PDA

View Full Version : LOL at Tiger Schulman!

Merryprankster
10-21-2002, 02:47 AM
At this weekend's Grappler's Quest Championship in New Jersey, one of Tiger Schulman's competitors (don't laugh. He has a VERY competitive grappling team. Say all you want about his karate--his grappling teams ain't half bad) possibly slammed his opponent, which is illegal in most sport grappling comps. The referree (Francisco Neto) and the matside judges decided it was a slam and disqualified the Tiger competitor.

Well, the Tiger coach matside went APE**** and said "OK, that's it, we're going home!" Neto tried to take the coach aside and explain his reasoning, and the guy started YELLING at Neto, posturing, chest forward, and I could see the fire light in Neto's eyes. Fortunately, somebody--one of the matside judges, got in between them, because that would have been the VERY last mistake the Tiger guy ever made. Neto's a really nice guy, but he probably would have torn the Tiger fellow several new orifices, just for good measure.

Anyway, Tiger Schulman was THERE, gathered his team, and went over to talk to the promoter and I overheard Tiger use the word "honor," about 5 times. I almost fell over I was laughing so hard. This is the same guy that got into tax trouble because he lied about the nature of his business (claimed his chain of Tiger Schulman dojos weren't franchises).

The promoter behaved like a class act, stood by Neto's decision, and refunded the TSK guys who hadn't competed yet.

This is such an "honorable," tactic from Schulman and his school--he knows it costs a lot of money to run these things because of the insurance rates, and he knows when he brings 50-60 people, he's got financial clout. So he's using the time-tested formula I've seen so often out there: I don't like your decision, so I'm going to take my ball and go home.

What an absolute *****. It's a sport, there's a ref and sometimes he's going to make a call you don't like. You talk to the promoter and maybe ask that that individual not ref your matches anymore.... but you don't behave like a whiny spoiled brat that was just told to get out of the cookie jar. I was on the receiving end of at least one questionable call this weekend, and I may have lost one match because of it, but I didn't ***** and whine about it--them's the breaks!

The worst part is that 60 people walked out that door believing, deep down, that Tiger was doing the right thing in "fairness," and "honor."

Ryu
10-21-2002, 06:46 AM
Honor eh? Big part of honor is keeping yourself humble, and accepting that there are times you have to just suck it up.

Besides....... I hate when someone's "honor" only shows itself when there's something in it for him. Honor is how you live, the morality you follow, and how you treat life and people in general.

Ryu

FatherDog
10-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Honor was me /not/ going to Grappler's Quest, even though it's practically in my backyard, because I'd already promised to help my friend move into his new house. :(

Seriously, that's a terrible example of sportsmanship from the whole Tiger bunch. I would've been embarassed to be associated with them.

How'd you do, Merry? What was your impression of the event overall? I was sorry to have to miss it... did you see how any of the Team Endgame guys did?

Merryprankster
10-21-2002, 08:55 AM
The event was run about as well as any other large grappling tourney--which is to say, it was only about an hour behind schedule.

I placed third in advanced cruiserweight. I lost 9-6 to the eventual winner of the weight class on what I feel was a bit of a questionable guard pass, but the truth is that he was probably kicking my ass anyway, even if the score didn't reflect it.

I rolled with Eddy (or is it Eddie?) for third/fourth place, and although I won I felt like my legs were constantly in danger. I did more spinning and protecting my ankles and knees than I've ever done before. I suspect I may have lost by NAGA rules.

In all honesty, my sport grappling game is so gi dependent now that I feel like a fish out of water with it off. Next time I do a no gi event, I'm training more no gi!

Eddy Rolon is a class act. As far as Team endgame, they had some guys on the podium a few times, I'm pretty sure.

LEGEND
10-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Didn't TIGER recently jacked TONY BLAUER spear and called it the SHIELD in BB magazine??? Man...I'm going to prob. start repackaging old martial art materials...

OneStrike
10-22-2002, 06:21 AM
I heard that the organisers refunded all of their entrance fees.

Real integrity and a lot of guts from of the organisers, disgraceful behaviour from Tiger Schulman, and a genuine shame for his students.

:(

FatherDog
10-22-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Eddy Rolon is a class act. As far as Team endgame, they had some guys on the podium a few times, I'm pretty sure.

Congratulations; glad you did well. And I'm glad that your experience with the guys I train with was more positive than your opinion of the Schulman folks :rolleyes:

rogue
10-22-2002, 04:33 PM
I placed third in advanced cruiserweight. I lost 9-6 to the eventual winner of the weight class on what I feel was a bit of a questionable guard pass, but the truth is that he was probably kicking my ass anyway, even if the score didn't reflect it.
You are so worthless and weak!!!

Really Merry that is great. I think many of us are proud of how you're doing. I don't know who they are but there must be someone. :p

"In all honesty, my sport grappling game is so gi dependent now that I feel like a fish out of water with it off. Next time I do a no gi event, I'm training more no gi!"

Go the extra mile in your training, don't wear anything. If you can catch, hold and submit your (very frightened) opponent that way some guy in a speedo will be easy pickens. :D

Great job MP, it's nice to see someone with their head on right doing so well. One day I hope to see you compete. :)

Brad Souders
10-23-2002, 08:49 AM
I saw a couple SOS names high on the listing of the GQ results. As far as Eddy i can believe with no doubt your legs were in trouble but that's just Eddy i guess. Dude knows no quit i think. As far as grappling with no gi we all know that is a whole new world as much as it is for me to put on a gi. (People who don't grapple really don't relize how much different it is). But i'm pretty sure Lloyd can fix any problems u have there :)

I was looking to do the big NAGA tourney in November but my knee ain't going to let it happen. So i guess i'll have to settle on being a gimp ass for another couple months :( o well.
Take it easy, Brad

Shadowboxer
10-23-2002, 09:05 AM
I visited Merry at the GQ in Jersey. Great guy! The tourney was an eye opening experience-lots of body art and short hair cuts. ;)
A word(s) to the wise- Don't F*ck with the Prankster. :D

Merryprankster
10-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks Shadow--it was good to meet you too. Hopefully, sometime, we can go for that beer we keep talking about. As far as me having skills.... well, we'll see about that in a few months at the Pan-Am's.

Brad, sorry to hear about the knee. Good luck with rehab. Rogue, I already do coed naked BJJ.... :D