is honest enough with himself to state the truth, that my fellow members, takes courage.

rogue
Grand Pooba

Quitting martial arts.
I think I'm going to take a break from class and just do what I want, when I want and visit some other schools. I guess I've hit burn out.

View Full Message

Options Reply

To: ALL (2 of 3)

293.2 in reply to 293.1

Kungfoolss, proven right again by the stylists themselves... Kungfoolss
(M/Sunny Hawaii) 10/8/02 7:51pm

Recapping->

KFss- Why in the world would you want to? Sparring is a complete wasteful venture, you learn nothing expect bad habits in fighting mechanics and it is simply dangerous because both stylists are lashing out in speed fueled by fear.

KFss- Again, sparring teaches little, you can't safely perform high coordinational movements or lethal sequences. Only the retarded find value in playing an adult version of tag.

fa_jing

I was thinking of quitting last night
Since I got rocked 2 weeks ago, I felt little effect after a couple days. But Sunday night, I did some very light sparring. That was enough to give me headaches and make me start feeling out of it. Now I feel wierd and part of my scalp tingles from time to time. Clearly sparring is out for 6 weeks or more. I'm in this for longevity, among other things.

Yet it is essentially a violent practice, I mean equivalent to tackle football, hockey, etc. Some guy just came out with a book on having a healthy brain, and he advises to avoid head trauma like the plague. Some studies show that a large percentage of Alzheimers patients have a history of head trauma. My grandfather suffered from Alzheimer's.
And MA is awfully expensive for my limited means.

Options Reply

To: ALL (3 of 3)

293.3 in reply to 293.2

Kungfoolss, proven right again by the stylists themselves...2 Kungfoolss
(M/Sunny Hawaii) 10/9/02 6:51am

KFss- What the stylist is actually implying is that he knows he can't possibly learn anything of value from his continuing loyalty to his bumbling master, this is similar to a dead-end job. When advancement is no longer practical, you must abandon that fruitless path. Sadly, this is the common variable for all martial arts, each are limited to their insight and knowledge, this is the reason the arts are often renounced.

When you contrast this with SCARS, one can never truly tire of the SCARS system. The learning is never ending and ever evolving. With intellectual application and a motivation for improvement, the SCARS participant can easily exceed the expectations of even the SCARS founder himself. Whereas the stylistic arts impose limitations on knowledge for their own self-serving reasons or out of sheer ignorance, the SCARS system cannot be bound by any restrictions, the laws of science will not allow it.

HuangKaiVun

I've been following your posts for quite some time, rogue.

I think that you NEED to get away from class.

As a professional martial arts instructor, I recognize when people get to a point where I as a teacher cannot take them any further. After a while, one must go his own way.

In your case, I wouldn't even suggest private lessons. You really KNOW your style - there's little a teacher can show you.

Ryu
10-17-2002, 10:11 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahaahah!

:D Well I was a bit in a bad mood from too much thinking of the "bad entertainment" thread, but this brought me back to my old humorous self! Thanks, guys.

Ryu

SevenStar
10-17-2002, 10:23 AM
he can't really believe what he's posting....can he? Who is that guy?

Felipe Bido
10-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Oh, Ryu went ahead of me and posted what I already had copied...

That piece us the BEST part of the thread...it opens new grounds..he's a GOD...

Of course...Royce would choke him and the whole thread!

eulerfan
10-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Hah. Striking and blocking are BOTH feuled by fear. If somebody is coming at you, you'll react out of fear. Call it blocking, striking, or underflugenberhen. You're doing it out of fear.

Man, this is a freaky thing, here. Why is this guy so obsessed with ma's? I think he's taken the idea of being offensive and not defensive a bit far.

A group of people who get together to talk about how much they hate something that isn't really hurting them. That can't be healthy.

Waidan
10-17-2002, 11:00 AM
I think it's called "Pulling yourself up by pushing others down". If you can't find something good to say about your art, you could always bash someone else's. What a *******.

edit: okay, the censorship here is getting just a bit silly.

BSH
10-17-2002, 11:24 AM
While I disagree with rogue's opinion, it is understandable. If your training doesn't provide you with anything you couldn't get on your own, why pay.

The problem is that rogue has given up on finding a school where he can actually learn something valuable. It is understandable because, in my opinion, less than 1% of the schools in the U.S. have anything of value to offer.

dwid
10-17-2002, 12:09 PM
And everyone on KFO is part of one of that 1% of schools. This forum is truly a statistical anomaly.

apoweyn
10-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by dwid
And everyone on KFO is part of one of that 1% of schools. This forum is truly a statistical anomaly.

