PDA

View Full Version : Got my ass handed to me by a grappler

IronFist
10-18-2002, 02:26 PM
...as I knew I would before we started :D

My friend came over today. He's been going to Keith Hackney's school for like 5 months so I was like "dude show me some grappling." I learned a little bit, but mostly I was just in awe over how helpless I was on the ground. Not that it came as any surprise tho. Too bad I'm not an Iron Palm master, cuz then I would've had a little better chance. Hahahaha j/k (or am i?)

It was pretty cool tho. My knees are all scuffed up from being on my family room floor carpet, but still. Grappling is interesting... it's like a puzzle... he does this, you do that, he counters with this, you counter with that, etc. Pretty cool tho, I hope to learn more.

IronFist

Nexus
10-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Dear Iron Fist,

Good kung fu is like that also. It's sometimes called Body Logic.

Royal Dragon
10-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Iron Fist, are you anywher near Hackney's school??

My Girlfreind used to train at the same Kempo school he came up in, and knows him from there.

We are in Westmont now. I hear he's up on Lake Street near Rosell or something, about 40 minutes North of me.

If your close, we should hook up and go for some good Chinese sometime.

diego
10-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Iron Fist,
I hear he's up on Lake Street near Rosell or something, about 40 minutes North of me.

If your close, we should hook up and go for some good Chinese sometime. .

& Then afterwards yall can go back to Ironfist's place & Do This:

My knees are all scuffed up from being on my family room floor carpet, ""Qoute

:o

Corny I know, but it had to be done...no disrespects to Grapplers { or isit} :rolleyes:

:D

SevenStar
10-18-2002, 04:38 PM
congrats on the ass whooping. :D Welcome to the club. When you actually do it, you see that it's alot more intricate than it may seem.

SevenStar
10-18-2002, 04:41 PM
hey, wtf? you're near RD?? If so, then you could meet up with him, me, monkeyslap, WD and fa_jing when we get together.

David Jamieson
10-18-2002, 04:42 PM
you had your ass handed to you because you are not training your kung fu enough :D

peace

SevenStar
10-18-2002, 04:43 PM
You won't see RD until it's time to eat though :D

IronFist
10-18-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
you had your ass handed to you because you are not training your kung fu enough :D

peace

And because we started on the ground :)

Yeah his school is in Roselle or something. I'm in college about 40 minutes away (I think, I am awful at directions). When are you guys meeting up? I like food!

IronFist

Royal Dragon
10-18-2002, 05:32 PM
SevenStar
Hey man, I was there before the food!!! (Well, a few minutes anyway).

Actually, due to my health problems, I knew if I rolled with you guys, I'd get carried away and re hurt myself. That reminds me, I have to call Myoung about needles for my back.

Iron Fist, we meet up in Naperville from time to time. WD and a few others train on a regular basis, and I occasionally sort of roll in and work basics with them when my back feels strong.

I want to fight with someone, but noone will do that with me. I think they are afraid of hurting me or something. Even guys I have been practicing with for years are making up stupid excuses like "You hit too hard" and such (like they don't too:rolleyes:).

Anyway, I show up after practice, around dinner time now mostly because of that.

MonkeySlap Too
10-18-2002, 07:05 PM
We'll be getting together November 23 & 24. Two days of Baodin & Beijing style Shuai Chiao at the Golden Mountain Kung Fu Academy.

E-mail me at Visajoe.com and I'll send you the details.

If the seminar is out of your range cause of school, you can always join us at dinner.

You know last time I told everyone to show up on Friday to spar - and only Seven Star and Little Joe showed up! (of course, you gotta know little joe to know why...)

Royal Dragon
10-18-2002, 07:26 PM
LOL @ Monkey Slap

I just wish I was in fighting shape again, noone will play with me anymore :(

I'll be there for dinner though :D

David Jamieson
10-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Starting on the ground...hmmmmn, yes, that's the place to start a fight from.

:D

peace

Royal Dragon
10-19-2002, 11:32 AM
I think it is fun to start a fight by THROWING your opponent on the ground!!

If it's a grappler that likes to start on the ground, it's always good to help him get there :D

SevenStar
10-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah, anyone who likes to do breakfalls on concrete and take thai kicks purposely to see how they feel would definitely show up to spar. That's li'l joe in a nutshell.

