PDA

View Full Version : attn shuai chiao fighters: shuai chiao throws

neptunesfall
10-19-2002, 08:44 AM
hey everyone. i've been thinking about how a lot of different shuai chiao (jiao, jow...however you want to spell it) use different terms for each throw, some american, some chinese. if it's possible, i'd like to get as many names for each throw as possible. the names i can come up with off of the top of my head are as follows....try and correlate them to what you'd call them. thanks in advance. if you don't know what a throw is, i'll describe it to you.

chopping
pulling
lower body control hip throw
upper body control hip throw (neck surrounding or headlock hip throw)
knee seizing
leading arm and sweep
brain smashing
embracing
inner shoulder
outer shoulder
cracking
shouldering (diagonal flying)
vertical lifting
twisting spring
shaving
high sweep
leg seizing (dull sickle reaps the rice)

SevenStar
10-19-2002, 11:30 PM
vertical lifting sounds like it may be elbow locking.
sickle sweeps rice sounce like shearing.
shouldering = diagonal cut
upper body control hip throw - neck surround
shaving may be mopping

can you describe high sweep, brain smashing and twisting spring?

neptunesfall
10-20-2002, 11:45 AM
ah i forgot elbow locking...
vertical lifting is what most wrestlers call a firemans carry

dull sickle is when you wrap your ankle around the opponents ankle from the front or side and use it to sweep their leg out, i don't know what shearing is.

shaving= a quick take down, wrapping your leg around opponents leg from front or side, using your heel or the calf against the back of their knee and pushing them over at the proper angle. is that would you call mopping?

high sweep- a and b face off, a jumps to the righ of b and uses left arm to leverage b backwards while using left leg to kick out b's legs in the opposite direction.

brain smashing - same foot work as hip throw, but one arm circles underneath opponents arm to cradle or strike the back of the head instead of grabbing the belt or neck surrounding.

twisting spring - a grabs b's right arm while steal stepping to b's left side (left foot backwards steal step), then pulls b's right arm across the body while the right leg blocks out one or both of b's legs.

do you have names for these throws?

SevenStar
10-20-2002, 12:35 PM
some of the techs you name I know, but have not heard names for. However, on shuaichiao.org, twisting spring is referred to as pulling to kwai

front sweep, for example was used as a follow up of you missed a rear sweeping tech called ho ti. Never heard a name for it.

maybe paul lin, GGL or monkeyslap can add more to the list.

SevenStar
10-31-2002, 05:15 AM
nah, mopping is a head manipulation. I'm gonna try to catch another hour or so of shut eye (I just happened to wake up, but I've only had about 3 hours of sleep) before I get up to get ready to go to work. I know Monkeyslap can explain shearing, as can WaterDragon, but if they don't beat me to it, I'll explain it later.