LOL

BSH, i don't think that's the problem. rogue's simply burned out. that happens.

stuart b.

White Minority
10-17-2002, 01:14 PM
"Sparring is an adult game of tag"

Maybe if you do taekwondo, the sparring will be a game of tag.

In muay thai we spar hard to full contact. You can't learn to fight without sparring. Can you imagine a wrestler who never spars? How good would they be?

I agree that the light contact "tag sparring" is worthless. But there are different kinds of sparring. Wrestling doesn't even strike when they spar at all but it is still great sparring. As long as your really trying to execute the moves on each other and not holing back when you do it. A real double leg is executed in sparring just like you would in a real fight.

Drill techniques to learn them. Then spar with the techniques to learn how to apply them in real time.

Former castleva
10-17-2002, 01:19 PM
Allright.Another ultimate better-than-yours style.
I´ve heard good stuff about SCARS though but this is ridiculous.
Always the same old pummeling and ramming the "best style" to your face.
I´m sure TMA ppl have respect for other ppl,how about vice versa?
That TMA pounding especially,is very interesting.
If based on steel hard superiority I guess one could,under some circumstances,to jump on styles with roots...
Simply pointing fingers at other styles with little intellectual sense and without actually telling what´s so strong about the other (name perhaps?) and then mocking the other (which actually has what "better" ones already do,and a lot more)
"Hey,we erased some of the old,laughed at it and made up this new"

:cool:

BTW,Kata-as in the old days,is no dance.
It includes tons of self-defense application,qi-gong and atemi-waza knowledge...
Some of old kata has been lost and in sport/competition,kata is more like a dance but that´s for that.
And oh yeah,they have practiced it since the old days,and there are reasons...
As far as I know,this seems to be one of those few things that TMA pounders like to rely on,as reasonable as it sounds.

White Minority
10-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Yup, I think you need to realzie there's different types of sparring.

You could even consider fighting in the street as a type of sparring.

mantis108
10-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Why am I having a feeling this guy is hard selling SCARS which looks to me like yet other incarnations of JKD?

Frankly, I am tire of people keep saying about style of no style. It's so darn 70s passé. Please give me a sell pitch of the 2000s or give me some peace and quite.

BTW, what is wrong to start with a style as long as you evolve with it? Anyone who has been in the arts long enough knows and understand that. Martial Arts Displines Nomadism is fine by me but I much prefer to have a home to go to. These Neo self defense deliverance/Post Mixed Martial Arts Messianism preachers just keep coming by the bushel. *Sigh*

Mantis108

eulerfan
10-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Hell, you could convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that SCARS is the best, most deadly......what, it's not a martial art, it's an 'offensive system' or some such nonsense. We have some sort of L.Ron Hubbard new vocabulary creation going on here. But, anyway, it could be the best possible way to defend yourself, bar none.

I'd still say this guy is an incredably sad character.

rogue
10-17-2002, 02:26 PM
The problem is that rogue has given up on finding a school where he can actually learn something valuable. It is understandable because, in my opinion, less than 1% of the schools in the U.S. have anything of value to offer. No offense, but please don't tell me what I'm doing or not doing.

Maybe if you do taekwondo, the sparring will be a game of tag.

In muay thai we spar hard to full contact. You can't learn to fight without sparring. Can you imagine a wrestler who never spars? How good would they be? It is TKD and we do spar hard without any gear except a cup. One reason the sparring stopped being fun is I was injuring people and I was getting injured too frequently. After sparring this way for about 3 years I know I can take damage and still keep on fighting, and lately I've learned that I can do enough damage to someone to make them quit a fight. There's a price to pay for trying to keep ones training somewhat real, both physically and emotionally, and the price was getting too high.

Did you guys find the reference to fa_jings drumming thread on the site? The guy used to post here as kungfulz if memory serves me.

rubthebuddha
10-17-2002, 02:53 PM
rogue,

well, at least you know where you sit now. i guess it's back to professional line dancing for you? ;)

Ben Gash
10-17-2002, 03:30 PM
This guy hasn't been in fight since he left high school.
"lashing out with speed fuelled by fear", um, that's how fights tend to go.
Yet another of these sad losers who seem to think that everyone who faces you in the street is going to be some highly skilled and experienced streetfighting ninja killer.
OK, I will say again, I have successfully defended myself from serious assault on more than one occasion. I have always used traditional techniques (often lifted straight from forms). I have kicked above the waist with the desired effect and would do so again if the situation called for it. I have sparred in just about everyway imaginable (including groundfighting with a 5 animals guy where I finished looking like Bruce Lee at the end of Enter the Dragon).
I think it's great that these guys don't spar. It's always nice to go up against someone who has no experience of being hit and doesn't know how to find their range, fend off an onrushing opponent or use their body up close.

