PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Three Battles

buddhapalm
10-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Dear Friends,
I have long wondered about this question, but never asked. I figured one of you would definitely know.

In the Shaolin system there is a technique, form and/or theory called the "Three Battles"

Can someone explain to me what the "Three Battles" are ?

Are they something like, or related to the "Six Harmonies" ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm

joedoe
10-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Philosophically the 3 battles are the battles against ignorance, hatred and greed. How this relates to the form I can't remember. Sorry

mantis108
10-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi Buddhapalm,

If I am not mistaken three battles are the battles between the body, the mind, and the spirit. It is about being empowered by these three realms through practicing the arts yet there are personal battles to be fought be it phyiscal, mental or emotional to maintain the delicate balance of the individual. Whether you be the master of or you being mastered by these three realms depends a on how well you fought these three personal battles.

Regards

Mantis108

NorthernShaolin
10-25-2002, 08:33 AM
buddhapalm,

I found some infomation but it is hard for me to translate because the info is written in simplified chinese characters and I never adjusted to it. My soure is China's Wu Shu Great Dictionary1990, ISBN 7-5009-0463-0

It lists Three Battles as:
Three Battles is a set found in Tiger style. It contains 37 movements (tehcniques or lyrics) of which contains basic horse stances and hand techniques. Page 156

Three Battles is an excerise in the Crane Style that consist of 10 techniques or postures as related to the staff. It is practice in four directions and in nine rows. Page 183.

Sorry but I really have a hard time translating the rest. It is not much left however.

TenTigers
10-26-2002, 10:05 PM
Three Battles Fist is called Sam Jien Kuen-it is the main fist set taught in many Fukienese styles such as Tiger, Ngoh Mei P'ai, Ngo Cho Kun, White Crane, Village Hung Kuen, and others. It has emigrated to Okinawa, where it is known as Sanchin kata. Kanryo Higashionna went to Fukien and learned White Crane and Fut Ga LoHon Kuen, and taught Chojun Miyagi, who re-named it Go-Ju Ryu. Kanbun Uechi also went to Fukien and learned it and his son, Kanei called his art Uechi-Ryu. It consists of dynamic tension, iron body training,infighting, vital point mapping and striking, hand trapping, leg trapping,joint locking,multiple impact striking-which is used to destroy the iron body as well. It is pretty much complete in an of itself.