PDA

View Full Version : Sparing tournaments

madmanits
10-21-2002, 06:05 PM
This up coming weekend I have the opportunity to put my training to the test. There is an open martial arts tournament in my area. In the sparing competition they are using the international wushu rule to judge the match. The two questions I have are?

1. Can a mantis fighter really compete in a sparing match especially with IWF rules? Reason Why I ask this is that our style is deadly. I never have really seen two mantis fighters go all out in a sparring session.
2. At what point into my training is it advisable to enter such competition

grifter721
10-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Well in my opinion point fighting SUCKS. It proves nothing and all the gear that you will have to put on will obviously take away from our style.....The longer you are in the style though is the better you can adapt YOUR style to the point fighting. By making your kicks snap fastr, and your punches faster.

I say go and look at it forst and judge yourself. Spar with your partner whenevr you can and fight with yourself! You can tell a lot by training with yourself!

Skarbromantis
10-22-2002, 01:46 PM
I agree with grifter721, point sparring is WACK, kick, point, stop punch, point, stop, proves nothing, its all for ego, not for true skill.

Yes, I feel a mantis fighter can compete, under those rules.

How much sparing experience do you have? Have you been training for the event, 2 man drills, pad work, stance training, although its only point sparring, you still have to train hard.

If you have done all that then maybe you are ready, only you know.

Skard1