Shadow Dragon
10-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Aaah, Kungfolss and SCARS.

Seen him ranting and raving for a few years now.

Keeps telling us that TMA is all rubbish, yadda, yadda .....

Rogue:

Simply get out of that forum, KF will hit you from now on wenever you post there or any other forum that he is part of.

Seen it happen before, if he is moderator on that forum you can expect to have your posts removed, be banned, etc.

Cheers.

rogue
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
B b b b b but I've never posted on his pathetic forum
! :eek: He steals threads from places and comments on them. The guy is such a panty waste that he doesn't even confront the people on the very forums he's getting his fodder from.

On the other hand his ramblings are really funny. I wonder if he talks to Jerry Peterson while watching his SCARS tapes?:D

Stacey
10-17-2002, 07:44 PM
if thats all you put into your martial art, or all your art offered then you have gained nothing and lost nothing.

you did TKD right? Thats like a fish stick compared to a well prepared salmon.

For me, I can't quit...I am kung fu. Its in my blood, in my breath. I cut back, but not to the detriment of my skills. I'm always moving forward.

Royal Dragon
10-17-2002, 07:55 PM
"! He steals threads from places and comments on them"

reply]
Dammmmmm!!, I never thought of that!!! Now I know what I'm doing wrong with my forum!!! I should be stealing topics off of other forums, instead of starting topics on my forum and posting links to them on everyone elses forums.:p

rogue
10-17-2002, 07:55 PM
For me, I can't quit...I am kung fu. Its in my blood, in my breath. I cut back, but not to the detriment of my skills. I'm always moving forward. And you still can't get a date.:p

No offense Stacey but put a few more years on your training and yourself, add a job, kids, a wife and a mortgage and then tell me that ...you are kung fu!:)

joedoe
10-17-2002, 07:57 PM
rogue is correct :)

dezhen2001
10-18-2002, 04:19 AM
hey a fish stick can taste just as good as salmon depending on how fresh, how they are cooked and what kind of food u like... i like both :)

man KF forums are a crazy place :eek:

thinking of my stomach again...
dawood

Kaitain(UK)
10-18-2002, 04:30 AM
I quit training 3 months ago, then started again a month ago once I'd established what I wanted to achieve

I don't believe training a different style would make any difference - burnt out is burnt out.

I strongly recommend a complete break including this forum - I've come back a lot fresher mentally and discovered a whole bunch of stuff to work on.

'once I was blind but now I can see' as it were :)

good luck anyway

Stacey
10-18-2002, 06:31 AM
no offense, but sweat buckets and do it for years thanklessly laquering yourself with pain and bitterness and it will be impossible. Fact is, when my problems add up, I know its time to increase my MA so the rest of my life becomes crisp and efficient.

quit if you want, anyone can hide behind their responsibilities, but if there is one thing kung fu has taught me its that time is relative and that time is made, not found.

I can get a date, and I'm not the kind of person that does things half assed or tries to justify thier failures.

My whole life in the martial arts, I have seen people flounder and quit. I've seen then fall away to this and that for a pletheura of reasons. And the one think that has kept me is perserverence and for that I have recieved tenfold what I have put into it.

if this isn't your experience, maybe its time you invested your energy into something better.
www.8step.com

apoweyn
10-18-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Stacey
no offense, but sweat buckets and do it for years thanklessly laquering yourself with pain and bitterness and it will be impossible. Fact is, when my problems add up, I know its time to increase my MA so the rest of my life becomes crisp and efficient.

quit if you want, anyone can hide behind their responsibilities, but if there is one thing kung fu has taught me its that time is relative and that time is made, not found.

I can get a date, and I'm not the kind of person that does things half assed or tries to justify thier failures.

My whole life in the martial arts, I have seen people flounder and quit. I've seen then fall away to this and that for a pletheura of reasons. And the one think that has kept me is perserverence and for that I have recieved tenfold what I have put into it.

if this isn't your experience, maybe its time you invested your energy into something better.
www.8step.com

"laquering yourself with pain and bitterness"?!

that's beautiful.

stuart b. (who still remembers what it felt like to believe that your pain and struggle were more real than anybody else's)

Ford Prefect
10-18-2002, 06:49 AM
Stacey,

I applaud your passion for the martial arts, but everything you gain from martial arts besides some fighting skill can be gained with other activities. Just because what is important with him doesn't jive with your opinions doesn't mean he's a quitter or you're the better man.

ewallace
10-18-2002, 06:53 AM
That's pretty easy to say when your responsibilities consist of returning Hitman 2 to the video store on time. Rogue mentioned wanting to spend more time with his family. That in and of itself is enough reason to quit martial arts all together. There are many things in life that are far more important than martial arts. Especially if your family is struggling to stay together...as mine is right now. The arts will always be there. Your family may not.

