PDA

View Full Version : Did Yip Man Know more than one version of Wing Chun ?

FIRE HAWK
10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Is it possible that Yip Man might have known other versions of Wing Chun like Gu lao Pien san , Yuen Kay San , Red boat Wing Chun , Chi Sim , Cho Family Wing Chun , or one of the other Wing Chun or Weng Chun versions and maybe mixed his Wing Chun or taught his students different types of Wing Chun the man must have known more than one versions of Wing Chun ?

Mr. Bao
10-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Fire:

Yip Man learned from Chan who learned from Jan Leung. In his college years he learned from Leung Bik, one of the sons of Jan Leung. William Cheung claimed Yip Man learned two versions and you can check that out for yourself. As for the other styles of wing chun you mentioned. They all look interesting but I am sure Yip Man didn't learn from those people. Jiu Wan was the only person who Yip Man knew from the old days and Jiu Wan considered Yip Man as him as his SiBaK, a kung fu uncle.

Bao

hunt1
10-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Foshan was not that big and I think there are enough stories around that it is safe to say the various WC families new of each other and probably exchanged information. We will never know what Yip Man or anyone else of that time really knew however I think we in the present make a much bigger deal about our differences than those of 80 years ago did.

dezhen2001
10-21-2002, 06:01 AM
As far as i remember hearing form Sifu... didn't Yip Man also know and meet with yuen Kay San for tea? Isn't that why both skills have poon sau to start chi sau and the others don't or something? (rene?) :confused:

Of course i could be wrong :D

who knows? We have many different stories being batted around these days lol

dawood

reneritchie
10-21-2002, 07:06 AM
Mr. Bao - Chan Yiu-Min was Yip Man's Sihing, thus Yip Man would have been Sisuk to Jiu Wan, if Jiu was Chan's student.

Dezhen2001 - They would meet at the restaurant Cheung Bo worked at (Tien Hoi) for tea. Later, Yip Man's house caught fire down and he stayed on one of the Yuen properties for a time. Both Yuen Kay-San and Yip Man WCK have a Luk Sao platform for Chi Sao. Most other brances use Huen Sao or Ngoi/Noi Sao (both are similar) as their major Chi Sao platform (some do a freer kind of Tui Sao like activity, some a more structured two person set).

RR