PDA

View Full Version : What are the best CMA's for Standup & for Grappling???

Badger
10-23-2002, 07:50 AM
IYHO.

Mojo
10-23-2002, 08:04 AM
Hsing-I Chuan for standing fighting and anti-grappling.

I haven't seen any cma's that are good on the ground.

yenhoi
10-23-2002, 08:10 AM
tai chi

Former castleva
10-23-2002, 02:05 PM
I would go for southern styles generally.
They have better chin-na (seize&control/grappling in general)
I think such hand oriented styles like eagle claw have lots of cool,nasty grappling&tiger claw and such (don´t know if this relates to your idea)
Naturally,I should add shuai chiao if you´re not aware of that as it has a strong emphasis on grappling in ways of throwing and wrestling etc.

norther practitioner
10-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Well, I like to practice the chi na that I have learned (mostly from eagle claw). As far as standup fighting, wow, depends again, a very broad question, of course I am particular to northern stuff (and no, when I fight, my stances aren't too low to be effective). I like it for its range, you can be anywhere out to kicking range, move in and out easily, etc. For stuff like counters, I have fun with different things from tan tui, xing yi, and yang tai chi. I find the throws in yang style very fun.

Chang Style Novice
10-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Shaui chiao not only has throws, but some amount of ground control, too. Not in the usual sense that you associate with bjj, but hanging onto limbs that you've used as a throwing lever and exerting control on the floored opponent. A bit of it might look bjjish, with knee rides and such - no real concern with mount and guard, though.

Of course, qin na exists in virtually every cma, but eagle claw, mantis and taiji are especially well known for using a lot of the stuff.

TaoBoy
10-23-2002, 04:31 PM
That's a very a subjective question...

My thoughts...

Stand-up:

- Southern Mantis
- Tai Ji
- Xing-Yi

Ground:

- Shuai Chaio
- Chinese fast wrestling ??