SifuAbel
10-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Sounds like me. :D

SevenStar
10-20-2002, 12:04 AM
You should meet him then. You'd become instant best friends :)

jun_erh
10-20-2002, 09:09 AM
ironfist- were you countering with punches and stuff, or were you trying to do grappling. just wondering cuz I went to "spar" with a friend of mine and realized that he didn't throw punches or anything and felt bad and tried to wrestle, etc

IronFist
10-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jun_erh
ironfist- were you countering with punches and stuff, or were you trying to do grappling. just wondering cuz I went to "spar" with a friend of mine and realized that he didn't throw punches or anything and felt bad and tried to wrestle, etc

No, it was mostly him showing or teaching me stuff cuz I have zero experience on the ground.

IronFist

LEGEND
10-20-2002, 02:57 PM
IRON FIST...gets some mats for god sakes! I rolled on carpet before and it takes forever for those rug burns to go away!

FatherDog
10-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

And because we started on the ground :)

No offense to your training partner, but as a standup fighter (you train Wing Chun, right?) you really should be starting from a standing position. It's important to learn what to do on the ground (in your case, you'd probably want to focus on escapes, so you can get back to your feet where you're comfortable) but it's equally important to learn how <i>not</i> to go to the ground to begin with. To do that you need to have someone who knows takedowns try them on you while you try to stop them.

Sorry if I come across as pedantic or *****y; just trying to help out with your training. Good luck!

LEGEND
10-20-2002, 06:39 PM
See what u get for posting about your training IRON FIST??? LOL...IRON FIST simply wanted to learn the grappler's game...if he wanted to fight/spar the grappler than he would have! This was just a training scenario.

Leonidas
10-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Congratulations.

IronFist
10-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Father Dog, LEGEND, it's all good :D

IronFist

ged
10-21-2002, 04:10 AM
ironfist (or anyone else), can i ask jun_erh's question again?

ive never grappled at all :) so yeah. when someone is grappling with you, can you go all-out with punches and elbows? or will the grappler be aware of this possibility, and use a position which will keep him out of range?

Merryprankster
10-21-2002, 04:15 AM
It depends on the grappler--have they trained to deal with this stuff before?

I will say this--most grapplers on the ground will instinctively smother rather than create space, if you try to hit them with something. They know that by smothering you, they can control you better and reduce the damage they might take, while at the same time working to improve their own position or submit you.

jun_erh
10-21-2002, 11:56 AM
I find grappling to be very smelly. I feel like I've been gangraped. That aside, it can be very educational etc. There are some differences in the language though. My friend says they "spar" every class. He has never actually sparred by my definition, but it's all good

IronFist
10-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ged
ironfist (or anyone else), can i ask jun_erh's question again?

ive never grappled at all :) so yeah. when someone is grappling with you, can you go all-out with punches and elbows? or will the grappler be aware of this possibility, and use a position which will keep him out of range?

I guess. I've never really gone all out grappling with punches and stuff before. But he gave me pointers like "keep your head down here or you'll get knocked out" and stuff. We messed around with strikes a little bit, and I did get off a pak da while he was in the mount, but punching against gravity is hard work :D

First I'll learn grappling, then I'll incorporate it with striking.

Unless someone can tell me why that's a bad idea?

IronFist

LEGEND
10-21-2002, 02:12 PM
GED...it takes getting use to dealing with a grappler takedown attempt but once u learn how to sprawl and brawl...u have a very good chance to employ your arsenals. Just CROSSTRAIN.

Xebsball
10-21-2002, 02:30 PM
One time i had a dream. It was on a open area, some grappler tried to takedown some guy (dont remember if was a kid or not) and he sprawled everytime, didnt go down not even once.
Then when i look again its me doing that same thing versus the grappler guy. Doesnt have a point really but that was pretty cool, only in reality id sprawl AND beat the crap outa the sucka.

ged
10-21-2002, 04:37 PM
i'm learning how to sprawl against a takedown, but there's nothing at my level to actually use if you stuff it up and get taken down (there is at the next level). i definitely plan to crosstrain, when i have the time and money - ive stopped kung fu for a month because of exams.

so if you try to hit a grappler (when on the ground), he'll smother and work to submit you? ****, i was hoping he'd lie there nicely and take hits. elbows of any use? hey, here's an idea - i'll go find out for myself, hehe. might find a BJJ school and go in take a look after exams.