PDA

View Full Version : Question on BJJ

Yung Apprentice
10-24-2002, 09:36 PM
My friend recently started training with an uncle of his friend in BJJ, who is said to be an excellent teacher. My friend happens to be a little overweight, maybe 20 or 25 lbs over where he should be. The teacher however won't train him until he loses that weight. I find this a little odd. Is this a common practice among BJJ schools? The don't train people if they are overweight? I find this odd, because isn't it good to spar with people of all shapes and sizes?

Merryprankster
10-25-2002, 03:27 AM
He's probably concerned with liability. Grappling is um... demanding. And it's far MORE demanding than just about anything else you'll ever do, unless you're a gymnast or a swimmer or a boxer or a dancer.

It's a matter of being in shape. Has nothing to do with the weight per se. I find it odd though, that the instructor doesn't just bring him alons slowly.

Xebsball
10-25-2002, 11:20 AM
I'm not a bjj person, but thats very unusual, or weird.

Liokault
10-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Surly if the BJJ instructor wont teach over weight guys then he will have a very small class as long as hes teaching in the US of A!!

Hey just kidding:D

omegapoint
10-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Surly if the BJJ instructor wont teach over weight guys then he will have a very small class as long as hes teaching in the US of A!!

Hey just kidding:D

Hey, no need to kid! You are 100% right. Fat-arses here always think that inshape people are skinny unless they look bulky! Most folks in the USA are skinny or fat. Deviant sex is the way most Americans get exercise, hahaha! The land of extremes does it again.

Then again you would think that limeys, being of primarily kraut stock, are fat arses, too. Aren't they? After all limey's are just gay-sounding yanks, and yanks are smooth-talking, folks of angle, saxon and jutte heritage (most even the Black folk). Rome lives, hahaha! The Teutonic Knight brotherhood, made sure it would not wane...

It has begun. Bye-bye!

Liokault
10-27-2002, 02:34 AM
Then again you would think that limeys, being of primarily kraut stock, are fat arses, too. Aren't they?

Hey I resent that remark!!!!! Grrrr Gremans.

I have read that its almost as bad over here and is getting worse with kids not getting to exersize out side due to parental paranoia and the massive increase in fast food avaliability.

Also if we are going to insult broad steriotypes can I just say that I find the Welsh lazy and rediculouse and the scotts drunk and agressive!!!!

Ok so far we got Germans, English, Americans, welsh and scotish.

omegapoint
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey don't forget the drunkin' Micks!

TaoBoy
10-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Sounds strange to me. At my school there are a few guys that are overweight and boy do they use it when they get position! Of course, it also hinders their speed and flexibilty though.

MA fanatic
11-07-2002, 08:25 PM
I train in BJJ and Muay Thai, and there are some overweight people who train with me. The interesting part, is that though they appear overweight, their endurance is quite good. Some are even pretty fast. However, I have also seen my instructors turn some people down from training for various health reasons. I'm not sure who this instructor was you're talking about. If he's a good teacher, he should be able to work anyone into a system at the right pace for the student. Maybe he knows something about the kid you don't.
MA fanatic

Yung Apprentice
11-08-2002, 02:12 AM
The kid is nine years older than me.(29) And as far as I know he's healthy. I play full court basketball with him a lot and, we often do that for a four hours non-stop and he's never shown a sign of health problems. He's taken TKD in the past, Aikido, Japanese Juijitsu, Shotokan Karate, and some Mui Thai. I also asked that question too, and he said he's fine just a little over weight. So I don't think it's health problems.

MA fanatic
11-08-2002, 10:15 PM
If he's healthy, I'd have to question the legitimacy of the bjj instructor. In bjj, teachers always grapple students. If the instructor is not good, he may not want to role with a bigger guy.
From what you describe, I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be grappling. If he's fit, his extra weight can be an advantage in grappling (if used right).
MA fanatic

OneStrike
11-28-2002, 07:24 AM
That does sound very odd...The instructor didn't explain his position, I guess?

Yung Apprentice
11-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Not really. Just said he wanted him to lose some weight before he could teach him.