You should really "Time-Capsule" some of your posts Stacey. Print them out, bury them, and open them back up in ten years.

eulerfan
10-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Stacey,

You like to meditate?

Meditate on this: you have almost no idea who rogue is or what is happening in his life. You can't even see a tincture of his relationship with his family from where you are sitting. What meals are like for them, what their converstaions are like, if it's all good or there's some unnameable, unmentioned tension slowly building. You don't even know what it's like to have a family of your own much less be able to conjecture the steady, subtle intrusion of concerns about whether or not you are doing everything you can for them.

Or maybe they resent your leaving them to study MAs. Or, maybe they won't be able to resent you because you are their father. So they'll start sublimating. Or maybe it's all in your head but you don't care; you're just going to fu(king be there.

That, my friend, is just a few of myriad possiblities of what rogue is worried about.

We don't know.

YOU DON"T KNOW.

I want you to get Plato's Republic and spend the night with it. See what Socrates has to say about wisdom. If you claim to understand something you can't possibly understand, you are an IDIOT. If you pass judgement based on this false understanding, you are a CHILD.

The truly wise man understands that what he knows compared to what he doesnt', it's like grain of sand compared to a beach.

But you ignore that. With no idea of what rogue is going through, with the distinct possibility that it's something you can't even imagine, you are going to use what little he's said to you as a reason to pat yourself on the back and spout some purple prose about your own stick-to-iti-veness.

Don't you think that's a little bit opportunistic?

Ryu
10-18-2002, 09:00 AM
"stuart b. (who still remembers what it felt like to believe that your pain and struggle were more real than anybody else's)"

But MY pain and struggle IS more real than anybody else's! :(
It is I tell you! It is!

;)

Chang Style Novice
10-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Daffy Duck said it best: "I'm different from everyone else. Pain hurts me!"

Stacey is about at a Daffy Duck level of understanding the world right now. Considering he's apparently a none-too-bright teenager, that's not too surprising.

apoweyn
10-18-2002, 10:47 AM
But MY pain and struggle IS more real than anybody else's! It is I tell you! It is!

please!

let me tell you a little something about pain and struggle, pal:

where i grew up, on the mean streets of annapolis, some random guy--say, a tennis instructor during the off season--would just walk up and pop two caps in you just for your docksiders.

you could get killed for wearing the wrong-coloured sweater around your neck. (and by 'killed', obviously i mean 'ridiculed', but really badly!)

i watched so many guys... try to sneak into the country club... and not make it. you have no idea what that's like. [stare off meaningfully]

anyway, i've been premium aluminum sided by my experiences. have you?

stuart b.

rogue
10-18-2002, 10:54 AM
That's pretty easy to say when your responsibilities consist of returning Hitman 2 to the video store on time. ROTFL!

Thanks for the support all but don't beat down on Stacey too much. Once upon a time I was a teenager who took life very seriously. Life being playing in a band, girls (specially those experienced ones in their 20's), karate and wondering why my parents just didn't "get these things being important". Now that life is raising my sons, my wife, work and asking my dad why I just didn't "get these things being important" back then, I take a things with more of a grain of salt. The great part about life is that it happens to us all and Stacy will get his share before he knows it.

To paraphrase Stacey,
For me, I can't quit...I am DAD!

apoweyn
10-18-2002, 10:58 AM
For me, I can't quit...I am DAD!

well, i think that's just about the greatest thing i've ever read on these forums.

eulerfan
10-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rogue
ROTFL!

Thanks for the support all but don't beat down on Stacey too much. Once upon a time I was a teenager who took life very seriously.

Me too. But I had a bevvy of adults around saying, "PLEASE!! Get over yourself, ya little tyke. You are behaving like a moron."

