PDA

View Full Version : Neck and back?

Viper555
10-19-2002, 09:30 AM
What are some body weight exercises for your back and neck?

Viper555
10-19-2002, 10:32 AM
anyone?

wiz cool c
10-19-2002, 10:42 AM
for upper back latt pull downs seated row, for neck shrugs will work the trapezius wich run up the neck.

Viper555
10-19-2002, 10:44 AM
what are lat pulldowns?

wiz cool c
10-19-2002, 11:06 AM
It is a peace of equipment found in every gym. it is a bar you pull towards your chest while seated.

Braden
10-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Don't do shrugs if your kungfu style requires relaxed shoulders.

For bodyweight for your back, try chinups, reverse pushups, and prostrate good mornings (hyperextensions).

Souljah
10-19-2002, 02:36 PM
For your lower back, you can do 'crab' puch ups (lie on your back and arch it with only arms and feet on floor, then do pushups like this)
Similar to this yo can try climbing backwars down a wall, then coming back up and repeating.
Others - Handstand pushups (shoulders, triceps, lower neck region)

I hope this helps.....:)

You should try post this on the health+fitness boards, there are alot of exercise pros there.....:D

eulerfan
10-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Dancers have to throw their heads around pretty vigorously. For them, it's just another limb to be manipulated for effect.

Ever see the movie "white nights"? Baryshnikov can hang himself on a noose.

I'd find some dancers and ask them how they strengthen those muscles.

Odie-wan
10-19-2002, 06:39 PM
My wife showed me some of the excercises she does in her Pilates class and a lot of them have helped strengthen (and rehab) my lower back. They use simple apparatus or body weight rather than iron weights but all the excercises are designed to strengthen "core" muscles. Many don't look like much but do them for a week and you'll feel new power in your techniques from your torso. Many of the same excercises are in a book called Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts, by Sean Cochran.

Check out
http://sissel-online.com/
for free info on how to do the exercises. They don't look like much but they work.

Sean

Arioch7
10-19-2002, 06:49 PM
"White Nights" is a good idea for conditioning. Good on you! Dancers really have the best conditioning exrecises and are usually extremely stong.

Neck Bridges are a good idea for neck training. I know wrestling training has been downgraded in PE nowadays, it is an excellent neck training exercise.

For lower back, I suggest hyper-extensions which are best performed on a roman chair but can be performed elsewhere, I dont have a roman chair so I improvise, it's not as good but it is better then nothing.

Squats and deadlifts will DEFINATELY help you and akthough there are a thousand different techniques, I will not go into them.

SQUATS and DEADLIFTS are the best, however you use them.

Arioch7
10-19-2002, 06:51 PM
They are also dangerous, but I am assuming you would do it properly.

Most people do not and hurt themselves. Be careful!"D