PDA

View Full Version : For EVERY INTERNAL STYLIST

dre_doggX
10-20-2002, 07:29 PM
this is something that I want everyone who does an internal martial art to at least read,

TRUST ME.

Just download this book "REFLEX VIOLENCE Book" I found it VERY USEFUL.

but if you are very impatient you can start at 34, but you should at least skim through everything before 34, youwill like it.

http://www.taijiworld.com/download/Free_books.htm

If you already know this knowledge, then good, I didnt tell a while back but because I do it change it makes Internal martial arts for me easier, then external martail arts, and

YOU JUST HAVE TO READ IT FOR YOURSELF GUYS, post your responses

dre_doggX
10-22-2002, 09:29 AM
FOR the people who voted "DIDNT HELP MUCH" did you even read this. come one
just read it.

Walter Joyce
10-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Just curious, you list yourself as a high school student, who has been studying taiji for 5 years. May I ask where you have studied taiji? May I ask if you learned your form from a teacher or from a book?

dwid
10-22-2002, 10:23 AM
The explanation of how the brain works is untenable. It's a lot of mystical mumbo jumbo sprinkled with just enough misunderstood science to give it a veneer of believability to someone with little or no background in science.

The applications are pretty static to say the least.

What exactly is it you see in this that is so revolutionary?

patriot
10-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Ummm ..... a high school student .....

dre_doggX
10-22-2002, 05:05 PM
And I only took kungfu in the Summer times, from a teacher who I think is really into Shaolin stuff, even thought he does claim to know TaiChi, I of the stuff I have studied is from books, videos, and such. Its long, NOT THE Best, but they are alot of benefiets from studying both from books and teachers, I plan on contacting one of Erles pupils maybe latter on in the summer, because I do recongize that even though you can study and yes LEARN some aspects from books and videos, its still not as good as learning first hand.

In the end,
i believe that know one can really "Teach" you martial arts, its something that you discover through practice. They are only instructors, no real teachers. just students. I say this because even though I have had martial art instructors, not all of them knew about qi the degree I knew it, and I developed qi and jing, fa-jing skill and internal stuff like that, without their help, just studying , watching, reading, and practing.

My favorite books are The Tai Chi Classics, and ofcourse Elres books. I found its easy to study a form from a video, but its too hard to do a form from a book.

I have to settle between the two, until I meet one of his intructors he sent me a list of them in the U.S.

Liokault
10-23-2002, 04:16 AM
God I do not belive you guy!!!!!!

You can not learn from a book!!!!

And IF you could where and with whom would you practice what you had learnt? Theres more to it than just being able to do a movement!!!!!

I say this because even though I have had martial art instructors, not all of them knew about qi the degree I knew it, and I developed qi and jing, fa-jing skill and internal stuff like that, without their help, just studying , watching, reading, and practing.

How do you know you have developed QI,fa-jing or anything with no teacher to guide you?

If I were you guy (and im thanking god that im not) I wouls stop saying that I train in tai chi, I wouls stop trying to look like i know anything about tai chi and I would go and find a teacher as soon as I coukd.......even a half assed handform hippy teacher is better than what your doing.

It is good that your interested in Tai Chi but your doing your self and Tai Chi no favors right now.

dwid
10-23-2002, 06:38 AM
"In the end, i believe that know one can really "Teach" you martial arts, its something that you discover through practice. They are only instructors, no real teachers."

For someone with no experience with a teacher to speak of and little experience period, what basis do you have for the conclusion you have drawn about teachers? You can believe what you want about the value of a teacher, but you should probably base it somewhere in experiential reality.

Find a high quality "instructor," study with him or her for more than a couple of months. Then see if you still believe this.

Walter Joyce
10-23-2002, 06:41 AM
My only question now is for myself, add to the ignore list or not. IMHO, you're deluded.

dre_doggX
10-23-2002, 08:02 AM
I never meant to say I "
KNEW TAI CHI" what I mean is I study it to the best of my availablity, this summer, I WILL TAKE REAL LESSONS, and I know you dont learn anything from just a book, but reading does help what are the Tai ji Classics for then. AND YES, I DO CLAIM TO BE ABLE TO DO FA-JING

Ya you heard me,

I not saying that my skill, or knowledge martial art ability or whatever you wanna call it is superior or inferior to that of anyone of you guys, and if I could I would take lessons, and wouldnt mind studying wit one of you if you where in the area, I KNOW its better to have a Teacher, HOW AM I TO KNOW IF IAM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT if I DONT HAVE ANYONE TO TELL ME IAM DOING SOMETHING WORNG, I DONT, I can only remember what I study from the articles, classics and such of what happens when I do something worng(for instance bad posture will build up blocking qi in the neck) and what Iam doing right, (I use reptile brain, do get a fightmove down when I really have trouble,) I went to a KUNGFU CLASS for my first time, and it wasnt until the end of class that the Sifu knew I didnt have a teacher, and learned mostlye (not entirely) from videos, and literature. AND THIS WAS JUST BECAUSE I TOLD HIM. AND YES, HE told me endless corrections, of stuff I was did do wrong. Another friend of mine (he does kungfu from teachers) thought I did eventhing almost correct, except my stance wasnt as completley right. this is why I know you cant learn from a book alone, but many kungfu masters have used books, take CHEn WAN TING before makeing Chen Style he took a book writing by General QI, the shown 32 something postures.
Bagua Zhang was based on the I-Ching, So there, I went to a horrible Taekwondo school once, the instructors where just taking peoples money, now I havein been there for a month

STORNGLY BELIEVE, that I was better off studying the things I study from then with them (believe the instructors werent good)

But if I cant say Iam doing something right, because I havent had anyone watching me.

How anyone say I dont know Fa-jing and qi-gong, YOU HAVE NO IDEAL, just assumeing.

MARTIAL ARTS is about practice
I could type out all the corrections, a qi-gong excerise, but that doesnt mean I have tried to do it or gained ability to do such, its just knowledge, you have to put the knowledge into action.

The reason I writing you guys alot is because when I have questions, I can get answers from people of different styles, instead of just one teacher of one lineage,

Dachengdao
10-24-2002, 03:13 PM
If you are in the NYC area, come by my school. I could write until my hand falls off, but seeing is believing. Check out my website for more info and class schedules: www.dachengdao.com

Daredevil
10-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Anything is possible.

But even if you do have it, how the heck would you even know it's fa-jing if you haven't got a teacher? And no, reading about it is a completely different thing that feeling and seeing it demonstrated.

Without a teacher to correct you, it is easy to assume one thing for another.

eulerfan
10-29-2002, 10:58 AM
I don't think it's even really a question of corrections. Though that is important, I think it's most paramount that you have somebody to answer your own questions.

You explore this thing in your own way. You disect moves and grasp ideas differently from anybody else. A book won't answer every question you have. You need a person to ask. A person who will answer and then ask if you feel your question has been answered or if you feel the need to talk about it some more. Somebody who will explain it in as many different ways as it takes until the answer is yours.

A book is just one person's way of understanding Tai Chi. That person isn't you and that person doesn't know you.

You just need a person who will help you explore in whatever exploration works best for you. That's all.