PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a choy li fut soy sou jong breaking hand dummy safely?

phantom
10-02-2000, 09:19 PM
I have read that this dummy has arms that swing at you, and you have to try and block them. But I have read that banging your arms full-force against a wooden dummy can damage your bones. So what is the safest way to use this dummy? Would it help to tie a coarse rope around the dummy and to wear protective gear on your arms? Should you wear headgear, as I have read that the arms of the dummy can hit you in the head? Is it a good idea to wear gloves when you punch the sandbags on the dummy? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated

alecM
10-02-2000, 09:50 PM
I dont Know how to use a breaking hand dummy, but if you want to see one in action take a look the video footage of the Soy Sow Jong on this Spanish website. http://personal3.iddeo.es/sherekan/choyleefut/videos1.htm

Saying is not boasting at all

premier
10-03-2000, 01:23 AM
CLF dummy techniques are ment to very very high level practisioners with long experience and naturally stronger arms. if you're a beginner, you'll, no doubt, get your arms busted.

where would you find this dummy anyways? and more important.. who would teach you? =)

phantom
10-03-2000, 07:47 PM
Premier, I do not intend to use it until I find a sifu first. I just want to know ahead of time the proper way to use it to make sure that the way I will be taught it is the proper way to use it. I appreciate your concern for my well being. Peace.

phantom
10-03-2000, 08:36 PM
AlecM, could you please explain to me how to get this site to show the video? I cannot get it to worl for me. Iwould really appreciate it.

CLFNole
10-03-2000, 11:39 PM
Phantom:

Do you practise choy lay fut or are you just concerned with the safety of our training methods. First of all like Premier said this dummy is not often seen and I don't know of any sifu that uses it in the U.S. You will typically see the ching jong (traditional CLF wooden dummy) or the sand bag dummy (used for stance training).

Secondly dummy training is reserved for high level students who have put in many years learning all of the hand & weapon sets as well as the various fighting principles and techniques. A solid foundation in CLF is essential because without it you will not truely be able to understand or get the maximum results of dummy training. Good footwork is also important because the dummy work will further improve footwork that has been developed through years of training.

When you do get to a high level and your sifu has decided that he will teach you your sifu will show how to use the dummy in the correct manner because a true master cares about the safety of his students. When I was first introduced to the ching jong I hit so hard I broke blood vessels in my forearm. It lumped up as a red mass, my sifu worked on it with dit da jow a couple of times and within a couple of days it was gone. No permanent damage.

I would recommend that you don't concern yourself so much with dummy training and find yourself a CLF sifu if this is the style you wish to learn. I see so many students in our school eager to learn the next form up from the one they are working on. I will explain to them that its most important to have a strong foundation, each form you learn will provide you with various techniques that will assist you in higher level forms. By understanding all that you have learned advancing becomes easier.

Another important point, dont' talk so much about things you don't even practise. Focus on improving what you know and try to learn what you may not. Your kung fu will not get better by talking only hard work and persistence will make you better. Remember nothing in life is totally safe we will all get hurt from time to time. Kung fu has stood the test of time so I guess it can't be all that bad for you. If you keep wondering whether or not its safe your window of opportunity may pass you by.

Don't talk about, just do it.

Peace.

molum_jr
10-04-2000, 07:18 AM
that was very interesting to see CLF dummy training. A unique perspective and different from WC dummy training. I've only seen this stuff in magazine articles.

To other CLF practitioners: At what advance level does one learn dummy form?

cha kuen
10-04-2000, 08:48 AM
Are you Humblewarrior? Previously Curious?

phantom
10-04-2000, 04:28 PM
CLF Nole, I apologize for annoying you. I guess you are probably right. However, I will still seek information on many styles, not because I intend to annoy people. I just have a genuine interest in many styles. I really trust the judgement of most of you guys. I would rather not go into all of the details, but I have had a bad experience with a sifu in the past, which is why I have questionesd the safety of things. Peace.

phantom
10-04-2000, 04:46 PM
AlecM, I finally got the video to work for me, although I think it needs to be slowled down a little bit. Thank you for your help. Peace.

premier
10-04-2000, 07:18 PM
CLFnole:

It's nice to see that people overseas think exactly the same as me. How long experience you have in CLF? Are you a sifu? which branch you practise?

phantom:

yes.. I think Soy Sow Jong is usually seen in Chan family CLF, which is not taught in USA. just in europe and australia. maybe in southern america..

molum_jr:

"At what advance level does one learn dummy form?"

when your sifu thinks you're ready. your sifu teaches you so you don't have many options. the first real dummy is Ching Jong and after that they usually teach Ching Lung Jong (I'm not sure what it is, but I think its a dummy with ropes and weights attached to your legs and then you should do something.. it's hard)

those are the two dummy forms in our training schedule next year. the forms are only taught to people in Hung Sing Gwoon group, which is speacial group training directly under our sifus. so basically these are the "advanced students" with 2-10 years of experience.

I'm thinking of joining that group and going to those seminars, but I won't go to the seminar unless my sifus think that I'm ready and my basic technique is good enough.

I have trained clf for 2 years, I've trained hard and I'm good =) so if I'm not sure if I'm going to learn dummy forms, it should answer your question.

I should shorten my answers..

CLFNole
10-04-2000, 08:38 PM
To Premier:

I have practiced choy lay fut for about 8 years. I practice Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut as passed down by the late Sifu Lee Koon Hung. After sifu passed away I began and currently follow his youger brother Sifu Li Siu Hung. I am an instructor at his school in the U.S.

Who do you study with and what branch of CLF are you from?

premier
10-05-2000, 08:08 PM
8 years. wow. that's something =)

I practise Chan family CLF under sifus martti and markku sipilä.

Rafael Chan
10-24-2000, 03:43 AM
It's considered by several chinese kung fu masters that CLF is one of the hardest kung fu, because of it's training.

I'm a CLF student myself, after 6 years of kickboxing, i do agree that it's training are very hard. But still i want to know more about CLF.
I
n Amsterdam it's called Choy Li Fat, similar to the chinese pronunciation. I'm doing Tao Pai, in english more like Tow Pigh.

My question is how many diffrent types of CLF are there, and what are they called??

I can't ask my own sifu because besides chinese he can't speak any other language good. He's about 60 yrs, but his kung fu is incredible.

Still, i have lot's of questions about CLF.
PLease help this curious dutch dude /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

alecM
10-24-2000, 10:39 PM
Hi Raphael it’s good to hear from another C.L.F. practitioner over here in Europe.

Saying is not boasting at all

premier
10-24-2000, 11:58 PM
I thought I know all clf branches in Europe, but I haven't heard of Tao Pai until now. Where did it come from?

if you want to find a teacher who can speak dutch, check out this link section of Chan family clf's australian homepage. there's some dutch schools in amsterdam.

http://www.choyleefut.com.au/update/links.asp

CLFNole
10-25-2000, 04:00 PM
Rafael,

It took me awhile to figure it out because of the way you spelled it. But Tao Pai (pronounces Dow Pie) is a style of its own and was created by Chan Dow. From what I've heard it's a mixture of choy lay fut and hung gar.

I'm not sure if this is the style you are learning but I know Sifu Paul Chan in Canada teaches this style. The style is quite famous for its 8 Drunken Immortals form from what I understand.

Peace.