Suntzu
10-18-2002, 11:41 AM
where i grew up, on the mean streets of annapolis... :D :D :D now that seals it… you're one bad hombre…

apoweyn
10-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
:D :D :D now that seals it… you're one bad hombre…

see? suntzu knows what i'm talking about. don't mess with me. i'm crazy banana republic guy!

rogue
10-18-2002, 02:59 PM
let me tell you a little something about pain and struggle, pal: Ap, thanks for giving me the experience of a sip of Starbuck exiting through my nose and not the usual way.:D

Tonight I'm going to take the child safety seats out of the Dodge Caravan see if my homies wives will let them come out, and raise a little he11 at Hooters. Maybe we'll even cruise up to Mary Land and take on Ap and some of his crew.:p

If my wife let's me that is.

rubthebuddha
10-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Ap, thanks for giving me the experience of a sip of Starbuck exiting through my nose and not the usual way.:D

Tonight I'm going to take the child safety seats out of the Dodge Caravan see if my homies wives will let them come out, and raise a little he11 at Hooters. Maybe we'll even cruise up to Mary Land and take on Ap and some of his crew.:p

this is just for you. :D

http://www.members.shaw.ca/LeesPlace/mansong.htm

No_Know
10-19-2002, 04:29 AM
Oracles, Psychoanalysts, Internet Forums

Stacey
10-19-2002, 09:13 PM
yaaaawn. I am monkey. I steal peaches, and all you gods get uppity about it.

Its feces hurling time!!!!

but back to your point, yes as a stupid teenager, I am sooo stupid that I think that by doing more tai chi and relaxing I get more done. What a moron I am, I have no real responsabilities like a real adult that validated by making offspring and worrying. What better way to feel productive than to worry. Perhaps if I worried more and impregnated a woman I could be so wise myself.. What the hell do I know. Lifelong endevors are easy to put aside. For instance, Einstein got bogged down and quit physics. He really did it off an on in his spare time, but then he had to worry about things and really didn't have time for math either. Hey, I'm a fool...I have these silly ideas that time is made by our efficiency and state of mind and not alloted. I have no concept of responsability to others because I can't see outside of myself. I have no concept of the real world. And I'm really too uptight and serious. Thats me to the letter. Not like people who get upselt when their percieved internet reality is disturbed by online gender. These people are layed back and wise adults who understand the extreme importance of their fantasies.

I want to thank you all for being so candid. How else can I learn to grow up and be like you?

rogue
10-19-2002, 09:28 PM
Perhaps if I worried more and impregnated a woman I could be so wise myself. If you impregnated a woman I'd be worried.

I have these silly ideas that time is made by our efficiency and state of mind and not alloted. Please tell that to your boss or clients.

But then again, you are Kung Fu!:p

Stacey
10-19-2002, 09:36 PM
for someone with no time for kung fu, you sure have a lot of time to talk about it. I put in 6 hours today and I'm tired so I'll go to bed.

My point is that because you spend your time jerking off at kung fu online, your not practicing. This is your choice. It has nothing to do with your clients. Your day is made up of 10,000 activities. Which are important to you? The things you must do can be done better and more efficiently. Time is made. Everything you do, you make time for. That is the most important thing to you at that time.

Your choice is to convince complete strangers that your not lazy, instead of working out.

boy you sure are smart. Well I tell ya what. You keep your tree of knowlege. This fruit from the tree of life tastesjust fine to me. Wanna taste?

rogue
10-19-2002, 10:24 PM
And to what purpose do you train 6 hours a day for?

My point is that because you spend your time jerking off at kung fu online, your not practicing. Please check the times I post. It's usually during a break at work or late at night after the day is done. If you must know I still practice TKD every day and still try to catch up with my Tai Chi friends to learn more of the long form, do push hands and spar some as often as possible. What I'm not currently doing is attending a school on a regular basis. One of the reasons for that is I want to practice certain parts of the art and get them right.

This is your choice. It has nothing to do with your clients. Many times when I'm online here is when I'm taking a break from working on a project for a client. That includes right now.

Your day is made up of 10,000 activities. Which are important to you? The things you must do can be done better and more efficiently. Time is made. Another name for a large part the work I do is efficency expert. After a while you can reach a point where a process can no longer be made more efficient or done better. It's at this point that you must look to cut needless sub-processes out. Also things don't happen in a vacume. Things outside ones control can cause changes and shifts even in the most efficient process bringing it to a complete halt. For example many companies that use the just-in-time business model are still trying to recover from the dock workers strike in California. One day when you hit the real world you'll learn that it's more about managing your life than controlling it.

Anyways time is not made. Time moves on no matter what and you can't recpture time that is lost. Just ask anybody in the hotel business.

Whoops it's 1:30 AM and I still have to get these changes that my client emailed me late Friday done. Thanks for the advice Stacey.:rolleyes:

eulerfan
10-20-2002, 08:49 AM

Lifelong endevors are easy to put aside. For instance, Einstein got bogged down and quit physics. He really did it off an on in his spare time, but then he had to worry about things and really didn't have time for math either. Hey, I'm a fool...I have these silly ideas that time is made by our efficiency and state of mind and not alloted.

