PDA

View Full Version : Testing Skills

S.Teebas
10-24-2002, 06:39 AM
Why doesn't WC attract people who want to test their skills against each other?

Whats your opinion on this?

yuanfen
10-24-2002, 06:44 AM
I am not sure that your thesis is correct

red5angel
10-24-2002, 06:49 AM
S.Teebas, I think you are going to have to get a little more specific then that. Are you asking why there are so many soft people in wingchun, a combat art? Are you asking why it seem s alot of wingchun people are lazy? They do call it a lazy mans art afterall? what is it you are looking for?

hunt1
10-24-2002, 06:54 AM
Teebas

Cant speak for others but I have tested my WC many,mant times over several years albiet in a friendly manner for the most part. (by friendly I mean I knock you on your butt we stop and start again as opposed to pound till you submit or get knocked senseless). I guarantee you would recognize the names of some of my playmates. I have never been given a reason to switch from wing chun.

[Censored]
10-24-2002, 11:04 AM
IME, the way to inspire generosity in fellow practitioners is to:

Show genuine interest in their knowledge and ability;
Act as though you know absolutely nothing;
Let your hands speak softly and keep your mouth shut.

And IME, when you find nobody wants to test skills with you, it is because:

You secretly want to show your ability, but it isn't worth seeing;
You secretly want to teach your ability, but it isn't worth learning.

desertwingchun2
10-24-2002, 02:04 PM
Censored - What experience are you speaking from chi sao or sparring or something else?? Obviously chi sao and sparing have different levels at which they can be played. If you would, will you post how you went about setting up these tests and setting the parameters?
Thank you,
David

anerlich
10-24-2002, 03:43 PM
S Teebas,

your experience must be markedly different from mine.

What exactly do you mean by "testing skills"?

anerlich
10-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
IME, the way to inspire generosity in fellow practitioners is to:

Show genuine interest in their knowledge and ability;
Act as though you know absolutely nothing;
Let your hands speak softly and keep your mouth shut.

I agree. Not sure I quite get the gist of the scond part of your post though.

[Censored]
10-24-2002, 05:51 PM
The last time I tried to "test skills" to an unambiguous conclusion, I nearly gave somebody a heart attack. I regret that very much.

I've had a few friendly exchanges, where you can't be 100% sure who is the best, but everyone goes home healthy; intensity somewhere between chi sao and sparring. No formal setup or parameters, just sincerity, humility, and common sense. I would rather have everyone think my kung fu was worthless, then prove them wrong.

kj
10-24-2002, 06:07 PM
I would rather have everyone think my kung fu was worthless, then prove them wrong.

Amen.

Regards,
- kj

yuanfen
10-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Aho-

or "uncoordinated" <VBG>

Matrix
10-24-2002, 07:25 PM
You secretly want to show your ability, but it isn't worth seeing; [Censored], I would agree totally with your post, and I would add to the line above, "even if it is worth seeing". You see it from time to time where someone will chi sao with a younger brother, or sister, and they're only focused on showing off their own skills. There is no sharing, no give-and-take, only taking. Who needs that?

Matrix

S.Teebas
10-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Someone at my work found out i do kung-fu and asked me how i go in tournaments. I said we dont have any, so he asked how i know what i do works if its not tested this way.
Im interested in what you say to this.

I have to admit this got me thinking. Is it enough to do the forms, chi sau, dummy, and punching wall bag or whatever. Is this enough to kind of HOPE it all comes together when the sh!t hits the fan!? It seems like its all segmented training and it could be more benificial to integrate it all into one??
I know each skill needs to be honed and worked on. But how do you guys feel you put it all together and test, or practice going as close to total colobration of all your skills in as realistick, or total issuing of everything you've learnt.

I not really trying to make any kind of point here, just thinking out loud.

I know tournaments are by no means the be all - end all of testing. But i remember when i firs got into MA's in a style of karate called kyiokaishikai, where the test for black belt was having to fight 100 fights in a row to prove all your skills had come together. How many people would be interested in such testing?...and how do you think you would go?

hunt1
10-25-2002, 05:00 AM
s.teebas

Loks like you have reached a mid point in your WC. You are talking about an issue that we all have faced or will face. How do we know what we do will really work.

All I can tell you is what I did and have done to answer that question. At the time I was living in Chicago I took out adds in a weekly paper under the martial arts catagory. The add said I was looking for those of any martial art or combat system that wanted to train and spar in a friendly manner in order to see how other arts work and to get better at their art. I ran this ad off and on for 2 years. Got several good work out partners. A few bad.
You need to have confidence in your WC because you will get those that like to fight. At times it can get unfriendly. I learned a great deal and got lots of exposure to everything out there. When i moved to Tampa Florida I did the same thing and hooked up with a group of professional fighters and instructors that like to test in a private setting. Many have reputations or large schools so it is important to protect results or outcomes of 'training sessions'.

So in short run adds looking for training partners .You will get some.