PDA

View Full Version : 7 Star PM forms

Skarbromantis
10-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Lets talk PM, training theories, and form work...

How do you train your forms?

What are the favorite methods for closing the gap (advancing) using PM techniques from the forms?

What forms do you think address what situation?

Skard1

Hau Tien
10-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Hmm... good start for a thread... I'll see what I can contribute with my limited knowledge (thusfar) of 7* PM forms...

For closing the gap, I really like the Dar Gong (and other forms, I'm sure, but this is the first form it was introduced to me in) shovel sweep and punch combination. (IE: The second move in the form). I have found that it makes the opponent have to think on two levels (high and low) at the same time. I know I hate it when a sihing of mine uses it on me when we spar.

Another technique I like to use for closing the gap is the shin kick from Sup Sei Lo (14 roads). If you practice the form, it becomes second nature to throw a combination of techniques after using the shin kick to bridge the gap. Likewise, you can use the kick to move the opponent back... to make room, rather than close the gap.

As for training forms... we essentially go through each form 3 times. Once paying attention to JUST technique. Then, once paying attention to technique and power. Then, finally, we go for technique, power, and speed. Then, on other days, we train in the application of those forms. And finally, we also spar using only techniques found in a certain form (IE: Sparring, but ONLY using techniques found in Sup Sei Lo). I've found that the combination of training techniques seems to give a really good idea on how to actually use what the movements in the form are for.

As for addressing specific situations, I'm not really sure what you mean. I think that each form has a multitude of real world applications, and that one form doesn't usually focus on a single type of situation. At least not from the way I've been trained.

Anyway... again... good start for a thread:)

Skarbromantis
10-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Hau Tien - Nice post

I like the 3rd move in Crushing Steps, the left hand block with the crushing step, followed by the 4th move, the right forward punch, also the first move in 18 Elders, left intercept right hand chop.

We do the forms in the same manner, first slow then medium, then fast, also we practice holding each move from the form, for 30 sec each move, that was taught to me by one of the seniors at my school, it works great.

I have heard each form trains you for a different situation, don’t know if that’s true, looking for more info into that.

Skard1

grifter721
10-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Each form trains a differnt way of attack in Pm. I feel like i am being repetetive in saying this but heck it works..You learn so many forms so that you can take what you feel is your "style" of fighting. Look at all the people in your class and you will see that they each have a different style o the same mantis. Take for instance a form like White Monkey Steals peach, you wont find the bigger students fighting like that, but you may see them using Big chops A LOT and moves from forms like Big Wheels.

I train my forms CONSTANTLY. Whether it is in my mind, or just doing a few moves here and there. Okay well maybe not CONSTANTLY but Kung fu is rarely ever far from my mind.
Shadow box, and most importantly....THINK.

Shaolin Master
10-23-2002, 02:48 AM
Mantis forms (esp 7star) are often multivariate combinations of essential techniques and variations thereoff. It is best to understand each strategy each method to touch hands then the forms would be mere combative drilling of essentials. Every essential method has a variation in size and approach understanding them would make all derivations improve. Thus it is mastery of the technique and its variations that will allow mastery of forms.

ursa major
10-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Skarbromantis
Lets talk PM, training theories, and form work...

Skard1

Hey Skarb great question.

I train forms as often as I can because I am getting so forgetful in my old age that the only thing I spar with now is senility (haha). I find that if I don't practice every day I start forgeting stuff.

Actually I have so many forms stuck in my head that I often get lost and switch from one form's route to another making hybrids of say... 1st Set and Plum Fist or Goose Palm and Crushing Step and on and on -- it really confuses people watching me do my forms (as I try to look wise and knowledgeable haha). This never happened to you right ? (haha).

But seriously, I am convinced that each form handed down to us by past Masters has a specific message it is trying to teach. For instance Crushing Step -- can you do this form without the notion of aggressively chasing your opponent ? How about 1st Set it is like a game of chess you have really got to be on the ball to make it work -- it is a thinking man's form. How about the treacherous and skillful deceit of Ape Steals Peach ? Can you do Piercing Fist (your Lightning Attack) slowly or do you find yourself adding power and speed with every step as you progress through the form ? Gets your blood rushing eh ? Each form has an indelible style punctuated by specific techniques and each form is executed with a specific spirit.

I have about 28 Mantis hand forms in all and each one that I practice has something specific, something unique about it separating it from the rest of the pack. I enjoy focusing on these unique characteristics, studying them and asking myself what was the ancient Master who authored it trying to tell us through this form ?

I find it very exciting to explore applications from the forms. They are a deep, deep well. For instance I have been working on Plum Flower Falling Leaf techniques since last summer trying to find as many applications as possible for each individual method. From there I try joining steps together to see how it changes the picture (I was not taught a 2-man set for this form but am trying to write one). So far it has been an exceptionally productive experience -- and I'm only 3/4s through the form ! I Can hardly recommend this excercise enough and it will work with any form.

well that is my .02 cents,
UM.

Skarbromantis
10-24-2002, 04:01 PM
grifter posted -"I train my forms CONSTANTLY. Whether it is in my mind, or just doing a few moves here and there. Okay well maybe not CONSTANTLY but Kung fu is rarely ever far from my mind.
Shadow box, and most importantly....THINK."

For sure, I think playing the form out in your mind is just as important as doing it, I find myself going over and over them,
all the time, its like a bad song you cant get out of your mind except...you don’t want to. :D

Ursa very good post.

I like to play with the forms also going over just sections and working with the applications, when you say the PM forms are deep you are so right, all the techniques that are in just one form is incredible, not to mention the hidden techniques.

I usually play the forms with my stepson and also do some light sparring, its crazy the things kids come up with my stepson is only 14, but has a natural gift when it comes to MA, that gives me an opportunity to also learn form him, picking up small details that I over looked while learning the form, the little motions, the attention to detail, that makes the form just that much sweater.

Skard1

Mantis9
10-24-2002, 05:00 PM
This is just a stupid story. But it goes along with your posts.

Once, I was getting on a bus to go home. At the time I was learning a new form, Cha Choy, and was think about it a lot. I'm sitting across from a women who keep looking up at me and smiling. Finally, she crosses the ail and asks me if I know sign language. I say "No, sorry. Why would you think I know sign langauge."

She gives me a weird look and says,"it looks like your signing with you hands."

I say "Oh. I'm remembering a Kung Fu form." She looked disappointed and crossed back to her seat.

Anyway, not much else to add, except that little misadventure.

Mantis9

MightyB
10-25-2002, 05:28 AM

Practice, practice, get critiqued, practice some more, public exhibition, critique, practice, teach, give critique, get critiqued on how I critiqued, practice, ........

What are the favorite methods for closing the gap (advancing) using PM techniques from the forms?

Fan Che