Bah bah bah. Sorry.

a) Physics would fall under the rubric of JOB not HOBBY for Einstein.

b) He did make the conscious decision not to pursue quantum mechanics. Though he knew he could do great things for the science, he figured that he would be able to do more for physics if he concentrated on cosmology alone and didn't spread himself too thin.

People make these decisions, Stacey. Really smart people do it, too.

ewallace
10-20-2002, 07:40 PM

Its feces hurling time!!!!

but back to your point, yes as a stupid teenager, I am sooo stupid that I think that by doing more tai chi and relaxing I get more done. What a moron I am, I have no real responsabilities like a real adult that validated by making offspring and worrying. What better way to feel productive than to worry. Perhaps if I worried more and impregnated a woman I could be so wise myself.. What the hell do I know. Lifelong endevors are easy to put aside. For instance, Einstein got bogged down and quit physics. He really did it off an on in his spare time, but then he had to worry about things and really didn't have time for math either. Hey, I'm a fool...I have these silly ideas that time is made by our efficiency and state of mind and not alloted. I have no concept of responsability to others because I can't see outside of myself. I have no concept of the real world. And I'm really too uptight and serious. Thats me to the letter. Not like people who get upselt when their percieved internet reality is disturbed by online gender. These people are layed back and wise adults who understand the extreme importance of their fantasies.

I want to thank you all for being so candid. How else can I learn to grow up and be like you?

That is the most intelligent post I have seen from you Stacey. You really need to roll with that theme. :)

eulerfan
10-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Just a heads up. Ya'll may want to visit the link in the origanal post again.

Thier panties are in a twist about this thread.

Its pretty funny.

jon
10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Im really starting to like this guy.
Not only is he so self obsessive he manages to compleately disregard solid rebutals when shoved up his nose. He seems to also be compleatly unaware of just how hypocritical he sounds.
Im sure this will end up on his site edited and with some comment about my poor spelling and grammar:rolleyes: .

Have a crack at this lovely comment i just found lying around there site. This is a true cult in the making, seemingly the exact thinking they claim to be against:eek: .

"Thus, the SCARS Combat Fighting Forum becomes the lone Fire wall and the worlds last remaining hope in its patriotic struggle to stem and combat the rising tide of insurmountable evil now enveloping the planet. As our Great President would probably say,"

"You are either with us, or you are with the martial artists."

* That is the rantings of a purely disturbed man.
If his combat system was half as good as he seems to pretend he would not have the need to go bashing everyone else down.
Obviously his only means of justification for his own study is to try and pick faults in other styles dispite having absolutely no factual basis upon which to support his claims.

rogue
10-21-2002, 07:02 AM
Isn't it strange that we're talking about a guy's posts who's talking about our posts?:D

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2002, 07:13 AM
I don't mean to seem intolerant, but anyone who disagrees with me about anything is stupid, immoral, ignorant, lying to themselves and others, weak, wrong, ugly, bad smelling, and a child molesting nazi who should (and will!) be summarily executed when the Time Comes.

apoweyn
10-21-2002, 07:20 AM
Ap, thanks for giving me the experience of a sip of Starbuck exiting through my nose and not the usual way.:D

you're very welcome, my friend. :)

take on me and my crew, eh? your funeral pal. did you see the movie 'judgment night'? well, my neighborhood's like that... but with more yachts.

stuart b.

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2002, 07:24 AM
does SCARS offer a grammar module? they seem pretty **** hot on spelling - no dysloxic peepall their I rekkon :)

yenhoi
10-21-2002, 08:07 AM
I wonder if SCARs people accept challenges, or are thier techniques TOO DEADLY?

apoweyn
10-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Lifelong endevors are easy to put aside.

raising a family is a lifelong endeavor. as is cultivating a career that keeps that family safe and comfortable.

stuart b.

FatherDog
10-21-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I don't mean to seem intolerant, but anyone who disagrees with me about anything is stupid, immoral, ignorant, lying to themselves and others, weak, wrong, ugly, bad smelling, and a child molesting nazi who should (and will!) be summarily executed when the Time Comes.

I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage CSN to get involved in politics.

eulerfan
10-21-2002, 08:19 AM
Isn't it strange that we're talking about a guy's posts who's talking about our posts?:D

What's even stranger is that we're managing to troll a board without actaully posting on it.

rogue
10-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Now that is something!

Ford Prefect
10-21-2002, 08:48 AM
LOL @ Stacey! That's the funniest thing I've ever read. I really hope he prints this out so he can read it in 10 years.

dwid
10-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Yes, it's funny how perspective works.

I've been where Stacy is now. Between my freshman and sop****re years of college I had no other responsibilities than working enough hours to pay my very low cost of living. I probably had more free time than anyone should. In such circumstances it can seem like anyone with a little direction has their priorities all screwed up.

Now I'm in the process of applying to graduate school while simultaneously working full-time running a research project. I would challenge Stacy to find time in my day for 6 hours of practice.

Some priorities necessarily put themselves ahead of hobbies like my martial arts, because if you don't put them first you might as well not bother with them at all. Someday when Stacy aims for more meaningful work than helping customers choose between "paper or plastic," he/she will understand this.

KC Elbows
10-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Kungfools was posting on mcdojo about how all traditionalists are bad, and to prove his point, he put up a whole bunch of articles about rapes, each time the perp was a martial arts teacher. In an effort to get the forum weirdness to span as many boards as possible, I posted the following:

"Statistically, karate and tkd will have the most rapists because they have the most people, and generally, except for a few exceptionally large dogs, most rapes are commited by people.

"Apparently, no bad people have ever joined SCARS.

"Of course, one could point out that one member of SCARS likes to take posts from other forums, place them on his own forums, and then talk to the people as if they're actually there, usually in a way that plugs SCARS.

"Know what I'm talking about, Kungfoolz? The name Rogue ring any bells? Nice guy, he discovered that you were holding a conversation with him that he knew nothing about. Pretty frikkin weird, if you ask me.

"Does this mean all SCARS members are wingnuts?"

eulerfan
10-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Kungfools was posting on mcdojo about how all traditionalists are bad, and to prove his point, he put up a whole bunch of articles about rapes, each time the perp was a martial arts teacher.

Ever the ***** to logic, I have to define this. This is a logical falacy called 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'. It means 'after this therefore because of this' and is usually just referred to as 'post hoc'. A man commits rape after being involved in martial arts therefore the martial arts caused him to commit rape.

Your response is right on the money. You simply point out that the *effect would have occured with or without the *cause.

Ryu
10-21-2002, 12:56 PM
"I don't mean to seem intolerant, but anyone who disagrees with me about anything is stupid, immoral, ignorant, lying to themselves and others, weak, wrong, ugly, bad smelling, and a child molesting nazi who should (and will!) be summarily executed when the Time Comes."

:mad: Stop quoting me without my permission, CSN......

:D ;)

Rogue, I've also put the formal schools on hold, and instead have been for almost 2 years now working out non-stop with close training partners/students .... I really feel that I am much stronger and more skilled then I was before.... When the formal training has been done for a long time...... self training can become an epiphany.

Ryu

rogue
10-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey I can't get into guano for brains site anymore.

rubthebuddha
10-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan

Ever the ***** to logic, I have to define this. This is a logical falacy called 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'. It means 'after this therefore because of this' and is usually just referred to as 'post hoc'. A man commits rape after being involved in martial arts therefore the martial arts caused him to commit rape.

Your response is right on the money. You simply point out that the *effect would have occured with or without the *cause.

eulerfan -- i heard once that serial murderers often breathe oxygen. is this the case? cause if so, i'm gonna get worried.

aye, the whole scars thing is a joke, and just like mcdojos and such, those in the field who know their stuff (we presume it's us ;)) hate what these folks are purveying. but it's the same the world over in any industry. i work for one of the highest-ranked public universities in the country, and seeing degrees sold over e-mail and crap like that bugs me. i'm sure companies like volvo and benz, who make **** stout automobiles, aren't all that pleased with tin-can-car-companies like daewoo. and when was the last time any of us saw a successful food critic grubbing down at skippers? :confused:

rogue
10-21-2002, 06:58 PM
I believe that Jerry Peterson took SCARS from Jimmy Woo's Kung Fu San Soo.

KC Elbows
10-22-2002, 08:33 AM
kungfools placed a post saying how statistics weren't reliable, blah blah blah. Thought you might like my response:

"You'll have to clarify this to me KC Elbows because it makes absolutely no sense at all. Please explain what is the crime in doing an analysis of this stylists comments on my very OWN forum? Am I missing a subtle point here or are you upset that I had the insolence to do it in the first place? What did you expect me to do, e-mail the guy and say, "Hey, I did a analysis on you, come check it out at my site"? KC Elbows, you simply cannot be this naive."

Actually, it wasn't analysis. You pretended to hold a conversation with the guy. And he was actually on another forum, talking to someone else. Now, I don't generally argue with crazy people, but I will make an exception in your case.

Conversing with people who aren't there is loony. Speaking as though you're analyzing them out of the good of your heart when they can't even see what you're saying is creepy. So yes, asking his permission would be what a decent person would do, but I cannot hold you to common standards of decency because you're 20 minutes south of batty.

As for your logic, it doesn't hold up. You say, these rapes happened, these rapists were martial artists, and draw connections that you cannot support. Sure statistics can be misused, but when they are not, they remain valid tools. And, in the case of your argument, they are the only tool that would help you make your point, because without statistics to suggest a problem across the boards in martial arts, all you have is statistical probability, i.e. rapists will exist in all walks of life to some degree.

"Please rein in your emotions."

My previous posts weren't emotional.

"I realize that it is a natural tendency for the martial artist to react with their hearts rather than with their brains, but really, think about what you're saying before going on the attack, because your statement simply defies logic."

Actually, it defies logic because I used the same logical model that you did to demonstrate the weakness in your logic. Here, I'll do it again. "These rapes were done by martial artists, therefore all martial arts is part of the problem". Now, the new version: "Hey, this dog humps kungfools mother's leg, therefore all dogs hump kungfools mother's leg".

"Besides, nothing I stated was in any way derogatory to the individual, I merely subjected his own words to an expert commentary in the hopes of enlightening the masses."

You're not an expert, you're a wingnut.

"That is no different from any other political analysis performed by a journalist in the broadcast media."

Except that the journalist usually has familiarity with the topic at hand, and doesn't usually see faces in the wall and talk to his sock before lunchtime.

miguk,
You are correct. He is resorting to sensationalism without adequate research. It's like when local news breaks a story about how dangerous this or that is. Usually, the risk is more related to the intelligence of the end user than the product itself.

However, he cannot show any trend, and if we just went by the rape posts he's placed up thus far, and compared them to the actual number of practitioners in karate/tkd, I am fairly confident we'd find that the statistic of rape within that group, using his "research" alone, is much lower than in the population at large.

Of course he's not gonna do that. Cause he's nutty as bat****.

eulerfan
10-22-2002, 09:36 AM
Great. I had to go yell at him about statistics.

rogue
10-22-2002, 11:59 AM
It tells you something that KF would go to the trouble of reading all those forums and displaying them on his site without giving his expert opinion to the posters on those same sites.:D

Where's he posting KC and thanks for twisting the wing nut a little.

sweaty_dog
10-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Kungfools is correct. It is an established fact that the highest degree of ability in hand to hand combat is gained only by reading Tom Clancy books and posting on the internet while avoiding all physical activity and consuming high levels of saturated fat.

KC Elbows
10-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Yes, please all feel free to kick this moron once. He's here:

http://www.mcdojo.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=802&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=8&Topic_Title=kung+pow+Misfits+up+in+arms+over+Kungf oolss%2E%2E%2E&Forum_Title=McDojo+Discussion&whichpage=2

He constantly posts articles about karate schools doing this and that, but he's thus far somehow managed not to post anything about scars. I think he avoids that topic on the mcdojo website, as the trolls might turn on him then.

I'd like to see that.:D

Sorry to plug another forum, Gene, I normally avoid doing that.

rubthebuddha
10-22-2002, 01:39 PM
look at it this way kc -- you're helping bring down the negative side of martial arts, thus bringing up the average martial artist to a highter level. :)

it's all in the numbers.

rogue
10-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Here's a great article on Kungfools "system" (http://www.scars.com/article2.html)

Testimonials from "Real" people. (http://www.scars.com/system/testimonials.html) At least they're real, right?:rolleyes:

rubthebuddha
10-22-2002, 10:42 PM
"I was driving one day, and some guy decided to play around and cut me off, drive in front of me slowly and block my path of driving with his car. He told me to pull over, so I did. Without hesitation or any amount of fear, I exited my car and ran right to him, determined to take him out, by the way, there were three guys in his car including himself."

um, does anyone see the flaw in omitting that delightful concept called "reverse gear" and going the other way?

captain anus here chose to run right into a situation in which any of the guys could have been carrying a weapon. had they shot him, they may claim self defense and win, because some crazed bozo ran screaming at them and shooting him seemed the safest thing to do.

bad guys 1, dumb guys 0.

oh, and to make matters more fun, of americans on his "real people" list, the only one that came up in the city listed was pedro morales, of which there are 12 in the greater miami area.

sorry, boredom got the better of me, and this guy seemed so willing to spin fables that he didn't even seem like he'd stop at making people up.

Sharp Phil
12-17-2002, 05:27 AM
Recently I did a review of some SCARS/CFC material, a two-tape set with an accompanying manual. The review is here (http://www.philelmore.com/martial/scars.htm).

Also relevant to any discussion of this "Kungfoolss" is this editorial:

I Know You Are, But What Am I? Insecurity In The Martial Arts (http://www.philelmore.com/profiling/insecure.htm)